Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 14th May 2015, 11:25 PM   #31
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I don't think there are quite enough details yet...

Very nice!
Old 15th May 2015, 01:14 AM   #32
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

Andy you aint fixed that bump yet . So we are going to have a mixture of ESB and Ep VII
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 01:31 AM   #33
fixer1977
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop

Looks rather lovely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fourth Power
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...t=Fourth+power

Wrigley : Ace of Gums
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14890
fixer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 01:56 AM   #34
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by overseer View Post
I don't think there are quite enough details yet...

Very nice!

Actually, I'm not quite finished detailing the escape pods yet A few more pipes and bits need putting in the background to make it a little more busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
Andy you aint fixed that bump yet . So we are going to have a mixture of ESB and Ep VII
It'll be a mix of what I consider the best bits yes. Although, since I already modelled an ESB type escape pod, I'll keep that in there as a layer for the end user to choose. I suspect I'll do both types of radar dish for a similar reason so that we have a choice. Even within EPVII there are inconsistencies. They made a physical model but the engines don't match up at all with the engines as briefly seen in the cgi version in the trailer. It doesn't seem like so much extra work to also do both sorts of engine.

As far as the bump goes, I have to do some massive gouges next to that hole next.

In fact the engines in the trailer worry me. The high res shot has blue light from the engine spilling over onto parts that I don't think they can illuminate. Not quite figured that one out yet. If anyone can explain the blue light on the underneath of the falcon here I'd be happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	star-wars-screengrab.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	78244  
Old 15th May 2015, 02:23 AM   #35
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Well i know its slatted under there and on top. The flaps or reverse thrust flaps have never been shown as far as i know in operation. There is a pictures going around of how they work. The rams go up and the flaps turn in thus the trust is against the flaps and directed back out. A bit like some older jet engines did for slowing down.

However we are speculating far to much as its not a real craft and of course Hollywood trickery sometimes does not bear to close scrutiny and especially between CGI and real sets.
Old 15th May 2015, 03:28 AM   #36
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

I haven't seen a pic of the flaps in operation - at least not an official one. ANy link would be handy. I still think the light wouldn't spill in that way even if the flaps were moved. Maybe I'll get a clearer picture when I model it.
Old 15th May 2015, 05:52 AM   #37
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

I've just found a bit more ref for the new EPVII falcon and found something that tickled me, but if I find this amusing then I think I'm going off the deep end

Here are 2 pictures. One is my old falcon model. I ran out of steam doing the nurnies and rushed many parts of it. One such part was the whatever it is on the side. On the original I think it was a tamiya gearbox part. I just did a sub-d box, froze it and then smooth shifted some lines out to create a kind of grid thing.

Now look at the new EPVII model. Not exactly the same but how prophetic was I??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ep_VII_SMALL_MODEL_1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	78245  Click image for larger version

Name:	MF_CROOK_1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	78246  
Old 15th May 2015, 06:58 AM   #38
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
I haven't seen a pic of the flaps in operation - at least not an official one. ANy link would be handy. I still think the light wouldn't spill in that way even if the flaps were moved. Maybe I'll get a clearer picture when I model it.
There was a good diagram of it on a forum and i cant seem to find it.

Page 71 of the Haines Millennium Falcon book has an explanation. Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	78247  
Old 15th May 2015, 07:34 AM   #39
biotech

Gallery
3DS Max Bryce Poser Terragen Vue Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro

The blue under the falcon is just bloom isn't it?
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 08:24 AM   #40
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Isn't that the light spilling out between those flap things?
Old 15th May 2015, 08:31 AM   #41
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I've looked closer. It could be light, reflected from the top of the housing, hitting the edge I've circled. Maybe?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenClip.png
Views:	100
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	78248  Click image for larger version

Name:	refelceted.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	78249  
Old 15th May 2015, 08:35 AM   #42
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

That haynes manual pic helps - I assume the plates are working on a pivot there, but you cant angle them down very much with the actuator without cutting grooves in the plates underneath, raising the actuator base from the plate, or having another hidden telescopic actuator at the head of the current one. Raising it is fine to work as some kind of atmospheric flap, but rotating it down to put it in the thrust seems like every solution has a drawback. To even get close those plates need to be rotated by one hell of an angle.

Overall (been thinking about this most of today) I think I like the hidden actuator in the head the most, as that'll result in the model looking identical as standard, and is feasible engineering.
Old 15th May 2015, 08:39 AM   #43
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Robb View Post
I've looked closer. It could be light, reflected from the top of the housing, hitting the edge I've circled. Maybe?
No I don't think that explains it. Look at this attached pic. It spills onto what is labelled as the stabiliser - the triangle pointy thing. On the top and bottom they are fairly symmetrical, and placed well back. How is this being lit by the engine at all up its length? Could be via the join in the plates but that's not much at all - certainly zero on the physical model, and if it is, why no blue light on the top part of the model in the screenshot? I think it is in enough of it's own shadow to show.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	falcon_light.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	78250  Click image for larger version

Name:	falcon_light2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	78251  
Old 15th May 2015, 08:59 AM   #44
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I've heard it said that the shots we see in teasers are often not finalized. You may be seeing an error that will be corrected for the final shot.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 09:32 AM   #45
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery

We can't rule out, that it's simply not a 100% complete model. They could be putting finishing touches into these sequences up until the last minute. I remember seeing the making of "Revenge of the Sith", and they have post artists, that literally "paint out" or "retouch" inconsistencies frame by frame. Building models, CGI or otherwise is expensive, so minor details may not get fixed if they can be gotten away with. Personally, I would do what looks best for you. You can always treat it as a "build" that we never saw in canon due ot the time frame not being covered yet officially, and since Han was constantly tinkering with it, who knows what can change.
Old 15th May 2015, 09:33 AM   #46
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
I've heard it said that the shots we see in teasers are often not finalized. You may be seeing an error that will be corrected for the final shot.
Great minds.....

I guess it would also help if I refreshed the page again, before continuing to write my post; or stop getting side tracked!
Old 15th May 2015, 10:46 AM   #47
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Yeah we are probably over thinking it to much. Could be a rush to get a teaser out and they just let it slide.

I mean most of the MF CGI and Exterior and Interior sets did not fit each other.

Andy ive tried to find the diagram someone did to explain the thrust vector flaps, but still no luck. Of course this is not cannon either because apart from the manuals and SW books there is no explanation of how they actually would work.

Its the same with the gunports and how they got into them and how they would work. Because of how they were sighted many assumed that's the firing position and its not, the guns point 90 degrees from the window but when not used they lay flat on top of the window.

I think the thrust vector flaps are the same thing. If you find the incredible cross sections pictures which are now all over the interweb you can see them and also something called the thruster magnet.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:09 PM   #48
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Well I'm a long way from rigging it up so I'll just think about it from time to time. I doubt anyone would use a rigged falcon rear either, it would just look odd in a render I think and beak the symmetry or familiarity too much. Anyway, we'll see.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:11 PM   #49
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery

I think the biggest problem is, that for one, most of the time neither the writers, designers, or production crew are necessarily fans, or might know as much about the technical details. I mean there are several levels of fans. I do like to know the science behind the fiction if at all possible, because ultimately designs are often based on a more futuristic version of currently available tech or concept designs.

Secondly there just isn't always the time or budget available to add all the details that you might want to add, and thirdly you have the producer/director who might make changes. It's a little like George Lucas told the CG animator that was working on the fight between Yoda and Dooku regarding the behavior of Yoda's robes. He told him he preferred the 'romantic version' opposed to the 'realistic' one, so that the robes are more flowing.

I guess what I'm trying to say, the average fan, that doesn't try and create their own 3D model, especially while fast, dynamic shots in the movie are shown, wouldn't notice those details. I would seriously just go with what feels best. It's your model, and there should always be room for some creative freedom.
Old 15th May 2015, 01:03 PM   #50
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

I think there's a sliding scale.

I'm probably at the extreme end! But I think a lot of geeks are the early adopters of SF, and geeks tend to notice faults, particularly if they are easy (e.g. not realising that light years are a unit of distance not time). It kind of destroys the willing suspension of disbelief that is so important to enjoying a fantastic story.

The other aspect for me is that one danger of SF is deus ex machina endings - if there are no constraints there's nothing to stop someone 'reversing the polarity' (putting the battery in the wrong way round), and inventing a super weapon. Which will be forgotten by the next installment.

It removes the challenge from the situation the characters face.

That's one thing I found spectacularly good about "Space Brothers" anime - Highly realistic re astronauts careers, but they STILL manage to find credible ways through the challenges the characters face that I could not see coming...

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 08:59 PM   #51
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
No I don't think that explains it. Look at this attached pic. It spills onto what is labelled as the stabiliser - the triangle pointy thing. On the top and bottom they are fairly symmetrical, and placed well back. How is this being lit by the engine at all up its length? Could be via the join in the plates but that's not much at all - certainly zero on the physical model, and if it is, why no blue light on the top part of the model in the screenshot? I think it is in enough of it's own shadow to show.
Ill positioned lights......
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 12:10 AM   #52
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Andy, don't forget the landing thrusters, they were used and shown. Haines i think has a pictures of them if you need it.
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:11 AM   #53
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

I hate making mistakes, but I'd got some of the proportions wrong, or really I was trying to work from multiple reference and that's not going to cut it for the falcon. I had to go back and scale things more appropriately and I think this is much better. Second time around for the top bar thing, and I'm detailing it a little better now too. So I'm back to where I was at the last WIP now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MF_WIP_16.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	78328  
Old 23rd May 2015, 01:18 PM   #54
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery

Yeah, that looks excellent. Nice work!
Old 23rd May 2015, 01:24 PM   #55
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Looking good mate.
Old 24th May 2015, 03:33 PM   #56
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Detailing complete on this section. Time to move onto another part. Last time I made the falcon I did it like a viper render - move around adding detail until I'm happy with it, but I ran out of steam in the end.

This time I've got a more brutal approach - detail each part completely before moving on. The model can't be called finished until I've detailed the last part so I can't take any shortcuts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MF_WIP_22.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	78339  Click image for larger version

Name:	MF_WIP_23.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	78340  
Old 12th Jun 2015, 08:46 AM   #57
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Looks great mate, any further updates.
Old 12th Jun 2015, 12:27 PM   #58
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

No, a life crisis has hit and I've not had time sadly. However, it's most likely temporary and I'm keen to get back on it.
Old 12th Jun 2015, 12:48 PM   #59
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery

Yeah, how's she flyin'?
Old 12th Jun 2015, 07:01 PM   #60
wharding85
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Cinema 4D LightWave Poser Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects

argh this is making me want to watch the new film even more, roll on Christmas lol. Amazing model though would look amazing in any star wars animation
wharding85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress