Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Showcase All finalized work, 2D, 3D, and animations

Old 6th Feb 2011, 08:09 AM   #1
SG_Stargazers
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

Default Military - Napoleonic Era Cannon.

I spent most of the day yesterday working on this mesh, and finally am ready to show off this render. I was reading Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester, and was inspired to create something from that era. I looked but was unable to find a decent cannon and or British frigate mesh that I could use in an animation, so I decided I'd have to build one.

Comments and criticism are both welcome and appreciated.

Note: all models in the scene were created by myself so no credit is needed, also the background image of the ship was found doing a simple Google search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cannon-interior02.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	738.2 KB
ID:	45663  
SG_Stargazers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2011, 02:23 PM   #2
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Its a nice start but the lighting is making it look.... off. What I mean is that you have a nice strong key light coming straight in the cannon port. Looking at the shadow of it and the bottom edge of the port cover, the light would be about 20 deg in elevation and directly in line with the port. The grating light is about 90 deg to the key shining on the side of the cannon. The grill is a nice touch but it should be very soft edged. With it as hard edged as it is now, I would expect the grill to be visible in the shot. Its also screaming for some volumetric lighting since the interior looks nice and smokey.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2011, 03:45 PM   #3
SG_Stargazers
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

thanks, I'll begin re-working this a bit. I wondered if anyone would suggest volumetric lighting, to be honest I'm a novice when it comes to using volumetric lighting, and so I try and not use it whenever possible; however, as you say this is one instance where such neglect shows. I'll try and see about fixing this up, thanks for the advice.
SG_Stargazers is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase