Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 27th Jul 2016, 05:19 AM   #31
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

I am hoping it is misdirection, and that model is not used in the series.
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2016, 11:27 AM   #32
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

Well, if we all think we could've done better on that teaser, here's our chance: They put out cattle-call for VFX workers on "Discovery" this morning.
Old 29th Jul 2016, 06:05 PM   #33
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Yeah I saw that. looks like an 8 month contract. Not sure I could do the commute from San Diego, but I'm sorely tempted to apply.
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2016, 07:30 PM   #34
DaveK
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop Premiere

Treybor, with your help the graphics would be great!
Old 29th Jul 2016, 08:21 PM   #35
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery

Plus, you can apply as a modeler and not get lost in the crowd. It's blowing my mind that there are dozens of views for most of the jobs, over a hundred for "3D modeler," and over a thousand for "Lightwave Generalist." I hope there are managers or something somewhere taking note of the labor supply being implied here, especially with the story recently that studios were getting worried about the LA VFX scene losing capacity to keep up with demand.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 10:31 PM   #36
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

They changed the premier date from January to May, they claim it is because “We aim to dream big and deliver, and that means making sure the demands of physical and post-production for a show that takes place entirely in space, and the need to meet an air date, don’t result in compromised quality. Before heading into production, we evaluated these realities with our partners at CBS and they agreed: Star Trek deserves the very best, and these extra few months will help us achieve a vision we can all be proud of.”
- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/new-....ofj5ZH15.dpuf
I think this means they are making changes because they realize it's in trouble before it airs.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2016, 10:16 AM   #37
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery

I don't think they've even gotten far enough to know it's in trouble. If they were only getting the sets together in July, staffed up VFX in August, and still haven't finished casting, it's not surprising that there'd be a delay. January has been looking somewhere between "rushed" and "unrealistic" for a while, now.

I'm just glad they aren't remaining committed to a date it's all-but-impossible for them to make. Looking at you, The Motion Picture.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 07:12 PM   #38
Roger Grein
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Sounds good to me. I prefer a re-schedule over a rushed
premiere date.
Roger Grein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2016, 07:20 PM   #39
TrekMD
Registered Member
 Gallery
Paint Shop Pro

I agree. Let them take more time to make a better product.
TrekMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2016, 09:52 PM   #40
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Illustrator Photoshop After Effects

Is it just me or does this:
https://youtu.be/bqm9HSYbf0o

look an awful lot like this:
https://youtu.be/-7YOM2wOYJQ
lightborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2016, 11:12 PM   #41
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery

Common origin. They're both inspired by the Phase II asteroid-base concept art, and the launch sequence from the first movie.
Old 28th Oct 2016, 02:01 PM   #42
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY: BRYAN FULLER NO LONGER SHOWRUNNER BUT WILL REMAIN INVOLVED WITH CBS ALL ACCESS SERIES

Share. Akiva Goldsman also reportedly joining in key role.
By Jim Vejvoda Due to the demands of having three television series in the works, Bryan Fuller (Hannibal) has reportedly stepped down as the showrunner on Star Trek: Discovery, the upcoming CBS All Access series.

According to Variety, it was decided late last week that day-to-day oversight of Trek will be handed over to the show's executive producers Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts, both of whom are close to Fuller. Fuller will remain "actively involved" with Star Trek: Discovery but just not on a day-to-day basis. Fuller is currently handling shooting and post-production on Starz's American Gods and is prepping an Amazing Stories reboot for NBC.

Fuller scripted the first two episodes of Discovery and, as Variety notes, he "has hammered out the broader story arc and mythology for the new Trek realm." Discovery had marked a return home for Fuller, who began his career writing for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager.

Production on Star Trek: Discovery begins next month in Toronto. The show's premiere date was recently postponed from January 2017 until May.

"Sources emphasized that CBS execs have been happy with the material that Fuller has developed to date but became increasingly concerned that he had too much on his plate and there was no willingness to delay the premiere date once more," according to the trade.

Furthermore, Oscar winner Akiva Goldsman -- who worked with Star Trek: Discovery producer Alex Kurtzman on Fringe and is also friendly with Fuller -- is also expected to join the series "in a top creative role. He’s envisioned as serving as producing support for Berg and Harberts, Fuller and exec producer Alex Kurtzman as they juggle the demands of the series."

Goldsman is also running point on the Transformers film franchise for Paramount and Hasbro, and is a producer on The Dark Tower. As a movie screenwriter, his credits include Joel Schumacher's two Batman movies, The Da Vinci Code, I Am Legend, and A Beautiful Mind, for which he received the Academy Award,

Star Trek: Discovery reportedly carries a budget of nearly $6-7 million per episode. Variety adds that, while they have not been officially announced, the show's cast been "filled" save for its main protagonist, whom Fuller has revealed is a female lieutenant commander.

UPDATE: CBS provided THR with the following statement: "We are extremely happy with the creative direction of Star Trek: Discovery and the strong foundation that Bryan Fuller has helped us create for the series. ... Due to Bryan’s other projects, he is no longer able to oversee the day-to-day of Star Trek, but he remains an executive producer, and will continue to map out the story arc for the entire season. Alex Kurtzman, co-creator and executive producer, along with Fuller’s producing partners and longtime collaborators, Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts, will also continue to oversee the show with the existing writing and producing team. Bryan is a brilliant creative talent and passionate Star Trek fan, who has helped us chart an exciting course for the series. We are all committed to seeing this vision through and look forward to premiering Star Trek: Discovery this coming May 2017.”

THR claims that, in addition its female lead, the cast "also will feature an openly gay actor as one of the male leads (which Fuller confirmed), a female admiral, a male Klingon captain, a male admiral, a male adviser and a British male doctor."

------------------

The show hasn't even aired yet but they are already having problems just as I thought. I have extreme doubts this will work. I bet it will either be cancelled or moved to CW like Supergirl was. Not many people will pay for the app.
Old 29th Nov 2016, 05:26 PM   #43
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

Discovery Beams Up Three Cast Members

Doug Jones, Michelle Yeoh and Anthony Rapp have been announced as the first three actors cast for Star Trek: Discovery.

Star Trek: Discovery, Doug Jones, Michelle Yeoh and Anthony Rapp

Jones will play Lt. Saru, a Starfleet science officer and an alien species new to the Star Trek universe. He is a respected actor with a large following of sci-fi and horror fans as a result of his creature performances in the likes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Hellboy, Legion, Pan’s Labyrinth and The Strain.

Yeoh is set to play Captain Georgiou, the Starfleet captain aboard the starship Shenzhou. She is an internationally known actress and action star whose many credits include Tomorrow Never Dies and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Rapp will beam aboard as Lt. Stamets, an astromycologist, fungus expert and Starfleet science officer on the starship Discovery. He is best known for his stage work in such Broadway productions as Rent, You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown and If/Then, and also counts among his films credits School Ties, A Beautiful Mind and Rent.
Old 6th Mar 2017, 11:45 PM   #44
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

I just read in Star Trek Magazine that they moved the release date again except they aren't saying when the premier will be. This is just further proof to me that this show is going to be cancelled after the one season. They also announced a couple of the new actors and the characters they play and one will be the only charecter we know, Sarek, Spocks father.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 04:13 AM   #45
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

There has been talk of a digital Leonard Nimoy being put into it at some point, with the success of Tarkin in Rogue One. Adam Nimoy is all for it as an idea, which helps.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 02:24 PM   #46
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
There has been talk of a digital Leonard Nimoy being put into it at some point, with the success of Tarkin in Rogue One. Adam Nimoy is all for it as an idea, which helps.
Veeeeeeeeery different thing to achieve on a TV budget. I guarantee you the cost of Tarkin alone could pay for an entire episode of a TV show. I didn't think Tarkin looked particularly good when moving, and that was many of the best artists in the world and had a huge budget behind it. Don't expect the same quality.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2017, 02:59 PM   #47
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
Veeeeeeeeery different thing to achieve on a TV budget. I guarantee you the cost of Tarkin alone could pay for an entire episode of a TV show. I didn't think Tarkin looked particularly good when moving, and that was many of the best artists in the world and had a huge budget behind it. Don't expect the same quality.
It's obviously not in the plan for season 1, but a few years down the road, if successful, might be possible. I'd like to see them try anyway. I thought Tarkin was much better than Clu in Tron L, I can see a time when you can't tell it's digital. Tarkin's primary problem I thought was in the voice.
Old 8th Mar 2017, 09:15 AM   #48
rustythe1
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Vue Gimp Photoshop After Effects Premiere

if we get a season one, its been put off until summer now for new castings. and some of those lightwave artists that got on it have now been cast aside.

"At last, i have a website!"

Intel® Core™ i7 980X Extreme Edition Processor, (3.33GHz,12MB Cache) Asus P6X58D-E-USB3, 128GB MLC SSD SATA Solid State Drive, 1536MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX480 with CUDA Graphics Accelerator, G.Skill 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory (6x 2GB KIt), thermaltake level 10 case, windows 7 ultimate 64bit
rustythe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2017, 10:21 AM   #49
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
if we get a season one, its been put off until summer now for new castings. and some of those lightwave artists that got on it have now been cast aside.
I believe they will film one season but everyone I have talked to says the same thing, they will not pay to watch it even if it's good but the way it's looking, I see this being worse than Enterprise.
Old 8th Mar 2017, 10:54 AM   #50
rustythe1
Contributing Member

Gallery

well it goes out on Netflix and a few other channels the day after the premier so there will be lots of choices, the teasers are actually fake, the ones on imdb are fan made so there's not really much to go on at the moment, I think they've got a good cast

Intel® Core™ i7 980X Extreme Edition Processor, (3.33GHz,12MB Cache) Asus P6X58D-E-USB3, 128GB MLC SSD SATA Solid State Drive, 1536MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX480 with CUDA Graphics Accelerator, G.Skill 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory (6x 2GB KIt), thermaltake level 10 case, windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Old 16th Mar 2017, 05:09 PM   #51
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
well it goes out on Netflix and a few other channels the day after the premier so there will be lots of choices, the teasers are actually fake, the ones on imdb are fan made so there's not really much to go on at the moment, I think they've got a good cast
It only goes to Netflix outside of the United States, if your in the US you can only watch on CBS All Access.
Old 19th Mar 2017, 07:11 AM   #52
rustythe1
Contributing Member

Gallery

according to wikki it will also go out on ctv, space, and crave at the same time, but it has now been delayed again until Fall 2017

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe