Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 25th Sep 2017, 12:11 AM   #1
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Default Star Trek Discovery

I really liked it. Two episodes in and I like that it's doing something different. Thumbs up so far, we'll see how it proceeds

I just hope CBS' decision to put this out on a subscription service nobody wants doesn't sink the show with it.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2017, 02:03 AM   #2
Amras
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
I really liked it. Two episodes in and I like that it's doing something different. Thumbs up so far, we'll see how it proceeds

I just hope CBS' decision to put this out on a subscription service nobody wants doesn't sink the show with it.
Not seen it yet, but it is on Netflix. That is not the subscription service you are revering too, right?
I haven't switched on the "normal" TV for 2 years now. Just saying.

Will have a look at the first two episode in the evening. *eager*
Elite Dangerous: Inara
Amras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2017, 11:44 AM   #3
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras View Post
Not seen it yet, but it is on Netflix. That is not the subscription service you are revering too, right?
I haven't switched on the "normal" TV for 2 years now. Just saying.

Will have a look at the first two episode in the evening. *eager*
Nope, Netflix has a wide user base and a lot of great content, CBS all access is new and has Discovery and..... nothing else worth the subscription fee. It's a stupid business decision to try the subscription model on a network without good content, it can't last against far better competition.

Also it's probably the CBS viewing/subscription figures that'll be the driving force behind Discovery getting future seasons, not how well it fares on Netflix internationally. Partly because Netflix isn't transparent about its viewing figures, but also because the US viewer numbers will matter far more to the studio than international. If the show was awful and only lasted a season because of quality then fine, but if it's good but only lasts a season because it's sabotaged by bad business decisions that's not cool, that's Firefly all over again.

Can't get it on Netflix here in Canada anyway.
Old 25th Sep 2017, 10:21 PM   #4
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
Nope, Netflix has a wide user base and a lot of great content, CBS all access is new and has Discovery and..... nothing else worth the subscription fee. It's a stupid business decision to try the subscription model on a network without good content, it can't last against far better competition.
I read an interesting theory that All Access is probably less about being a viable platform that makes money directly, and more a negotiating cudgel against Amazon, Netflix, and others. Basically, they CBS wants to be able to say during their next negotiation that they got so many people to pay $7 a month (for the months of October and November 2017) just for their own content, so they deserve more money for licensing it out to dedicated streaming services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotech View Post
Why is she called Michael?
That's a Bryan Fuller creator signature. He likes to give his female leads traditionally male names. George on Dead Like Me, for instance.

In-universe, an interview mentioned she was named after her father (so she's Michael Burnham, Junior?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
By the way, on Netflix it's presented in HDR... and wow!!! If you get the chance to view it on a suitably equipped TV, you won't be disappointed!
I haven't watched via their dedicated apps, so I'm not sure how it is on TVs, but on a computer, CBS All Access seems to max out at a razor-sharp 720p resolution. So, I guess it's nice to know this'll be worth getting on disc visually, at least.

Also, there have been some orthos released already. Eaglemoss has Shenzhou and Discovery with textures, and there was a video with higher resolution and more angles on the Discovery, though it looks like it's actually the prototype model for the Christmas ornament and not the show model (the surface detail looks a bit thick, and there are no texture maps). Still, I don't think they've made it this easy for fan artists this early.
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Harbinger
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cgc View Post
I haven't watched via their dedicated apps, so I'm not sure how it is on TVs, but on a computer, CBS All Access seems to max out at a razor-sharp 720p resolution. So, I guess it's nice to know this'll be worth getting on disc visually, at least.
I couldn't tell if the episodes were being streamed in HD or Full HD, but the HDR presentation is breathtaking... pity it isn't 4K, but we can't have everything!

Definitely would be curious to see the comparison between the streaming and physical Blu-ray versions. Whenever I'm in-store or on Amazon, I try and see if the 4K Blu-ray version of a particular movie or TV series is available over the standard edition, but I'd be very surprised if Discovery came out in anything other than standard Blu-ray or DVD. In fact, the only TV series I've seen listed so far in 4K/HDR is Westworld.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170926_142735 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	84517  

VR Gaming PC
i7 2600K, 16Gb, GTX 1070, 512Gb & 500Gb SSDs, 3x4Tb HDDs, LG BD-RE, Oculus Rift / Touch

1080p Gaming PC
i5 3470, 16Gb, GTX 1050Ti, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD, ASUS BD-ROM

Laptops
Surface Book and 13" MacBook Pro

Tablet
Surface Pro 4
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Meurig

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cgc View Post
I read an interesting theory that All Access is probably less about being a viable platform that makes money directly, and more a negotiating cudgel against Amazon, Netflix, and others. Basically, they CBS wants to be able to say during their next negotiation that they got so many people to pay $7 a month (for the months of October and November 2017) just for their own content, so they deserve more money for licensing it out to dedicated streaming services.
Good for them, bad for Discovery if it gets caught in the middle. We'll see how it ends up, but pretty much every review states how the streaming model is the primary thing that could hurt this show.
Old 25th Sep 2017, 06:47 AM   #7
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Canada is getting it on space which I think is a sat sub? Anywhere else off the Americas is Netflix the next day and is the only way to get 5.1 as All Access is 2.0
Old 25th Sep 2017, 06:59 AM   #8
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

In a flash of enthusiasm I watched the first scene this morning. It was awfully cheesy. I hope the rest of the episode is as good as the reviews suggest. But that first opener - they couldn't write better than that??
Old 25th Sep 2017, 09:39 AM   #9
amdfe
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Photoshop

My $0.02 after Episode 1.

1. The opening "badge" sequence was both clever and effective; however, it's a blatant rip-off of Star Trek: Into Darkness, so full credit must go to JJ;
2. I'm no expert on Klingonese, but is this series also taking liberties with the Klingon language?
3. Normally I would be confident with Michelle Yeoh, but she was poorly cast for her role and is failing miserably as captain in my opinion. Once the action moved to ship interior, I found myself fantasizing that Kate Mulgrew walks onto set and terminates the holodeck program;
4. In fact, the acting is generally stale all around, as if the cast is already expecting a short run;
5. Still, the 40 minutes passed quickly, and I'm trying to understand why.

I will continue watching Episode 2 with an open mind.

Facebook | YouTube Channel
amdfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2017, 12:13 PM   #10
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

I watched it last night and while I enjoyed the episode, I thought the opening credits were awful, they looked like a badly drawn cartoon from the 70's. If this show was on CBS or CW I'd watch it but I can't see paying for it. I just can't justify paying $5-$10 a month for this. I still think it looks too modern to be 10 years before Kirk unless it was in the Kelvin universe and not in the Prime universe. .
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2017, 01:50 PM   #11
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewriter View Post
I watched it last night and while I enjoyed the episode, I thought the opening credits were awful, they looked like a badly drawn cartoon from the 70's. If this show was on CBS or CW I'd watch it but I can't see paying for it. I just can't justify paying $5-$10 a month for this. I still think it looks too modern to be 10 years before Kirk unless it was in the Kelvin universe and not in the Prime universe. .
Really?

I realy enjoyed them, the most innovative part!

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2017, 03:11 PM   #12
biotech

Gallery
3DS Max Bryce Poser Terragen Vue Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro

Its kinda neutral, not really bad, not really good. Why is she called Michael? The holograms annoyed me, not just because they are a century too soon, but that they walk around and lean on things in a room they are not in. If we only see one person as the hologram why do they seem to get a whole room so that they have complete spacial awareness? Does their holographic room create solid walls they can lean on?
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2017, 03:22 PM   #13
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Two episodes in and my early opinion is that it's awful. Bizarre story with very shaky logic to it, and poorly written characters with unsound motivation leading to their decisions. This is the best they can come up with? I guess I'll give it a couple more episodes but it's pretty dire. The captain was a block of wood, so all in all I'm glad the Klingon (if that's what he was) staked her like a vampire. There's a list of idiotic stuff in it a mile long.
Old 25th Sep 2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Amras
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Photoshop

I have to say, I liked it. I am not a big Trek fan. So I am definitely no fan boy. But I really enjoyed it. CGI was great for a series, convincing actors and so on. But I think they did try to make a West World kind of opening credits, and that failed horrendously.
Elite Dangerous: Inara
Amras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2017, 03:28 PM   #15
Harbinger
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

Watched the first episode and certainly is impressive, but not sure about the redesigned Klingons. Probably continue watching episode two before bedtime.

By the way, on Netflix it's presented in HDR... and wow!!! If you get the chance to view it on a suitably equipped TV, you won't be disappointed!

VR Gaming PC
i7 2600K, 16Gb, GTX 1070, 512Gb & 500Gb SSDs, 3x4Tb HDDs, LG BD-RE, Oculus Rift / Touch

1080p Gaming PC
i5 3470, 16Gb, GTX 1050Ti, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD, ASUS BD-ROM

Laptops
Surface Book and 13" MacBook Pro

Tablet
Surface Pro 4
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2017, 04:02 PM   #16
Marty Miller
Staff

Gallery
3DS Max Maya Vue Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere

Couldn't help but pass by to say gidhey and share my thoughts. I loved it. I couldn't give a rats about canon. Like many of you, I grew up in the 60s and watched it all through the years, enjoying some and not so much others. Canon has been messed with so many times over the years, and I for one dont really give a damn. Knowing so many Trek veterans have been involved in this show, I for one always believed it was going to something I myself wanted to see.I had no problem with any of the characters and thought they all played out nicely. The bridge was alive and functional with a real sense that everyone was actually doing something , instead of just sitting there looking at the screen all the time. It was dynamic and I loved that. The camera work and editing really brought this too life as well. The effects were first rate for a tv series and I had no criticism there at all. Neville Page and Glenn Hetrick did an incredible job with the makeup and creature design. The Klingons although different, look very cool and I enjoyed this new version somewhat more than what we have seen before. These opening two episodes have yet to reveal even the very ship of the title, so I suspect there is a lot more to be revealed. Trek is personal to all of us who love it, but we will always agree to disagree on a variety of things. Personally, Im very pleased to have watched it and come out without disappointment.
Marty Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2017, 04:03 PM   #17
Roger Grein
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Just finished watching Star Trek Discovery. Loved it. But hated the way the Klingons looked, their ships, the retadrded way they spoke klingon. The title sequence was nice but didn't quite fit. Don't see how this works as a prequel though.
Roger Grein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2017, 05:58 PM   #18
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Watched the first episode and certainly is impressive, but not sure about the redesigned Klingons. Probably continue watching episode two before bedtime.

You can only see it on Netflix if you live outside the US or pay CBS, I'm not sure what the quality is.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2017, 08:49 PM   #19
Adam
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop

I have to say I'm really disappointed by Discovery. All the hype around the female captain who was also a minority. Lauding it as a first et al. Then what do they do? They kill her off in the second episode! And then we see a preview for the rest of the series and what do they do? White male captain all the way! I will not watch it anymore just because of the bait and switch. (This is important to me because I have 4 daughters and we are currently watching The Next Generation together.) But even more so for a lot of the reasons other people mentioned (bad acting, weird storyline, etc.).
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2017, 06:45 AM   #20
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Looked like 720p to me.
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2017, 02:03 PM   #21
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

I found it mixed.

Characters 2 dimensional, but they generally first appear as caricatures of themselves when first introduced in every trek series...

Redesigning klingons? Again? Sounds like a victory for the makeup department over common sense to me.

Actually having peiple IN space, rather than looking at it on a screen was a big plus for me.

Desert landscape and skies were insanely good.

Klingon ship looked like an attempt to use as many polygons as possible for no good reason.

If they had any kind of science advisor they were not listening, loads of howlers in there, (though others are probably a lot less bothered than me).

Nick

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2017, 04:22 PM   #22
Sastrei
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Funny you should mention a science adviser, Andre Bormanis is the science advisor for Orville now.
Sastrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2017, 07:31 AM   #23
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sastrei View Post
Funny you should mention a science adviser, Andre Bormanis is the science advisor for Orville now.
A science advisor who really wanted to be a writer.
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2017, 08:11 AM   #24
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I don't have access to watch this but there is one thing I can say Star Trek: Discovery got right.

It's got the Star Trek touch when it comes to sparking discussions covering the gamut of opinion and also touching off raging debates (not here thankfully).

Re. female character named Michael. When I was a kid (early 1970's) I knew a girl at school who was named George. None of us kids thought it was odd.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2017, 04:34 AM   #25
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

4 episodes in and it's pretty awful still. They've got a giant angry tardigrade that likes space mushrooms which can teleport them anywhere they want to go. That's the worst pseudo copy of Dune I've seen, and so stupid as well. Also, funny that there's no mention of these magic mushrooms in the next two centuries.

None of the characters seem acted well, or more likely they are written badly as the actors involved are quite good in other things. Burnham is being promoted by the stupidity of others it seems, like the suicidal security officer.

The effects are a bit suspect as well, like the teleport. Spinning the ship as part of the sequence looks dodgy, but the contra rotating saucer section is an awful, awful idea.

The Klingons. There's no acting under that make up, so they are one dimensional, and acutely boring. Used only as a remote threat so Discovery has to teleport. Really? Your primary dilithium source has no one in range to help?

This isn't going on the top shelf of Star Trek.
Old 15th Oct 2017, 05:09 PM   #26
Omnipotent
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Modo Vue ZBrush Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
I don't have access to watch this but there is one thing I can say Star Trek: Discovery got right.

It's got the Star Trek touch when it comes to sparking discussions covering the gamut of opinion and also touching off raging debates (not here thankfully).

Re. female character named Michael. When I was a kid (early 1970's) I knew a girl at school who was named George. None of us kids thought it was odd.
Dammit... guess ill have to STFU then
Old 16th Oct 2017, 08:39 AM   #27
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
Dammit... guess ill have to STFU then
ROFL!

Naw, mate, you're just expressing your "gamut of opinion"! Carry on!

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2017, 05:22 AM   #28
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

Well, i have watched all so far, it's getting better.

I don't understand why they hampered themselves with the whole timeline thing. Enterprise tried to do that and did it better than Discovery.

Why did they not just set it 30 years after Voyager or something like that and then just free themselves up to do what they please ?.

I have to agree with Andy this whole space magic mushrooms for propulsion has been done before and as it was playing out onscreen i heard myself shouting, the creature is the key before they revealed that it was the key, that's not a good sign for me.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2017, 01:11 PM   #29
biotech

Gallery
3DS Max Bryce Poser Terragen Vue Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro

So anyone else catch the latest episode of swear trek?
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2017, 01:55 PM   #30
Omnipotent
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Modo Vue ZBrush Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotech View Post
So anyone else catch the latest episode of swear trek?
i did catch the latest STD yes ^^

maybe my fave episode so far, first time i got that trek feeling with these people doing the right thing for once and letting Ripper go i still hate the klingons like why do they look like fish and why is the makeup so Heavy? they have no expressions at all just look at the female warden... facepalm... also the captain i REALLY dont like him and aperantly he escaped his last command alive BUT blew his crew up before doing so.. wtf is this show?

so yeah letting the bug go felt very trek and righteuos but the rest of the episode shit all over that feeling...

burnam is growing on me tho considering how much i despised her in the pilot she is currently the only character i feel have an actual conscience and the only one in the cast carrying the trek feeling atm..

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe