Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

3D Tutorials and your questions on your particular 3D application. Or post questions for general 3D help.

Old 19th Nov 2016, 09:45 AM   #1
joergenvs2
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Default LightWave - Force Awakens/The Expanse Style lighting

Hi all,

I was just dropping a note and have been toying with new lighting for space scenes as per Force Awakens/The Expanse Style lighting techniques used, I have previously used the DP light style from BSG, but the new lighting effect is quite interesting, but haven't got the look quite right. The DP lights or the standard lightwave lighting doesn't quite achieve the right effect i feel.

I was just wondering perhaps if there is a new technique lighting used in the latest Lightwave or if maybe its a newer plugin thats only available for 3DS Max or something?

Just wanted to pick the community experts about this as maybe im just not going about this the right way or not lacking the tools.

Many Thanks
Joergen
joergenvs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 11:56 AM   #2
darthviper107
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max ZBrush Photoshop After Effects Premiere

The issue I'm having with lighting space scenes in 3ds Max is that there's not really any light type that represents the sun correctly. The Sun light object represents it as it filters through the atmosphere, and it changes based on the angle so you can't place it where you want. Then besides that, you can't get a directional light that works outside of the Scanline renderer. I've been messing with using an HDRI light but haven't quite gotten the correct results yet.
Old 28th Nov 2016, 09:09 AM   #3
rustythe1
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Vue Gimp Photoshop After Effects Premiere

well they both use PBR renderers so maybe best off waiting for lightwave next, what scenes in the expanse did you mean as I didn't really see anything that lightwave could not do now, I think they often over expose areas in post so you get a glow effect, you can add that with DP filters or in post after, gives things a more metal look

"At last, i have a website!"

Intel® Core™ i7 980X Extreme Edition Processor, (3.33GHz,12MB Cache) Asus P6X58D-E-USB3, 128GB MLC SSD SATA Solid State Drive, 1536MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX480 with CUDA Graphics Accelerator, G.Skill 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory (6x 2GB KIt), thermaltake level 10 case, windows 7 ultimate 64bit
rustythe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D