Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

3D Tutorials and your questions on your particular 3D application. Or post questions for general 3D help.

Old 29th May 2017, 06:16 AM   #1
mrscott
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Terragen Vue ZBrush Photoshop

Default LightWave - Best Graphics card for open gl view

I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card to get a better open gl view in lightwave 3d. Currently I'm using an asus 650ti 1gb gpu and sometimes if the polycount is high it can be a bit sluggish moving around and I have to revert to bounding box to speed thing up like moving the camera. Also if I want to move high poly item subtly, it can delay a bit causing jumps. So basically I want a better card to help speed and smooth the viewport. I like Asus cards as have always found them reliable, I hate radeon as twice I've had problems with them in the past so won't touch them anymore. I was thinking maybe a 4gb nvidia Asus 1080ti? What do you guys think?
Old 29th May 2017, 10:32 AM   #2
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

I have an Asus 780ti 3Gb Vram and have no big issues, even recently dealing with 1000 instanced ships and Ted's B5 model. I do however use bounding box tho when dealing with large instances, as otherwise I can't see what I'm doing with all those lines lol.
VPR renders fast tho so no worries.

If you can afford it, yeah the 4Gb 1080ti will be well sufficient for your needs
Old 31st May 2017, 03:12 AM   #3
mrscott
Registered Member

Gallery

Thanks...probably get a slightly earlier model as 1080ti still a bit pricey. I had a look around for the card you mentioned you have and they seem to be quite scarce now or maybe people are hanging onto them
Old 31st May 2017, 05:11 AM   #4
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

7 series cards are OLD. a 980 or 980ti is the next oldest then the 10 series. Given performance jumps it really is not worth looking at a 9 series or paying the premium people want for a 7 series. I think my 770 used costs more than I paid for it.

Pricing between the 1080 and the 1080ti is not worth the possible VP performance. I am not sure how much LW responds to a gpu but most consumer units are not geared towards 3d apps or really anything not games. Those 10~20fps on a ti might only translate to 1 or 2 fps in a viewport. a plain 1080 is about 450~550 where a ti is 700usd or more. I might, and someone who has one might pipe in but from my experience unless it is a leap like the 7series to the 10 series was it wont matter much in app.

I guess best bet is to find a review on cards that do workstation benchmarks on GPUS like photoshop though that is another optimized process, where LW max maya are not generally aimed at consumer cards. HWD might be the same but the drivers and support software wise isnt.
Old 31st May 2017, 12:38 PM   #5
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscott View Post
Thanks...probably get a slightly earlier model as 1080ti still a bit pricey. I had a look around for the card you mentioned you have and they seem to be quite scarce now or maybe people are hanging onto them
Yeah the 7 series is old, but the 780ti is a monster still compared to many of the recent releases, hence why koi points out the high cost for 2nd hand 7 series cards.

Try this page/site - used it for years and it'll help you compare price vs performance:-

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

GL
Old 4th Jun 2017, 02:57 AM   #6
mrscott
Registered Member

Gallery

Thanks everyone for your help and advice

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D