Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Showcase All finalized work, 2D, 3D, and animations

Old 29th Jun 2011, 12:34 AM   #1
Thunderstruck2012
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Cinema 4D Photoshop After Effects

Default BSG - Battlestar encounters The Empire CGI/Short Film.

This is most recent CGI short. ( just completed )

Please keep in mind I am new ( 9 months experience in 3d/CG/C4d )
and in self teaching mode. I have no background or education in this.

It no doubt has some flaws.

Part 1

Part II

Part III

Got no idea why tube darkens my video?
especially the empire pilot scene. was not rendered in this way.

-- if by chance you have any , links or otherwise for animation such as reference,inspiration or advanced techniques, would appreciate them here or in PM.
Or on film making in general.

Last edited by Thunderstruck2012 : 13th Aug 2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Added parts
Thunderstruck2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2011, 06:36 AM   #2
Escelce
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere

I like your enthusiasm and obvious passion to get the big projects done. But can I just make a suggestion with regards to your approach. You're obviously very keen to tell full stories and get them out there but the actual results for the shots need a lot of work if you're aiming to be considered great. When i started out I loaded up Lightwave and thought thats it, i have all i need to make the ideas i want. But i soon realised I needed to go in stages.

I'd suggest studying up on weighting, filming styles, lighting, Motion paths, compositing and best ways to capture a shot that gets the audience on the edge of their seats. Learn those one at a time and then put them together in short sequences to try them out. Then when you have more confidence and ability apply it to something grand like this idea.

For example just try taking one section of this and re-work it in the WIP section and apply new skills and techniques. best thing about 3D is theres always new things to learn and make your shots better. The BEST thing about this community is there are so many excellent artists who want to offer help and advice. Use that and trust me its worth it! I hope that helps and keep up the passion you have.

-Steve
Escelce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

As Steve said, your work shows some great potential. You obviously have the storytelling ability.

One little fan-boy nitpick to start with: you're using the Cylon weapon sound effect for the vipers. tsk tsk

One thing which would be a good place to start working towards improvement are the motion paths for the objects. There are some jumps and fits in places and in one shot I can see the interpolated motion causing the viper to move backwards before it speeds off out of the shot. Right here on Foundation 3D are some tutorials I wrote on working with motion paths. You'll find them in the Fundamentals and Instruction: 3D forums and they are called Animation 101. It's basic stuff, but the information will help you to smooth out your motion paths and make the movement look more natural.

As Steve said, start a w.i.p. thread, post up screen shots of your scenes and folks will jump in with tons of useful advice.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2011, 02:06 PM   #4
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

Nice start, although I am a bigger fan of the new BSG I like your story idea. I'm not going to crit on your animation since I no nothing about how to do them except your TIE fighters were too dark to see. In your next chapter, I want to see the Galactica take on the Star Destroyer.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2011, 11:50 AM   #5
IvorTheEngine
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

I'd have to say you need to work on your understanding of camera manouvres and basic filming. Your anim seems to 'stop and start'....with no real flow (camera wise).

In 3d its VERY easy to move a camera about......add some splines to make smother moves in places....and 'bumps' in others....its fun when you get the hang of it.

Cheers

Ivor
IvorTheEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Thunderstruck2012
Registered Member

Gallery

Thank you all for those very useful and helpful replies.

Yes, I need a lot of help and a lot to learn. I found the Force.net and went through almost every link for making a fan film and tbh none had any info on subjects/aspects you have touched on. ( which is what I was looking for)
I usually reference from my mind,memory or try and find a clip to imitate/mimic
when making a scene and taking a shot.

I have been searching for tips and info and basic/fundamentals of "filming" Flight,animation anything I can find. A CG short encompasses so much.

Am one of those people that often have more ideas per minute........and am hungry for more. I have just begun ( Oct 2010) CGI 3d and wished I had began 30 years ago.

without being trained or educated am on the self help route. I did just purchase 90 hours of training for modeling. So after Episode II will be sponging that up.
( my first actual 3d training)

I will reference these replies for a long time in my quest to learn and do better.

They are very much appreciated and more helpful than 97.893454% of replies that I normally get. :-)

Thanks,

Randal R.

So much to learn, so much to discover,so much to do,,,, My mind travels at warp speed and is constantly changing directions.
Old 10th Aug 2011, 05:46 AM   #7
Thunderstruck2012
Registered Member

Gallery

Part II and sneek @ part 3.

Since getting a new comp ( Pi7 2300) at end of part 2 am able to experiment and tinker and use trial and error and can see what I have done before rendering. Before it was mostly guess and a shot in the dark with my 10 year old Dell Pentium 4. ( useless really in this regard )

Thanks for the tips,advice and replies , again, am trying to learn as much as I can while doing it too.

Not great,fantastic stuff, but am just a amateur /hobbyist still in my 1st year of CG 3d. and I'm how old? lol
But I really did like the orig BSG and star wars and most others and found an outlet for expression in CGI/3d apps.

Part II

Quik sneek part 3 ( already is a minute longer due to comp power )

Old 13th Aug 2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Thunderstruck2012
Registered Member

Gallery

Okay.

have given in on this endless short. I keep adding to it with no end in site.

many things I want to add with characters and voice just am not capable of yet.
Basically What I keep trying is to make a complete story/film and is just Too much to do.

But it also serves a purpose. To learn and use the app and means of making a short animation/film

I added/edited first post with parts II and III
Old 15th Aug 2011, 12:17 AM   #9
iczer
Registered Member

Gallery
Bryce Maya Poser Illustrator Photoshop

if you want to do a story; and others can correct me. Write the story out, then read it and try and decide how to do/what shots you need. Then create storyboards, so you know what voiceovers, camera movements, sounds, etc you need. Animate according to the storyboards.

Just can't "do it all" at once, you'll be going, 'add this, add that..... remove this'
iczer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Thunderstruck2012
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer View Post
if you want to do a story; and others can correct me. Write the story out, then read it and try and decide how to do/what shots you need. Then create storyboards, so you know what voiceovers, camera movements, sounds, etc you need. Animate according to the storyboards.

Just can't "do it all" at once, you'll be going, 'add this, add that..... remove this'
yes, I have been told this, but you make it clear what I go through add this etc.

I do write the ideas downhave written down voice overs and such, but it remains mostly in my head and that is even more work lol to do .

Thanks. Have gotten insight and knowledge here on this thread and hope to post more works
other than my BSG and Perfect strangers.

Thank you all.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase