Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Showcase All finalized work, 2D, 3D, and animations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2019, 04:11 PM   #1
PixelMagic
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 99
Default Star Trek - U.S.S. Discovery Flyby

Marc Bell made this beautiful Discovery model, so I couldn't resist doing a flyby of it. Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/338440826
PixelMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 09:06 PM   #2
TrekMD
Registered Member
 
TrekMD's Avatar
 Gallery
Paint Shop Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 279
Default

That looks very nice!
TrekMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 06:56 AM   #3
Rigel
Moderator
 
Rigel's Avatar
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London (the other one, in Canada)
Posts: 22,876
Default

That looked very professional; well done!
__________________
Those who say it can't be done,
should stop interrupting those of us who are busy doing it!

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 09:09 AM   #4
DigitalOrigami
Registered Member
 
DigitalOrigami's Avatar
 Gallery
Modo Photoshop
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The wilds of Canada
Posts: 1,759
Default

That's awesome!
DigitalOrigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2019, 01:15 AM   #5
trekki
Contributing Member
 
trekki's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 567
Default

Veryverynice. Love it!
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 04:58 PM   #6
lonewriter
Registered Member
 
lonewriter's Avatar
 Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Goldthwaite, Texas
Posts: 5,542
Default

No image is coming through.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 11:37 AM   #7
Oldcode
Contributing Member
 
Oldcode's Avatar
 Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,225
Default

Oh yes! It's very nice!
__________________
“My sword and my service are yours.”

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 08:48 AM   #8
Eden
Registered Member
 
Eden's Avatar
 Gallery
Modo Mudbox Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 841
Default

That looks superb....very nice piece of work....!!
Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2020, 02:48 PM   #9
Enterprise
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Corel Draw Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 105
Default

It's so perfect, I can watch it all day..
Any tips on how you made that stretched warp effect? Is it an effect right from the 3d software or it was done in post?
__________________
My youtube channel.
Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2020, 04:49 PM   #10
PixelMagic
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise View Post
It's so perfect, I can watch it all day..
Any tips on how you made that stretched warp effect? Is it an effect right from the 3d software or it was done in post?
It was done by holding the "shutter" open in rendering for 10 frames. This caused the highlights to streak, and then I just tinted them blue/red in post.
PixelMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2020, 06:52 AM   #11
bmckain
Wire Junkie
 
bmckain's Avatar
 Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boise, ID. USA
Posts: 18,456
Default

Very well done.
__________________
The one thing you need to get past is simply the way you think. - William Vaughan
My Photography / My 3D Work
bmckain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2020, 01:21 PM   #12
Enterprise
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Corel Draw Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelMagic View Post
It was done by holding the "shutter" open in rendering for 10 frames. This caused the highlights to streak, and then I just tinted them blue/red in post.
I'm sorry for being tedious, just trying to learn how to repeat this cool effect. Playing with settings for 3 hours gave me strange results, in my case, streaks are not even, they're much denser in the center than in other parts of the image.

I'm assuming you used 3ds max and Redshift, right? And the settings should be something similar to these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-20_22-04-12.png
Views:	29
Size:	600.1 KB
ID:	86040  
Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2020, 02:46 PM   #13
PixelMagic
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise View Post
I'm sorry for being tedious, just trying to learn how to repeat this cool effect. Playing with settings for 3 hours gave me strange results, in my case, streaks are not even, they're much denser in the center than in other parts of the image.

I'm assuming you used 3ds max and Redshift, right? And the settings should be something similar to these?
Yes, I did this in 3ds max and Redshift. You're on the right track. I"m not sure what you mean by denser in the center, though.

To clean up that noise, under unified sampling, set your Min samples to 16, your max samples to 256, or maybe even 512,1024. Then put your a Adaptive Error Threshold at 0.003.

If you want to try other types of streaks, change the motion blur from "Center on Frame" to another one of the options.
PixelMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2020, 06:28 AM   #14
Enterprise
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Corel Draw Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 105
Default

Wow, thank you, PixelMagic! Your suggested unified sampling settings are really made it better, but I still get those streaks segmented
The streaks on your stunning video are crisp and even. I don't have any idea what's wrong, played with all MB settings several times, may be my graphic card(quadro p1000) is not fully compatible with redshift. Thanks again for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-21_15-12-52.png
Views:	23
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	86045  
Attached Files
File Type: mov ENT_DSC.mov (1.86 MB, 20 views)
Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2020, 09:37 AM   #15
PixelMagic
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise View Post
Wow, thank you, PixelMagic! Your suggested unified sampling settings are really made it better, but I still get those streaks segmented
The streaks on your stunning video are crisp and even. I don't have any idea what's wrong, played with all MB settings several times, may be my graphic card(quadro p1000) is not fully compatible with redshift. Thanks again for your help!
I think maybe even mine has those segmented looks. But once you put glows and bloom and color correction on, it happens so fast you can't notice it.
PixelMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 10:16 AM   #16
Professor Moriarty
Registered Member
 
Professor Moriarty's Avatar
 Gallery
Blender Houdini LightWave Photoshop After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: System L-374
Posts: 833
Default

I ran into the segmentation problem as well when replicating the "warp rainbow tunnel" effect from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I eventually realized that it was the model itself that was causing the problem; thanks to the ever-changing angle between model and subject, the non-transparent parts of the ship's hull would occasionally obstruct the lights. I solved the problem by moving all of my light emitting materials into a separate layer so that they could be rendered in a separate pass. Add motion blur on the lights while rendering, season to taste with bloom and frame blending in post.
__________________
My crappy blog
Professor Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2020, 04:03 PM   #17
Enterprise
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Corel Draw Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
I ran into the segmentation problem as well when replicating the "warp rainbow tunnel" effect from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I eventually realized that it was the model itself that was causing the problem; thanks to the ever-changing angle between model and subject, the non-transparent parts of the ship's hull would occasionally obstruct the lights. I solved the problem by moving all of my light emitting materials into a separate layer so that they could be rendered in a separate pass. Add motion blur on the lights while rendering, season to taste with bloom and frame blending in post.
Ohh, I think you just described a perfect motion streak recipe Thank you!! I tried another mesh(USS Discovery, like PixelMagic) and there was little to no segmentation. With your workaround the effect will be perfect!

Thank you both for helping this out!!
Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2020, 12:13 AM   #18
Professor Moriarty
Registered Member
 
Professor Moriarty's Avatar
 Gallery
Blender Houdini LightWave Photoshop After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: System L-374
Posts: 833
Default

Glad to help. One other thing you will find is that the light-emitting sources may need to be tweaked for intensity/color. (The result of my fiddling can be glimpsed in my avatar. Still working on the overall video so not ready to show the completed sequence just yet.) That's all I'll say here; don't want to hijack Daniel's thread further!
Professor Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.


©2006 - 2013 Foundation 3D