Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 14th Nov 2017, 11:59 AM   #1231
DigitalOrigami
Registered Member

Gallery
Modo Photoshop

The copper on that deflector dish is a thing of beauty. I really love all these details, they're just amazing.
DigitalOrigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2017, 04:05 AM   #1232
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Where I left the detailing.

I then thought to try redoing the wing parts to contain the tapering curve of the orthos of the ship in the prototype image.

Old 18th Nov 2017, 05:51 AM   #1233
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Some small changes to the hull and central hull (reverted it to subdiv) and made new weapons pods.

Old 18th Nov 2017, 07:44 AM   #1234
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

That's an interesting little ship. Is this an original design?

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2017, 09:15 AM   #1235
eagledocf15
Premiere Member
 Gallery
Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkoifish View Post
Some deflector stuff I didn't post last night.

That is incredible work. I really like the dish!
eagledocf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2017, 05:03 PM   #1236
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

It is loosely based on the STO concept art. I think they actually made something close to them though (dunno I do not play)

http://gaming.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ptart/0021.jpg

It is less and less loosely based though as I have been matching it up more but I have not lifted any shapes from the image just eyeballed em.
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 12:59 AM   #1237
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Decided to do the cutout in subdiv and patched it into the collapsed hull.

Old 22nd Nov 2017, 09:48 AM   #1238
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

More detail in the cutout platform. Side holes will be bays for cargo or workbees etc. It can fit a shuttle (pictured) but I do not think it would be a daily use door for them. I am not planning to have those areas open to the main bay doors. The concept image has what looks like a pillar in the middle, but this I think will keep things like a runabout OUT of this bay so I might work something like the SOV where the pillars can slide out of the way as needed. This though likely would exclude having any access doors in the pillar or observation rooms. Then again the concept image seems to show 2 doors per opening. The inner ones clearly couldn't open. Same could be said about my "blue" doors atm as they are split units. I likely will go with just a rounded rectangle unit vs what I have atm as it is just stolen from a interior element.

As for runabouts, I probably wont fuss over clearance for those things as most ships couldn't accommodate the things. I also think the idea of the things is not to be supplied on all ships or on ships at all. Thinking a replacement for on site ships so starbases orbital or planet based.

oh to note girl on the deck is a 5'11" person, scaled her for avg height to give a better idea of scale. I really need to make up some trek people in various era uniforms. Keep using the skyships girl for a dummy in my SOTL renders. (I think she appears in almost every image of mine for SOTL)
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 07:41 PM   #1239
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

. Increased size of the pods I was not happy with the older size. They need some rework though as bits seem off scale now IE shapes not elements. Torp tubes are my old standard. I also added some details and more work into that cutout.

Old 24th Nov 2017, 06:56 AM   #1240
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

since the site is back an update

Most of the new stuff is rounding off all the hard edges on the "wing" hull messing with those pod hulls AGAIN. Mostly shifting the SUBdiv object and "thinning" down the thickness overall. I also mucked about with the RCS thrusters. Plan is to detail some of the surfaces out to scale with the figure off the backside. Not sure if it is apparent in the renders but they are now tapered and not flat to the hull as before, also added a bulge to make it less yellow box hanging off.

Somewhere along the way I ended up flipping the damned Xform on the pods. I had been working with cloned objects on the ship itself with a master on a separate layer. But somewhere I guess it got mirrored or cloned in a way the Xform got flipped. NOW I reall do not care about export or issues where Xform is misread, it just makes it a FING PITA when editing the polies as the selections are inverted IE facing inward. RAGE so I will have to reset everything and redo all the modifiers SIGH.
Old 26th Nov 2017, 12:33 AM   #1241
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Mess of small updates all over. Fixed the weapons pods Xforms, added details to them adjusted plating on the aft hull extensions, detailed some bits ont he bridge module. and merged in the nacelle strut assemblies to the hull.

Tempted to wipe the windows on those 2 upper areas to add in something that isnt a flat wall of glass. The lower one is curved some but I am thinking doing a bay window like set up might add to the overall visual look. I know that uppermost room forward from the aft torps will likely get redone. Been a bit iffy on it as it IS so close to that element.
Old 26th Nov 2017, 06:44 AM   #1242
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Old vs New. Copped out on obliterating the entire framing to see what I could build using the existing elements. Ignore the int lighting as I added some lower light as a lum material and clearly it is blowing things out. I did consider merging those jambs on the smaller windows but figured the curve is pushing it.

The next area to consider is the aft meeting room glass as I just did elongated capsules originally. Oh as I am working this section of the ship I am also mulling over if I will keep what I have for the outer bulkhead around the torps or do what is in the concept image. There is a triangular cutout in the aft with a housing poking up that houses the short phaser strips. My original idea was just to have them sitting on the hull as is.
upscaled and adjusted reference: you can see it in the side view.

now I have only been referring to this image. I have not found any decent game caps (afaik the ships are horribly low poly) or any higher rez refs besides the 600pix or so images released ages ago. I am also ignoring any other models of this if they exist. ANYHOW I truthfully missed this detail when boxing it in or just forgot I had planned to flatten and do the cutout once I collapsed the hull. I had already planned to alter the hull shape (narrower than the reference) from the start but this was definitely something I missed or forgot.

Also mulling over what project to work on finish or start next. Tempted to work on finishing off older models but there is the urge to do something new. Be it trek or not though I am not sure. Tempted to go back to one of my OG ships or some other franchise. If it is a new trek model likely it will be TMP or C-era. I need to give the TOS and preTOS stuff a rest. I think out of all my ships I only have 2 TMP era models. A starbase or other spacestation like object would be of intrest too as I could utilize it in scenes.
Old 26th Nov 2017, 07:52 AM   #1243
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall seeing a ship like this in STO. I think it was for a very low level character. Your model looks great!

Yes, the in-game models are rather low poly and use normal maps (I'm guessing) for details. I got my hands on one that was ripped from the game once; there were a lot of duplicate polygons, none of them welded together, a complete mess. It's surprising they work as well as they do!

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 26th Nov 2017, 08:24 AM   #1244
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Yeah games are odd I have exported things from them and there are seams all over on the models at times. I think part of that is for the texturing and for the smoothing algos to follow.

I know early game stuff you have to do double faced polies to create a proper shadow or to avoid certain bugs, Doom3 shadow and point light bugs come to mind. Least I think it was doom3. >_>

Yeah I only seen a few small caps of them here and there.

if that loads lol, it just doesn't look like the concept art to me.

Old 27th Nov 2017, 07:01 AM   #1245
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Old 29th Nov 2017, 01:08 AM   #1246
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Messing about with the torp housing and that round thing.

Old 30th Nov 2017, 05:02 AM   #1247
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Anyhow more crap on the same stuff.

Old 30th Nov 2017, 08:37 AM   #1248
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Another view of it and a distance shot to show how pointless some of it is!! lol. Also forgot I was going to mull over that alteration to the hull for the phasers. Also gotta do something about that UGLY RCS material, I think it is the cargo floor yellow paint. . . . .

Old 1st Dec 2017, 08:07 AM   #1249
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Some more details and altering that rear part of the hull. Not sure yet if I will go with this. got a old hull cloned off on some other layer.

I am thinking some of that stuff just outside the officers lounge will be gotten rid of and redone (bits with the colored boxes) Still unsire what I will do with that big gap near those ribbed things either. >_>
Old 1st Dec 2017, 05:48 PM   #1250
Acidstorm
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Excellent work as always, MKF.
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 03:44 AM   #1251
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Long time no see huh >_>

New officers lounge/meeting room glass and interior. I shortened the entire structure about 6~8 ft. Also mapping out other rooms on this deck which contain 2 toilets 2 offices and the bridge as well as 2 turbo shafts.

And yes the bridge is not a typical roomy TNG era one. It will be a bit larger as idea is it would be a split level unit so stations ringing the outer rim will be down by 4 to 5 ft from "ground" level thus giving more floor space. Capt commander and tactical would be on the entry deck, while the nav and pilot would be down by a few ft and the rest of the stations would be in a half circle dropped to the lowest level. Likely there would be a second turbo lift entry at the bottom of a ramp below the entry deck for the lowest stations. Probably all moot as I do not model interiors that are not seen from the exterior. But who knows. One thing the bridge would have a lot of height.

I might alter things to give more space by eliminating the entry foyer to the meeting room.
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 01:33 PM   #1252
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

A door;

The 2 offices are in with some furniture. Pretty much just stole stuff from various ships with a few new elements. I decided the crapper in the Captain's room would only be accessible from the outer hall like the other one. Just too many doors in that room with it. I still need to adjust the lights some as the ambient units are blowing out on the walls.

Old 5th Dec 2017, 06:38 AM   #1253
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Rearrangement of innards, wont change much except the exterior window location

ignore the blue.

Ok took some time to see if phasers would even fit on that rim of the hull. . . DERP. They just fit, the red marking things wont though but meh. Reusing the Tsukuru objects as I see no reason not to. Likely I will use these on all TNG ships from now on. They are not as complex as the ones for the Balmung but those ones are HUGE so meh. TNG ones were all different and usually full of mold seams.

I really dunno how I feel about these being here. I know the height and position are great but being so close to torps just has me thinking interference from either system. Then again it does beat the canon ones right against windows so :shrug:

Old 6th Dec 2017, 11:22 AM   #1254
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Spent most of my time optimizing and collapsing subdiv objects than modeling. So largest change is all the blocking in of the undercut. I sorta regret altering this area from the concept image as the concept has some nice shapes and elements I will have to work to integrate now.

I also shortened those phasers a few segments.

Old 7th Dec 2017, 10:17 PM   #1255
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

The Butt.

Old 9th Dec 2017, 06:56 PM   #1256
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

HUrr more butt.
Well belly as I decided I did not like what I had and sorta followed what the concept image had instead.

Old 10th Dec 2017, 06:09 AM   #1257
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

More phaser strips and new pod thingies. I didn't like the old ones so well heh, nothing new. Took a while to find a new shape that worked for the space. Still a bit iffy on those new bulges as some of the lines are meh but so far nothing else comes to mind and to fit the requirements I need or want.

Old 11th Dec 2017, 02:45 AM   #1258
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Belly details.

Old 11th Dec 2017, 05:47 AM   #1259
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Poop chute.

Old 11th Dec 2017, 08:52 AM   #1260
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

It's been awhile since I looked in; you've been busy! This is really shaping up to be a beautiful model.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress