Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 19th Jul 2017, 03:40 PM   #91
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Illustrator Photoshop After Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne85 View Post
oh please please please release this after you have finished your work is totally amazing i would even pay to use this in animations it is that good. You have really captured the cinematic feel and scale of the ship with the ammount of detail you have put in.
Honestly not sure what I'm going to do with her when I'm done. I've been crazy busy at work for the last couple of months - hence no updates - but it's slowing down a bit so I may be able to get back at it soon.
lightborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2017, 06:22 PM   #92
wayne85
Registered Member
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave After Effects

fingers crossed as this project is one of the best i have seen in a long time. It also inspired me to go off and redo the rec deck and hanger bay but still they are not a patch on your creations lol.
wayne85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2017, 02:06 PM   #93
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery

Default UPDATE - Back at it!

After several months away from this project, I am back at it. I'm sure you all know how it is... work, life, etc., from time to time needs to take priority over personal fun stuff. Anyway, I'd like to be able to tell you that I'm back to making cool looking stuff - but as it is I'm just back to the mind-numbing optimizing and clean-up process that I was in when I last posted.

Good news is that my work - although very much invisible to the eye - is paying off quite well so far. I haven't done a total poly count in a while, but I know fro checking partial counts from time to time that I'm getting it down to a much more reasonable amount. Also, since I'm having to really look at what I've built and how I've built it I've been able to do some creative tweaking here and there. So that's at least been a little fun.

So all this to say, I'm back to posting on this - but I won't be posting on this for a while 'cause I'm still doing sh*twork.

Old 15th Oct 2017, 05:07 PM   #94
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

Looks great and some of it is not so invisible, yes i might not be in your face but it does break it up quite allot and of course means you can get a close as you want.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2017, 09:25 AM   #95
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Dang. When I see this I want to go back an rework my Discovery again.
So much pretty detailing
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2017, 01:29 PM   #96
mattymanx
Registered Member

Gallery
Poser Paint Shop Pro

Wow, this is amazing work. The eye candy is insane!

Kinda makes me wish I had the time to do simular.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 01:14 AM   #97
ST-One
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave TrueSpace

This ship is still the most elegant design in sci-fi.
Love the detail work you put into it.
Old 9th Nov 2017, 09:20 AM   #98
wayne85
Registered Member
 Gallery

Im drooling over my keyboard looking at this, totally amazing work and such incredible detail amazing work
Old 7th Dec 2017, 01:58 PM   #99
eagledocf15
Premiere Member
 Gallery
Photoshop

This is an incredible thread! Has there been any more work on this?
eagledocf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2017, 06:28 PM   #100
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagledocf15 View Post
This is an incredible thread! Has there been any more work on this?
I had to put it aside for a couple of months because work got crazy busy, but I'm back on it now. So there's still progress being made. Slowly to be sure... but progress to be sure as well. I'm still doing a lot of clean up and instancing to reduce the poly count. I'm still working on it but there's really not much to show as far as images are concerned. But thanks for the continued interest! And patience!
Old 18th Dec 2017, 05:54 PM   #101
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery

Default Update

So things have finally started to slow down at work. Just in time for Christmas break and then the new year s already looking to be just as busy as the last. Ah well... job security, right?

Anyway, today I finally managed to get caught up to where I was when I went "off grid" in terms of poly reduction, instancing and optimizing. All the little graphic details on the secondary hull, pylons and the neck have been completed. I only have a few interiors left to optimize and so I will be alternating between doing those and adding all my graphic bits and pieces to the rest of the exterior.

I'm starting to put all the little graphic details on the nacelles now and although I have just begun - meaning there's not much more on this than what is on the studio model - I thought I'd do a render to show...

Lastly, here's a nice front view of the Enterprise for your enjoyment - just because it's been forever since I've done a pretty render of the whole ship.

More to come later!
Old 19th Dec 2017, 08:02 AM   #102
trekki
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D

Very nice rendering !
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2017, 11:17 AM   #103
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

A thing of beauty!

ďThen forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.Ē
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2017, 10:59 AM   #104
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery

Default Update

The secondary hull and the nacelles have not been adorned with their little bits and pieces of graphic goodness. Well, there's a little bit of finesse work I still need to do on the nacelles... but it's very nearly done.

I'm finding that when I move to a part for which I have no reference for these little graphic bits, it takes me about two or three iterations of what goes where. For example, I did up the graphic bits on the nacelle to look very similar to the secondary hull but saw that it was just way too busy. I've since simplified it - but I think too much and now I need to go back in and put just a touch more details in there. I think there's a balance between my two iterations that I need to find.

Anyway, that's it for now... I'm going to start on the primary hull graphics next.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 05:45 PM   #105
wayne85
Registered Member
 Gallery

truly stunning work
Old 20th Dec 2017, 10:04 PM   #106
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Looking nice, might want to run some loops along the jaw of the bay platform to even up the smoothing algo.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 01:20 PM   #107
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkoifish View Post
Looking nice, might want to run some loops along the jaw of the bay platform to even up the smoothing algo.
Ha! Ha! Please don't start picking apart the geometry yet... it's in no condition to be critiqued. It's probably the sloppiest mesh I've made in years at this point! And I'll be extremely lucky if that's the only part I'll need to fix once I'm done.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 11:55 AM   #108
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery

Default Update

At work we are waiting for a few big projects to kick off and so Iíve had a little bit of down time, and so Iíve been able to get a lot done on my little side project here.

Long story short, I received a Polar Lights 1:350 Enterprise Refit model kit for Christmas and Iíve been going into full research and planning mode in order to get started on building it. As a result, I noticed that there were several areas on my 3D model where the aztecs were way off - specifically on the secondary hull and the nacelles. I know itíll never be EXACTLY the way it was in the film, but this was just too far off for my taste. So I went back in and redid a lot of the aztecs and - for about the six-hundredth time - adjusted the pearl materials a bit. I also tweaked the external lighting and rebuilt part of the nacelles and the bridge / B-C deck to get them a little bit more accurate. I love working with Al Dineltís 3D model, but there are a few areas that I thought could be improved.

Next up, I am thinking about packaging this baby once sheís completed. Meaning, if I try to sell it or if I end up putting it up for downloads here on Foundation3D, how exactly am I going to do that? The model is really really heavy - and for all of my optimizing and instancing, thatís probably not going to change very much. So I want to be able to build something smart so that other people would be able to enjoy working with this. So, as part of that thought process, I decided one thing that made a lot of sense was to do three sets of interiors. These interior sets would be drastically different in size and you could pick which set to use based upon what kind of render you were doing. I mean, it really doesnít make sense to have to load up a full 3D model of the interiors if you are only going to be rendering out a wide shot of the ship where you really canít even SEE any interiors. SoÖ

The first set is comprised of simple light panels inside the ship. This renders really fast and is perfect for wide shots;

The next set up is comprised of flat panels textured with renders of all the interiors Iíve been building. This is great for medium shots where you need a little bit more that just a brightly lit window passing by in your shot;

The third one would be the complete set up with the fully built-up 3D interiors that I have been posting for the last year or so on this thread.

Plus you can mix and match them as well. Iíve done some preliminary animations starting in the fully 3D botanical garden and then flying out the windows to see the exterior of the ship. I put in the 3D botanical garden and for the rest of the interiors, I used the flat renders. Nothing to show yet on that front because Iím still tweaking render settings for animation, but Iíll eventually post some for you all to see.

Finally, Iíve started to add the external graphic bits to the saucer sectionÖ beginning with the bridge. This is really one of the last things to do. Once the saucer section graphics are done, thatís it with the little graphic bits. Of course, because Iím an idiot, Iíve only put the graphic bit on the port side of the ship; so Iíll have to mirror those - smartly and efficiently, of course - to the starboard side.

Then, thereís final clean up on all of the geometry, organizing and naming all the parts, etc. So maybe I have a little bit more to do than I think, but dare I say Iím getting closer to the end of this project?
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 06:00 PM   #109
amdfe
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Photoshop

Recently, someone commented on one of my productions that the neck detailing is wrong on the refit models. Bailey had the red stripes interrupted by the vertical paneling, whereas the studio model shows that the stripes are continuous.

Dinelt, too, went with the interrupted striping. So, I thought it might be beneficial for your mental health to point this out now

Facebook | YouTube Channel
amdfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 08:30 PM   #110
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdfe View Post
Recently, someone commented on one of my productions that the neck detailing is wrong on the refit models. Bailey had the red stripes interrupted by the vertical paneling, whereas the studio model shows that the stripes are continuous.

Dinelt, too, went with the interrupted striping. So, I thought it might be beneficial for your mental health to point this out now
My mental health not withstanding, I appreciate your comment very much. Don't know how that got past me all this time... I was indeed aware of that fact but I guess I just never saw the forest through the trees or something poetic like that!
Old 24th Jan 2018, 05:18 AM   #111
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Stunning work, if you sell it you have loads of options to upload to TS, CGT and such. As for uploading here, use Mega NZ or WeTransfer and use PM to give people the links, that way at least you can know who has it.

How many polys is this beast now then.
Old 24th Jan 2018, 09:10 AM   #112
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
How many polys is this beast now then.
Thanks for that!

Poly counts as of this moment:
Ship and lights and simple interiors - 1,525,493
Exterior graphic bits - 136,179 (I expect this to double by the time I'm done)
Full 3D interiors - 9,727,125 (I'm trying to get this down as best I can)

Total poly count - 11,388,797
Old 24th Jan 2018, 11:14 AM   #113
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

That is actually quite respectable considering the detail you have put into her.
Old 24th Jan 2018, 11:48 AM   #114
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Absolutely stunning!

ďThen forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.Ē
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2018, 08:36 AM   #115
wayne85
Registered Member
 Gallery

stunning work and that poly count is really respectable considering the detail you have put into her, extremely impressive, would love to do some renders with her
Old 7th Feb 2018, 01:33 PM   #116
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne85 View Post
stunning work and that poly count is really respectable considering the detail you have put into her, extremely impressive, would love to do some renders with her
...if she ever gets completed!
Old 7th Feb 2018, 01:42 PM   #117
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

Really impressive.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2018, 10:01 AM   #118
wayne85
Registered Member
 Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightborne View Post
...if she ever gets completed!
lol this is true and perfection can not be rushed, this is by far the nicest and one of the most accurate meshes of the refit i have ever seen and certainly the most detailed
Old 20th Jul 2018, 11:18 AM   #119
lightborne
Registered Member

Gallery

Default Update

Wow! Has it seriously been since January that I've had the chance to work on this? Well, I guess that's the way it goes with a "while I'm not busy at work" project. Things at work have been crazy over the last several months... not in a bad way at all. We've just been very very busy - which is awesome - but I have not had any real time to devote to my little side project.

Anyway, things are slowing down a bit here and there so I was able to get back into it recently. As far as the graphics go, I'm just slightly further along with the little graphic bits on the saucer... but, like I said, I'm getting back into it.

And then, again, I've tweaked the pearl colors on the exterior. I'm thinking I've got them just where I want them. But you know, I'll probably change them again at some point!

So that's it for now. Hopefully I will have some more time to keep on with this thing. It ain't over yet!
Old 20th Jul 2018, 03:16 PM   #120
TrekMD
Registered Member
 Gallery
Paint Shop Pro

Wow, she looks gorgeous!
TrekMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress