Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 2nd Mar 2017, 11:48 PM   #1
Hundred3d
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Bryce Rhino Terragen Vue Gimp Photoshop

Default I'm am totally grief stricken and am in mourning

Hi Folks,

Today, Thursday, March 2nd 2017, at approximately 5:13 a.m., my 2TB Western Digital External Hard Drive passed... After serving faithfully since May of 2012, it finally gave up. I am totally grief stricken ans am in mourning. And the worst part about it is the fact that I've lost 2/3 of all the models and images I've worked on over these past few years. The loss of the older stuff wasn't so hard, it's the newer stuff that's got me down. Dagnabbit to heck!!!

Well I saw the sign, but like I often do, I put off backing up my data until it was too late. My loss.
Hundred3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 10:04 AM   #2
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

Ouch..
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 12:13 PM   #3
Hundred3d
Registered Member
 Gallery

Yes, ouch indeed. But on the bright side, I've changed the hard drive in my HP, the main computer, twice since 2015. And since I never wiped the old drives, I will be able to retrieve some of the more important models. But my images, the website templates I've built, a CMS I was building, atleast two games I was making, a ton of music, a number of family photos, the rest of my 3d stuff, and just about everything else I had on there is gone.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU PEOPLE, GET NORTON!!! Ghost that is.
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 09:49 PM   #4
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

This happened to me last year, I got struck by lightning but I'm glad I had everything backed up. Sorry for your loss.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2017, 07:00 PM   #5
Hundred3d
Registered Member
 Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewriter View Post
This happened to me last year, I got struck by lightning but I'm glad I had everything backed up. Sorry for your loss.
Yeah I read your thread, man I don't know how you went without one for a whole year. But then again... bills and crap, SO I CAN SEE HOW. You're in Texas right, me too, my HD on another PC crashed a few years ago and I lost a lot of data, way more than I lost this time. So to keep that from happening again I just went to easy pawn and got an extra PC on layaway. (A Lenovo I5 Laptop, $300)

But, things are not as bleak as I thought, it did come on for about 2 or 3 minutes today, and I got some data off of it, (I don't know what yet.). If it can stay on a little bit longer I may be able to get the rest off, Or at least what I need.
Old 6th Mar 2017, 09:49 AM   #6
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Sorry to hear that; I've had that happen before, too. I now also use a WD Passport drive as a secondary backup, and always keep one drive in a secure case completely offline. While I don't anticipate getting it, with all the Crypto viruses and new derivatives all the time, you never know.

I use Acronis True Image for backups.
Old 8th Mar 2017, 04:25 PM   #7
Hundred3d
Registered Member
 Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by overseer View Post
I use Acronis True Image for backups.
I'll look it up, thanx.
Old 10th Mar 2017, 08:35 AM   #8
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I use the backup system included with the Mac OS.

Even if you don't need a full backup, there's been a few times I deleted a file, then a month later realized I need it again. I can go into the backup and recover that one file.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2017, 05:08 PM   #9
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

^In addition to the Mac's Time Machine, I use Backblaze as a backup to my backup, just in case there's a robbery or a power surge or an earthquake or anything else that isn't restricted to the inside of my computer.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 08:13 AM   #10
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Offsite duplication is always a good idea.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2017, 12:47 PM   #11
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

I know it's tricky if the capacity of your backup device exceeds that of the HDD on your working machine but the files archived to your back up device should really be a straight duplicate of what you have on your PC, otherwise it's just storage and subject to the same consequences if failure occurs.

It's not without its flaws (ie. it's a little too paranoid in the application of its hardware encryption) but I swear by Western Digital's My Book Duo RAID HDD unit; it's dual drive and is configurable to RAID-1 (mirrored); what you save to one HDD is automatically copied over to its companion drive, the obvious benefit being that if one of the drives fail, you'll always have its companion drive to fall back on in the retrieval of your data.
After nearly a decade of relying on the My Book Duo, I'm currently into my second one (after having filled the first one up) and it's saved my bacon twice making it worth its weight in gold to me.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe