Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 13th Apr 2015, 11:25 AM   #181
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

I binge watched all of daredevil over the weekend, I quite enjoyed it
Old 13th Apr 2015, 01:02 PM   #182
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

I thought GoG was great fun. Utterly daft, but great fun.

I've just finished the available episodes of Space Brothers, (all 99 of them! Hoping a new season will come), and thought it one of the best realistic space based series I have ever seen, despite the very limited amount of actual space travel in it.

Now trying to work out what my next anime fix is, as so much is kiddy crap.

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2015, 03:44 PM   #183
GrahamTG
Registered Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Terragen Vue Gimp Photoshop

Just come back from seeing Blade Runner at our local theatre. First time I've seen it on the big screen. An excellent experience.
Old 14th Apr 2015, 02:06 AM   #184
Nadesico
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Maya Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Just finished a BSG rewatch and halfway thru Caprica ATM.

"With 5,000,000 models being destroyed a week, who's going to miss another one?"
Nadesico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2015, 03:55 AM   #185
scaper
Registered Member
 Gallery
Maya Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop Combustion After Effects Shake Premiere

Just watched a cracking movie call snow cake with sigourney weaver and alan rickman..

and saw big hero 6 over the weekend
scaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2015, 09:22 AM   #186
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D_CG View Post
I have heard Interstellar is an awesome film..
Oh it is! You can argue about some of the finer points, especially towards the end, but most of the criticism I read, does not hold up in my opinion. We simply don't know enough about phenomena like black holes and wormholes, only what we can theorize based on our current understanding of space-time and gravity; all of which is based on our perception of it.

I think that is one thing that Interstellar requires; an open mind about how things are perceived. Considering we simply don't know (enough), they did an awesome job in that movie. To give you a rough idea what expects you: It's like they took some of the good parts out of "A Space Odyssey", "Event Horizon", "Apollo 13" and "Gravity", blended them together, added some science, humor and imagination and there you have it: "Interstellar".

I'm currently rewatching SG-1 and I think I'll give Babylon 5 and SeaQuest another run, too, eventually.
Old 14th Apr 2015, 09:31 AM   #187
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

I'd say that black holes are pretty well understood these days - we have detected all sorts of effects from them, including things like gravitational radiation. Astronomers are currently watch a big chunk of stuff which should fall into the one at the core of our own galaxy VERy soon...

Plus they had Kip Thorne on the film working out to pretty dam high accuracy the look of them!

(Not seen the film yet though).

Old 14th Apr 2015, 11:38 AM   #188
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Yes, they are observing Sagitarius A* with a network of telescopes. It's not so much the theory of black holes, it's what is actually happening. We know, or theorize about time dilation, about gravitational forces, but that doesn't mean we won't one day be able to harness this kind power. Since you haven't seen the movie I won't spoiler anything, but once inside a blackhole, how do we really know happens? We can only speculate. Maybe you die, maybe you won't.

There was a splendid article in National Geographic not long ago, that had a very interesting theory at thend; basically stating that a black hole (or any black hole) coud potentially represent a link to another universe, and while in our universe it acts as a giant vacuum cleaner, it could represent the beginning of another universe elsewhere.

I think as far as that somewhat 'romantic' theory is concerned, "Interstellar" did a really good job (and yes, an even better one when it comes to the facts we do know). Unless we can prove otherwise (for sure), the possibilities are endless. That is what makes sci-fi, astronomy and quantum physics such an interesting subject. Here's a quote from the National Geographic magazine article ("The truth about Black Holes"):

Quote:
The vast majority of physicists say, yes, black holes exist, but they are the ultimate Fort Knox. They're impenetrable. We will never know what's inside a singularity. But a couple of unorthodox thinkers beg to differ. In recent years it’s become increasingly accepted among theoretical physicists that our universe is not all there is. We live, rather, in what’sknown as the multiverse - a vast collection of universes, each a separate bubble in the Swiss cheese of reality. This is all highly speculative, but it‘s possible that to give birth to a new universe you first need to take a bunch of matter from an existing universe, crunch it down, and seal it off. Sound familiar?

We do know, after all, what became of - at least one singularity. Our universe began, 13.8 billion years ago, in a tremendous big bang. The moment before, everything was packed into an infinitesimally small, massively dense speck - a singularity. Perhaps the multiverse works something like an oak tree. Once in awhile an acorn is dropped, falls into the ideal soil, and abruptly sprouts. So too with a singularity. The seed of a new universe. And like a sapling oak, we'll never send a thank-you note to our mother. For the message to escape our universe. it would have to move faster than the speed of light. Again,sound familiar?

The evidence for what could reside in a blackhole is compelling. Look to your left, look toyour right. Pinch yourself. A black hole mighthave originated in another universe. But we maybe living in it.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 08:52 AM   #189
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

These Final Hours from Australia. It was a nice little movie.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2015, 10:34 AM   #190
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Almost forgot; saw Furious 7 at the theatre last night. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 18th Apr 2015, 10:51 AM   #191
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

I'm just back from the crew screening of Avengers Age of Ultron. The film doesn't need any extra marketing, but its really very good.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2015, 09:54 AM   #192
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

I got 2 movies from Netflix, Dracula Untold and I finally watched Guardians of the Galaxy. Dracula was a great movie, they told how he became a vampire. I really enjoyed it. Now Guardians of the Galaxy was just ok in my opinion. It was too silly for a Marvel movie, I'm used to Avengers or X Men not a bunch of comedic gags and it had way too much music. Every other scene had some 60's song playing and where did Starlord get a tape deck for his spaceship? The other thing I watched was the latest episode of Game of Thrones, it was great.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2015, 05:16 AM   #193
starship
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop

I watched Avengers: Age of Ultron in the last saturday.
Good movie and great fun!
starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2015, 05:19 AM   #194
starship
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
Almost forgot; saw Furious 7 at the theatre last night. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.
Iīm glad I didnīt watched any episodes of this franchise. I watched just the trailers.
It can have some appeal to the teens, nothing more than this.
starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2015, 03:41 PM   #195
Jessica6
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Just returned form Ex Machina, really enjoyed it. From an fx stand point they blended seamlessly with the real world, at least to my eye.
Normally it's difficult to surprise me but it managed to do it, not in all aspects, but enough.
If you're looking for an action film then it's not for you.
The big question of the movie is how do you go about determining whether a computer/AI is just a computer or truly intelligent and alive?
Jessica6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2015, 12:18 PM   #196
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship View Post
Iīm glad I didnīt watched any episodes of this franchise. I watched just the trailers.
It can have some appeal to the teens, nothing more than this.
I love Fast and Furious movies, yes they don't have good plot lines but the far scenes are why I watch it.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2015, 01:02 PM   #197
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

I just watched the news.

Well, for about ten minutes, which was all I could stand of of politicians talking bollocks, lieing, and evading any questions of substance.

Whilst trying to bribe me with vague promises, funded with my own money.

Arrrgh!

Old 30th Apr 2015, 10:54 AM   #198
GrahamTG
Registered Member

Gallery

An episode of Farscape, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Old 30th Apr 2015, 12:27 PM   #199
DigitalOrigami
Registered Member

Gallery
Modo Photoshop

Game 6 of the 1993 World Series. Remembered it like it was yesterday. So hard to believe it was 22 years ago. How the time flies.
DigitalOrigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2015, 05:33 AM   #200
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Just watched the "Dredd" film.

I was unsure a lot of the time - it was in danger of turing into a standard gangs and cops film. But for me it was saved by stellar performances from the two female leads, plus no Sylvester Stallone!

Lacked the ironic humour of the comics, but worth catching on TV.

Old 7th May 2015, 08:11 AM   #201
GrahamTG
Registered Member

Gallery

Just finished Jupiter Ascending which I really wanted to like, but it turned out to be simply Meh!
Great visuals but little story. Could have been so much better.
Old 7th May 2015, 11:43 PM   #202
Adam
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop

I'd have to agree with you about Jupiter Ascending. I was also not impressed by the acting either.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 07:21 PM   #203
Lynx121
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Mudbox Gimp Illustrator Photoshop

Interstellar - i throughly enjoyed this film, the visuals were breathtaking, story was good, i couldn't fault it.

Fast and Furious 7 - thought i would go to see it as i have seen all the others, disappointed this franchise took a more action route, i personally preferred the first two films, also i personally thought the end scene, which has a CGI face of Paul Walker is undeniably fake.

Brave - must have seen this a thousand times.

The Theory of Everything - the acting was very good i thought, also growing up near Cambridge it was nice to see some familiar places!

The Imitation Game - a really good story behind this, very interesting to watch.

American Sniper - a good film, i enjoyed watching it.

Gone Girl - a weird, twisted film, i thought it dragged a bit but it was a good film overall.

Birdman - mehh, didn't really get into the film at all.

Whiplash - i enjoyed it.

Snowpiercer - i thought this film was good, but a slight over look is when they are walking through the train they never come to a housing carriage, which would of been nice. also the twist near the end with John Hurts character i wasn't expecting.

Hercules - not the Legend of Hercules, the casting for this was film was good 'The Rock' plays a good hercules i think.

Daredevil - only seen a few episodes so far, but i think the fight scenes are very well executed.

Marvels: Avengers - Age of Ultron - a really different feel from the first film, i personally think Joss Whedon did a fantastic job, the story was good, i didn't feel this has as much 'build up' as the first film though, my biggest peeve however is that when they were filming in Norwich, i received an email asking for "WANTED EXTRAS FOR HOLLYWOOD ACTION FILM" thinking nothing of it i didn't bother, later i found out it was this film and i was, as you can imagine pretty annoyed.
Old 10th May 2015, 08:13 AM   #204
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Just watched Avengers yesterday. It has it flaws, it's packed with comic book science, it's corny; it's 100% Marvel and that makes it 95% entertaining!

Rhys, your model looked great on screen (even though they kept breaking it). Please tell the crew at D-Neg that I congratulate them on another job superbly done and heartily thank them for providing me with the entertainment.

Last night on Nextflix I watched the first two episodes of a series called Darknet. I caught on very quickly that it's a Canadian production shooting in Toronto (nice to see some familiar sights for a change). It's an oddly twisted little show which harkens back to the likes of the Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits in that each episode is stand alone with no continuing characters. I won't say it's top notch work, but I find it intriguing enough that I plan to watch more of it.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 11th May 2015, 12:35 PM   #205
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Cheers Rigel It was a nice surprise for me because many of the SubUltron shots were handled by other facilities, so I didn't see those shots until I saw the finished film. There are a lot of them at times, too.

I've been watching Daredevil, up to episode 9. Apart from finding Charlie Cox mumbles a bit too much I like it a lot so far.
Old 12th May 2015, 07:25 AM   #206
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I think I've watched the first 4 episodes of Daredevil so far and it hasn't really grabbed me yet.

I don't know if you like horror style anthology series, but I just discovered a Canadian one called Darknet; it's entertaining.

Coming up next week -- Mad Max!!

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 13th May 2015, 04:20 PM   #207
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

I got a chance to see Avengers Age of Ultron with the family last week. Nice work all around. I kept think how cool the sub-Ultrons were and how many there were. OOF!

Anyway. Back home from Sacramento and watching B5 on DVD. Caught up on Grimm, Grey's Anatomy, and Agents of Shield. Some heavy duty changes this season.
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 09:34 AM   #208
Meurig

Gallery

Just back from Mad Max, which I liked a lot. It's very distinct, and that should be celebrated.

I don't think it's the 5-star perfect score film a lot of reviews have been giving it, though overhype may have contributed to that. Still, very much worth seeing.
Old 17th May 2015, 10:02 AM   #209
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
Just back from Mad Max, which I liked a lot. It's very distinct, and that should be celebrated.

I don't think it's the 5-star perfect score film a lot of reviews have been giving it, though overhype may have contributed to that. Still, very much worth seeing.
As an insider, what did you think of the decision to do as much as possible for real and void CGI?

Old 17th May 2015, 11:53 AM   #210
Meurig

Gallery

First - that's just PR, take it with a pinch of salt. Loads of films claim that and fail to mention the hundreds of shots of rig cleanup, digidoubles, stunt replacement/enhancement etc which is all VFX work, because "WE DID IT ALL FOR REAL!" makes for better headlines.

I guarantee you most anybody who works in FX will say starting with something real and enhancing it is infinitely preferable to making it all up. When you've got a couple of actors walking around reacting to nothing on a studio-lit greenscreen it's so much harder to make the final shots look convincing, but that mostly comes down to the shooting budget. If you can afford to shoot on locations as cool and interesting as the desert in Namibia, you're going to get great looking shots.

Not to belittle them because they're great, but most of the practical stunts are car crashes which is something cinema has been able to do well for decades, and most films still do them practically. There are just more of them here and they're very central to the action.

But there are tonnes of great stunts and the fx work is pretty seamless for the most part.

I think the thing which stops the film from being a 5-star for me is the pacing. It throws everything at the screen pretty much immediately which makes for a brilliantly energetic first half, but then in the second half it doesn't have enough surprises to top what came before.

Like I said, still really enjoyable and worth seeing though.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe