Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 4th May 2008, 10:48 AM   #61
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Sontarans were pretty cool this week. It was also nice to see Rose make an appearance as well. Something's building there! I was suprised to see the Hero Sontaran was Chris Ryan in the confidential He's looking old now, since Mike from the Young Ones.
Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 12:10 PM   #62
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Aeh. Mixed feelings on the Sontaran eps. They were quite well realised, the humour was good and I'm glad that Dr Who continues to take the piss out of itself to a tasteful degree. I did find the first half significantly better than the second though, with the climax not making a lot of sense. Raynor who wrote it seemed to make a similar mistake as with her Dalek episodes last year in setting up a good story only to close it with a nonsensical gimmicky plothole ridden final ten minutes.

As for next week's with the Doctor's Daughter. It does strike me as being a potentially very interesting storyline, plus they've got Georgia Moffett playing the girl, who is of course the real life daughter of Peter Davison. But....... if the trailer is anything to go by, she can't act for shit :/

We'll see.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 12:25 PM   #63
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Well the announcement has finally come.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7411177.stm

The best line of this article... "Bafta-winning writer Steven Moffat will succeed Davies as lead writer and executive producer of the fifth series of Doctor Who."

Very clever of the BBC to realise that the episodes which are continually nominated for awards each year are Moffat's. Great things to come, I think
Old 20th May 2008, 12:30 PM   #64
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

I wasn't so keen on the Agatha Christie ep this week. I thought it was quite weak in comparison to the rest of the series so far. I hope the end of S4 proves to be a big blast like the rumours say, but I can't beleive it can be as big as some of them say
Old 20th May 2008, 12:52 PM   #65
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Illustrator Photoshop

For reference, these are the episodes that Moffat has written:

1.09 "The Empty Child" - 21 May 2005
1.10 "The Doctor Dances" - 28 May 2005
Both Directed by James Hawes
Note: These two episodes won the 2006 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form

2.04 "The Girl in the Fireplace" 6 May 2006
Directed by Euros Lyn
Note: This episode was nominated for a Nebula Award and won the 2007 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form.

3.10 "Blink" 9 June 2007
Directed by Hettie MacDonald
Note: This epsiode won Steven Moffat the BAFTA Craft and BAFTA Cymru awards for Best Writer, and was nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form.

The next two are also by Mr. Moffat:
4.08 "Silence in the Library" 31 May 2008
4.09 "Forest of the Dead"
Both directed by Euros Lyn

I loved all of these episodes and they all stand out as some of the best of the work.

One little tribute to The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances appeared in The Poison Sky when the Doctor puts on a gas mask and asks Colonel Mace:
"Are you my mummy?"
Almost fell out of my chair when I heard that one
Old 20th May 2008, 02:27 PM   #66
Ishmael
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Modo Softimage XSI

@Meriug - ya beat me to it! Best news for a while that Moffat will be taking the helm.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 02:54 PM   #67
deg3D
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Modo Illustrator Photoshop After Effects

And there was much rejoicing... yea!

deg

http://deg3D.biz
deg3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 07:19 PM   #68
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Photoshop After Effects Premiere

We liked the Sontaran episodes but agree with Rhys, the ending was weak as per the Dalek in Manhattan episodes.

Wasp and the Unicorn we thought was really a none starter.....my eldest when seeing the preview the week before said "oh so.....the Shakespeare code all over again" and it was a light episode

The Doctors Daughter....loved that one...good fun, nice but predictable twist at the end and I have a sneaking feeling we will be seeing those cloning machines again!!

Plus Georgian Moffat was a, pretty and b, sounded less like Twiggy that we thought she would so that was ok! I cannot imagine for one minute that we ahve seen that last of her!
janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 07:26 PM   #69
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
Well the announcement has finally come.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7411177.stm

The best line of this article... "Bafta-winning writer Steven Moffat will succeed Davies as lead writer and executive producer of the fifth series of Doctor Who."

Very clever of the BBC to realise that the episodes which are continually nominated for awards each year are Moffat's. Great things to come, I think
Agreed. Completely.

***Janus dances***
Old 25th May 2008, 06:57 PM   #70
Meurig

Gallery

A mid series trailer released by the BBC.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8KPqlscQ-LI&feature=PlayList&p=94467CE2AC304A73&index=0[/media]

Nicely put together I think, it makes the second half of the series feel like it's going to get pretty epic. It's unfortunate brick-face is back but I'm sure that'll please those who'd rather see a blonde on the show than someone who can act.

Anyway, that top-half shadowed Dalek.... come on.... every year people say Davros is coming back but that has to be him this time!
Old 25th May 2008, 10:53 PM   #71
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
A mid series trailer released by the BBC.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8KPqlscQ-LI&feature=PlayList&p=94467CE2AC304A73&index=0[/MEDIA]

Nicely put together I think, it makes the second half of the series feel like it's going to get pretty epic. It's unfortunate brick-face is back but I'm sure that'll please those who'd rather see a blonde on the show than someone who can act.

Anyway, that top-half shadowed Dalek.... come on.... every year people say Davros is coming back but that has to be him this time!
Grr...I hate this 'not available in your country' crap. It's annoying no matter which direction it is going.

US accessible version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVSS_VKgbXg
Old 26th May 2008, 02:55 AM   #72
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

<rant> Why oh why oh why does the whole of Europe cancel all it's top shows and replace them with a bunch of no talent ass clowns who ***think*** they can sing???

There are many,many channels which cater for all sorts of people, even I suppose those that might like to watch the horror that is Eurovision. Why not put the Euro-stupid-"song" Contest on one of them? </rant>

Anyway it's over, next week Doctor Who will be back and it does throw into sharp relief just how good Doctor Who is!
Old 26th May 2008, 02:57 AM   #73
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

"Anyway, that top-half shadowed Dalek.... come on.... every year people say Davros is coming back but that has to be him this time"

Cool trailer thanks for the link! I'd agree it seems likley Davros will return esp with all the rumours about who will play him!
Old 26th May 2008, 04:06 AM   #74
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

Here's a new link, the ones above seem to have been taken down, if you're outside the UK then this one will work but unsure how long for:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGFdwcbe2Wk[/media]
Old 26th May 2008, 06:07 AM   #75
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

I can't believe RTD would quit the show without bringing Davros back, but I don't think that shadowed Dalek is him. There is a clear blue eyepiece where a Dalek's head would be. I know that Davros has his single cyber eye on his forehead, but I don't think they'd make it glow blue (too cheesy) and I think it's far too high for that, as Davros' waist starts below the chair he sits in.

RTD is still on for the 3 specials during 2009 - maybe he's keeping Davros in reserve for those?

I like the Doctor riding the time vortex with just his sonic screwdriver - wonder what that's all about?

And Rose back with a big gun. Super cool.
Old 1st Jun 2008, 08:54 AM   #76
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

That was a pretty cool first parter. I'm glad Moffat is taking over, he's the best thing to happen to the new who.
Old 1st Jun 2008, 03:15 PM   #77
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

Yeah we liked it, not sure about the lady leading the team there's something going on there.looking forward to next weeks! :-)
Old 1st Jun 2008, 03:19 PM   #78
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery

So.....
  • 4022 saved, but no survivors....
  • Doctor mentions that the core of the planet is the largest 'hard drive' ever....
  • 'Donna Noble has been saved'....
Unless they are going a completely other way, I guess we know where that's going.

BTW...remember to backup all your data...and friends....too bad I can't do the same for cash or gas.
Old 1st Jun 2008, 08:18 PM   #79
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Well, I missed this thread brfore. But The episodes are playing in the US only a few weeks after they are played in Great Britain it seems. Just watched "The Poisoned Sky". "The Doctor's Daughter" is next week.
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2008, 09:53 PM   #80
Nadesico
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Maya Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Remember, those "node" things can change their face to make them look like anyone in their flesh banks, as the doctor described when Donna freaked out about the dead guy's face talking to her. For all we know, the teleport data was put in the flesh bank and Donna's being stored there. The doctor saw donna on the node because it's what the node figured the Doctor wanted to see.

"With 5,000,000 models being destroyed a week, who's going to miss another one?"
Nadesico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 03:53 AM   #81
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Anyone else thinking that River Song (or whatever her name is) is Rose or his daughter?
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 09:45 AM   #82
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Robb View Post
Anyone else thinking that River Song (or whatever her name is) is Rose or his daughter?
I thought Rose at first, but she eventually said that he hadn't met her yet in his personal timeline.

She has to have some connection to current/recent cast though, or it would seem a tad too random.

That being said...I am in love with the 'Blue Book' and may try to replicate the cover with some book leather and some blue dye I have. The tardis panel embossing makes it.

Pic for those who are curious:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bluebook.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	10012

Image snagged from the full 'Silence in the Library' ep posted on Youtube :P
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 09:46 AM   #83
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybor View Post
Well, I missed this thread brfore. But The episodes are playing in the US only a few weeks after they are played in Great Britain it seems. Just watched "The Poisoned Sky". "The Doctor's Daughter" is next week.
I can never wait Trey. I see em now and buy the DVD sets as soon as they come out here.

It's wrong, I know, but I find a way to justify it.
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 10:01 AM   #84
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscaron View Post
I thought Rose at first, but she eventually said that he hadn't met her yet in his personal timeline.

She has to have some connection to current/recent cast though, or it would seem a tad too random.

That being said...I am in love with the 'Blue Book' and may try to replicate the cover with some book leather and some blue dye I have. The tardis panel embossing makes it.

Pic for those who are curious:

Attachment 10012

Image snagged from the full 'Silence in the Library' ep posted on Youtube :P

yeh, I know what you mean. I am just never sure about their ability to keep timeline details true. I agree though that there has to be a link (or at least I hope there is. Thinking about it, she can't be the daugther, cos she would have recognised Catherine Tait. I do hope we find out though. Liked the fact that she has a sonic screwdriver, and it was more powerful than his.
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 10:20 AM   #85
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
yeh, I know what you mean. I am just never sure about their ability to keep timeline details true. I agree though that there has to be a link (or at least I hope there is. Thinking about it, she can't be the daugther, cos she would have recognised Catherine Tait. I do hope we find out though. Liked the fact that she has a sonic screwdriver, and it was more powerful than his.
Not sure if it is more powerful or if them being used together. He did say it looked exactly like his...and she told him that HE gave it to her.

First part:
Doctor: What's that?
River: It's a screwdriver.
Doctor: It's sonic.
River: Yeah. I know. [Snap] (or something like that. Couldn't understand it.)
Second part:
Doctor: Your screwdriver....(she assists him with the light)...looks exactly like mine.
River: Yeah....you gave it to me.
Doctor: I don't give my screwdriver to anyone.
River: I'm not anyone.
Doctor: Who are you?
River: What's the plan?
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 11:33 AM   #86
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Could she be the Doctor, in a future incarnation??

Whoa.
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 11:44 AM   #87
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscaron View Post
I can never wait Trey. I see em now and buy the DVD sets as soon as they come out here.

It's wrong, I know, but I find a way to justify it.
LOL!! I just splurged and bought season one......
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 01:12 PM   #88
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
Could she be the Doctor, in a future incarnation??

Whoa.
Thought about that for a moment, it work if she had not had to send the doctor a message calling him to the library.
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 01:34 PM   #89
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Thought about that for a moment, it work if she had not had to send the doctor a message calling him to the library.
And is it just me, but wouldn't a Doctor/Doctor relationship make anything Jack did seem relatively mundane?
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 03:06 PM   #90
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Yeah, after thinking about it I discount it.

Romana? Going by an alias?

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe