Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Showcase All finalized work, 2D, 3D, and animations

Old 9th Dec 2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery
Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Default Misc - Daily Self Portrait Journey

Well I am not sure where this should go since this thread technically won't have any WIP's since each piece is meant to be a daily self portrait. If this thread needs to go some where else please feel free to move it.

I want to start a daily self portrait study with my initial goal of a 1 month period. I am really wanting to gain a solid grasp of painting digitally and so that will be my main medium, though I may branch out from time to time. Another goal is to make these only last 30-40 minutes since I am a student and art projects need to come first.

Please feel free to give any feedback and critique.

Here is SP #1 / 40 minutes

I focused on value changes and tried to maintain broad brush strokes. I didn't want to get lost in detail because I wanted to focus on learning to make stronger statements with fewer strokes.

I left the line work in cause I liked the energy from the lines mixed with the paint, but I think next time I will focus on making them disappear.

Coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2009, 01:24 AM   #2
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Don't know who that dude is but he looks shifty

cool thread and thus first one achieves what it sounds like uouveanted to do.
Old 9th Dec 2009, 04:20 PM   #3
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

Looks really good, hadn't seen this one yet. I like the colors, quite stunning.
Old 9th Dec 2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery

Gordon Robb - Thanks for the comment! Lol, the shifty-ness in the eyes might be since they are too large. I need to focus on proportions some more.

bmckain - Thanks, I stuck with the swatch palette for SP#1 since I still need to train my eyes and their color deficiency.

Here is SP#2, not happy with it. I lost my proportions, perspective and facial structure this time around. It started out well and I intended it to be more of a pencil drawing, but as I went on, I kept trying to paint inside the lines and then the two aesthetics started fighting each other. I was chasing this one way to much and decided to call it quits when I hit the 1 1/2 hour mark and it just kept getting worse. >.> Failure is just another step forward right? Hopefully tomorrow will have better results.

Old 10th Dec 2009, 03:54 AM   #5
Mook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Cool idea, will you do a different person each day? Oh, wait...
Nice pics so far, best of luck with your plan!

Current WIP:
Personal: P-47D Thunderbolt
Just completed:
Product Shot from Tutorial
Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2009, 04:03 AM   #6
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery

certainly both look like the same person/
Gordon Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2009, 04:39 AM   #7
Phoenix
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Photoshop Combustion After Effects

that first one scares me a little hehehe Nice speed sketches though.
Old 11th Dec 2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery

Mook - thanks man! hopefully i can keep up with it

Gordon Robb - thank you sir, the 2nd one is a bit weak though i think ><

Phoenix - lol thanks, those evil green eyes getting to you?

Here is SP#3 / 40 minutes

Sorry for the late update, work and school were a nightmare yesterday. But I have an update today!

I decided to stick with gray scale this time around and focus on my values more. I feel like I tried to focus on too many different aspects of my last image so I tried to narrow it down to set myself up for better success. I feel that this is by far a better image than SP#2.

I also decided to go with Corel Painter X instead of CS4 this time around. I like that CPX is better at simulating real brushes and other art mediums than CS4. I feel that this one has a more traditional media look to it.

Critiques and comments are welcome.

Edit: I also decided to follow the advice of an artist that I have a lot of admiration for and that is Andrew Jones. I found this thread where he gives some very basic steps on how to set up a portrait. I feel like his advice added to how this image turned out.
Old 11th Dec 2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery

To make up for the day I lost yesterday I decided to do another one for today. This one is a digital drawing with corel painter x again. I tried focusing on planes, tonal value, form and proportions.

SP#4 / i'm guessing around 30 minutes this time

Old 11th Dec 2009, 08:55 PM   #10
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

This one looks much more proportional, imo. Good for you for sticking with your goals.
bmckain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 01:50 AM   #11
PolyGone
Contributing Member
 Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Gimp Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere

Out of curiosity, what are you using as reference? Are you looking in a mirror as you create the self portraits, or do you take a photo ahead of time and then use the picture as reference?
PolyGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 04:58 AM   #12
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery

Oh, and what happened to the last 12 day's worth?
Old 24th Dec 2009, 08:12 AM   #13
PolyGone
Contributing Member
 Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Gimp Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Robb View Post
Oh, and what happened to the last 12 day's worth?
I think he's saving them up for a surprise Christmas present to all of us....
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 04:26 PM   #14
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery

Sorry guys, I let the self portraits fall to the back burner. My sister was in town after being gone for a year and I just got distracted. Not a great start lol.

Polygone - I create a single light source and use a mirror.

Gordon Robb - Sorry to disappoint man. I am going to get one up today. My biggest weakness is motivation right now and I thought trying to stick with a daily self portrait goal would get my ass back in gear.

I'll have one up by the end of the day. Think I'll start where I left off and go gray scale and focus on planes and value.
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 04:54 PM   #16
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery

VK08 - Lol, I actually wasn't involved in that. I was watching the office while they enjoyed that marathon.
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 06:57 PM   #17
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery

Alright well I got a couple images worked up. I spent way too long on both of them and neither of them got to the level of polish I would have liked. I am still struggling with digital painting still. I think what it boils down to is that I just need more training from art classes. I am going to be taking a illustration course this next semester which will be good for me. I am excited about it since I am going back to a illustration emphasis.

Anyway, here are the images.

The 1st started out as a contour drawing and then I was going to bring in the brighter values. I messed up my layers and couldn't start over so I decided to do a 2nd one.

The 2nd one is the process that I tried to do with the 1st image. Start with a dark value and work in the light values and highlights. I feel like my strokes look bloated and unremarkable. I tried to work with large brushes and work down to specific and get detail worked in. I had to just call it because it was taking too much time.

Comments and critique are more then welcome.

I need to stay dedicated with this goal of mine.

Old 4th Jan 2010, 05:09 AM   #18
PolyGone
Contributing Member
 Gallery

My main comment is a potential complication with the technique you've described. I've done some self-portrait work before (by hand, albeit, not digital) and I know that working with reflections can lead to complications with proportions and perspective as it's really easy to move subtly and throw your reference off in some way. I would seriously recommend that you consider taking some photos and using them as reference, that way you minimize the number of issues that can get in your way. If you create a portrait and you feel the portions are off somehow, it might be difficult as it is now to know if it's a technique problem or a problem from you moving while painting. Of course, you might be able to freeze like a statue, in which case you're probably good.

On another note, depending on what you wanted to use these portraits for (assuming they were not for practice, but were illustrations of some sort), you have the advantage of scale. You paint these at a size much larger than they would likely ever be viewed at, which allows you to put in great detail, but even when your images look questionable at full resolution, they usually look quite good when zoomed out enough to see the whole image. Your last image, for instance, looks quite nice zoomed out, and if you were to bleed some of the colors so that the borders between highlights and darker areas were not so crisp, as well as removing the few remaining white lines, it would be really tempting to call it finished.
Old 4th Jan 2010, 10:54 AM   #19
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

PolyGone's comments make good sense to me and I don't even draw. The second image does look good zoomed out.
Old 4th Jan 2010, 03:32 PM   #20
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery

Polygone - Thanks for the feedback! I'll give the photo idea a try. I understand your point and agree that you can get better proportion results with a photo. It presents a different process that is enjoyable for me which is the grid method. I used that process on this image actually http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8016, which was painted while referencing a photo. I would agree that movement is why my proportions look a bit off and from image to image they aren't consistent.

The reason I have been doing it from a mirror was in hopes that I would be able to see tonal values easier. That is the one thing I haven't liked about photos is that you do lose detail and subtly from seeing it in real life. However, at this point I think I just need a better understanding of working digitally and minimizing the process might be a good idea. So scaling down could be a good thing for me as well. I might also be getting overwhelmed by the amount of detail that can be put into the image. I have found that I'll get one area rendered out nicely, then look at the rest and feel that it looks unbalanced, so I'll work that area. Then it feels like it becomes an unbalanced mess all together.

At some point, I think I want to go back to a mirror though because there is a lot to be learned from that process as well. But maybe that should be later once I feel grounded working digitally. Thanks again for the feedback, I'll try out your ideas on the next self portrait.
Old 4th Jan 2010, 07:39 PM   #21
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery

Alright here is Jan 3, 2010. I changed my process and used Polygone's suggestions. I think it was a good change. It was a lot more fun because I found that by making the process less involved I was able to pay more attention to values, face structure and the quality of the paint strokes.

Comments and critique more than welcome.

Old 4th Jan 2010, 08:45 PM   #22
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

This is much better, I think it may be your best.
Old 4th Jan 2010, 08:57 PM   #23
PolyGone
Contributing Member
 Gallery

I really like it, and I think rescaling the picture for the final product works quite well. Naturally you'd want the higher-res version for print, but for 72dpi screens, this scale is quite nice.
Old 4th Jan 2010, 10:59 PM   #24
Tovette
Registered Member

Gallery
Maya Modo Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects Premiere

The rendering is good but the palette is a little flat. You need to increase the range of color for your skin tone by using color temperature. For example a simple way of using this is shifting your highlights to a brighter yellow and using orange or to mediate in between.
The bluish-gray areas that- I think- you're using for cool colors are a tad too dark and are not harmonizing with the lit portions of the face. Try brightening up that area a tad.
Old 5th Jan 2010, 02:01 PM   #25
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery

bmckain - thanks!

Polygone - Thanks poly, I think your suggestions were good for me. It freed me up a lot and let me really focus on the values/color and learning digital painting as a medium.

Tovette - Thanks for the advice. I tried to follow your input in today's image. I think it turned out better with brighter highlights. I also tried pushing them more yellow like you said. In the cooler areas I tried to tone down the bluish quality from the previous image and make it more cohesive with the rest of the image. What do you think?

Here is Jan 4, 2010. Sorry for the same pose, due to lack of time I just used the same photo reference as yesterday. Pretty happy with the results though. Think I am finally starting to get the hang of it.

Comments and critique are welcome.

Old 5th Jan 2010, 06:48 PM   #26
PolyGone
Contributing Member
 Gallery

Since this and your last image are based on the same reference, I'll call the first one "Take 1" and the second one "Take 2". There are aspects of the first that I like better, and there are aspects of the second that I also think are an improvement.

I overall like the color scheme better in Take 1, for I think the palette you used is much more natural for skin tones. I also like the blue colors you used for your cool sections, but I do agree that they clash with the rest of the colors as it currently stands.

I have to ask....why are your eyes brown in Take 1 and green in Take 2?

As for Take 2, I do agree that the brighter highlights work well, but I think they should be used just as that: specular highlights. If you had the general color palette of Take 1 with a few brighter spots where the specular highlights would be, I think it would make for a lovely Take 3 (and I do think you should consider doing a third take in the same pose, blending the best of both worlds). As for the cool areas, I think the blues in Take 1 are a nice color, but they need to be blended more smoothly into the other colors to look right. As it is, it looks almost like he has grey paint on his face. Your cool "lowlights" might work as they are if the other darkened areas near them were blended, milder cool tones, like a gradient shifting between the cool grey and the warm tan.
Old 5th Jan 2010, 07:34 PM   #27
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery

Last two look great mate.
Old 6th Jan 2010, 07:19 PM   #28
Coffin
Registered Member

Gallery

Gordon Robb - Thanks!

Polygone - Due to a lack of time, I am gonna come back and reply to your post. I have been scrambling to get today's portrait done before I have to leave. When I get back I'll make a response.

Here is Jan 6, 2010. Struggled with the colors a bit this time around along with the face structure. I apologize for the messy background colors. I think today's could have been better if I didn't feel like I was in a rush. I make poor decisions when I feel rushed.

Old 6th Jan 2010, 09:45 PM   #29
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

You may have been rushed but imo, it's pretty darn good for limited time. I personally think that learning to work when rushed and turn out good work is something to strive for because when you have to do it for a living there will never be enough time.
Old 6th Jan 2010, 10:24 PM   #30
Phoenix
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Photoshop Combustion After Effects

Last one looks excellent. Nicely done.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase