Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 18th Jun 2019, 03:04 AM   #1651
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Central spine detail. And a few overall renders of the ship to give perspective to the recent work. Mostly to convince me I am not going to heavy with the panels etc.

Old 18th Jun 2019, 07:00 AM   #1652
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Having watched you work on this for awhile now, I've grown to like how the bridge is up at the front of the saucer. I like the overall design.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2019, 06:53 PM   #1653
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

yeah the garthish like forward bridge caught me too. I think there is a link there somewhere lol.
Stuff from last night, couldn't get on here.

Quote:
Ok started on the nightmare that are the lower nacelles. Pretty much have had to recut all the edges so I do not have a mess of slanted or angular edges crossing the panels. This in max at least results in a fing mess of inconsistent chamfering. As I am chamfering an edge cut into the hull. KIM you should never chamfer existing edges as it creates "flat spotting" in the geometry. Though I am altering geo slightly by manually cutting vertical and redirecting the horz edges. Maybe I should have shown a before and after lol. Anyhow renders show existing IDEAs of what I plan to do.

I really do not like that forward panel and the midway one with the angle but if I make that panel consistent with the 2 behind it it makes for some janky shapes around that strut mount cowling. Idea of these panels like on almost all my trek/fed ships is they can be removed to gain access to pull large chunks of the drive system out. EG that panel that creates a ring enables them to pull off that whole backside off and access parts en masse. Also seeing as it renders the lower panel line on the 2 aft-ward panels is not really following the hull shape all that well (augh) looks ok in viewport but heh. And well as canon says they can also be used as shielding sections, assuming the emitters are ringing the groove. (not gonna model that crap lol, just pretend all along the sides of the grooves there is a dental molding like detail ringing all along each panel gap.

AND yes, I need to adjust my pennant decals as they stand far too proud of the hull for some odd reason. Likely as all the junk in the nacelles have to be mirrored in the X and Y axis for 4 nacelles alignments are not all centered on all the crap that makes up the nacelles. I did want to semi mimic what they had done in STD making the markings look as if they were more than paint on the hull. Though I am sure it was done less because of the idea of durability and more of a software or time/machine limit.

image showing wireframe alterations to make life easier to add in details also to get rid of all those ugly subdiv effects due to how I wanted this part of the nacelles to look.

Quote:
Ok here is a wireframe cap to show how I altered the edges on the mesh. Part optimization of useless edges as well as altering the flow by manual cuts and manual edge removal.

Blue cowling is still a subdiv object. Aft nacelle cap is detached to mirror the details I was doing on the topside of it. All of this should be welded in once done but often I leave it in bits as long as the detached bits are on a face angle change or inside a groove (which is a face angle change anyhow!) it rarely is a issue in rendering in max. Exporting this would probably turn it into a mess.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 04:21 AM   #1654
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Panels uvwed and extruded etc.

Old 20th Jun 2019, 02:51 AM   #1655
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Rough composite
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 07:58 AM   #1656
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

missing posts cause site is laggy or not there.

Mess of small details and more scoops and venty disc things.

Old 22nd Jun 2019, 06:16 PM   #1657
TrekMD
Registered Member
 Gallery
Paint Shop Pro

Looks great!
TrekMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2019, 01:05 AM   #1658
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ok all the little hatches are done as well as adding a few. Spent some time making a dummy set of nacelles for some full renders. Some of the small details around the bussards wont match up exactly as I have to re-clone and position these parts.

sheesh took forever to render and clone off the nacelles >_>
Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM   #1659
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ship lighting tests.

Mostly some reg objects. ATM they are just bent angled bits vs anything cut into the hull or applied as decals. Max lacks a proper shrinkwrap or what not for raw text.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress