Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

3D Tutorials and your questions on your particular 3D application. Or post questions for general 3D help.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default LightWave - Looking for conversion help Sketch up to Lightwave

I've been hoping to find a Star Trek Invasion Typhon-Class carrier, with no such luck, I stumbled upon this "Valkyrie-Class" carrier, about 8 or so times the size. But it's in sketch up, and readily available for download at the link below.

https://calamitysi.deviantart.com/ar...raft-595523663

It looks like it's been converted for the below animator, or by said animator:

https://vimeo.com/270195531

Looking for help to get this mesh into lightwave for some less-than-stellar images
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 09:45 AM   #2
ccclarke
Registered Member
 
ccclarke's Avatar
 Gallery
LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 137
Default

If you don't have a copy of Sketchup Pro, you can download a 30-day trial version which has an OBJ exporter built-in, then load it directly into Lightwave.

https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-pro

CCC
__________________
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, what kind of questions do stupid people ask?
ccclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 08:31 PM   #3
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Thanks @ccclarke Although it's completely untextured
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 09:23 PM   #4
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
If you don't have a copy of Sketchup Pro, you can download a 30-day trial version which has an OBJ exporter built-in, then load it directly into Lightwave.

https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-pro

CCC
I guess I don't know how to import the .mtl file?
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 08:26 AM   #5
billy-home
Contributing Member
 
billy-home's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default

I've already started to convert it, it's a bit of a mess, lots of flipped polys and screwed up UV maps from the export, once it's finished I'll ask if it's okay to share a copy, as I don't really like just passing someone else's model about without permission, I can't really see it being a problem though
billy-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 09:01 AM   #6
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy-home View Post
I've already started to convert it, it's a bit of a mess, lots of flipped polys and screwed up UV maps from the export, once it's finished I'll ask if it's okay to share a copy, as I don't really like just passing someone else's model about without permission, I can't really see it being a problem though
He did put up the sketch up file for free so anyone may download, so if you were willing to pass it on fit us, I know I would be forever grateful, Billy!
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 09:11 AM   #7
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Do you have any idea how long something like this might take, I'm still a novice with animation and I don't think I'll ever be able to properly model

Thank you again for your hard work ❤️
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 03:37 PM   #8
billy-home
Contributing Member
 
billy-home's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default

I'm nearly done, It's taken over a week already, the model is a real mess TBH, there's so many flipped and damaged polys that need fixing, I'm hoping it'll be done by the weekend.

I've also had to re-map a lot of it, as the UV's got screwed up during the export, and changed some of the textures, some of them were so lo-res as to be useless for anything close-up

It's was also a very poly heavy model, it'd be a swine to animate, I think I've managed to half it up to now, which I hope will make things a bit easier to do.

I'll keep you updated on progress
Cheers
Billy

calamitySi said it's fine to pass it on when it's done as well, so no problems there then

Last edited by billy-home : 31st May 2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: reply to earlier message
billy-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 06:42 PM   #9
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy-home View Post
I'm nearly done, It's taken over a week already, the model is a real mess TBH, there's so many flipped and damaged polys that need fixing, I'm hoping it'll be done by the weekend.

I've also had to re-map a lot of it, as the UV's got screwed up during the export, and changed some of the textures, some of them were so lo-res as to be useless for anything close-up

It's was also a very poly heavy model, it'd be a swine to animate, I think I've managed to half it up to now, which I hope will make things a bit easier to do.

I'll keep you updated on progress
Cheers
Billy

calamitySi said it's fine to pass it on when it's done as well, so no problems there then
Billy,

You're amazing! The next time I'm in... where every you are, I'll buy you a whole pizza.

Any chance you're removing the registry and might have an blank one for those of us who like to be unique?
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2018, 12:48 AM   #10
billy-home
Contributing Member
 
billy-home's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default

I'll see what I can do, the registry is physically modelled into the ship, it shouldn't be a problem to remove them and set up some new uv mapped panels for textured registries instead.
billy-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2018, 07:37 PM   #11
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Now, just to find a Valkyrie fighter...
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 04:58 AM   #12
billy-home
Contributing Member
 
billy-home's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default

Already converted the Pheonix class fighter, with a few modifications so it can land.

I'll zip it up and send you a link to it



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9vtCPpa-sA
for some reason I can't embed the link properly
billy-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 05:17 AM   #13
billy-home
Contributing Member
 
billy-home's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default

Here's a link to the fighter

https://mega.nz/#!lVUBTQha!CxcYi1hkY...fVGsvnOwt8AHoA

Enjoy
Billy
billy-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 08:48 AM   #14
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Billy, my main man, you're simply the best, better than all the rest!
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 03:30 AM   #15
billy-home
Contributing Member
 
billy-home's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default

Here's the Valkyrie, there might be a few little errors I've missed, but none that stand out that I can see, have fun with it and post some cool renders when you get a chance
Cheers
Billy

https://mega.nz/#!kA9gXSoA!R7iewWnTK...00t9n3gGZ62K94
billy-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 05:07 PM   #16
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Billy!!! It looks amazing! I can't get the UV maps for the custom registry to work quite right, but it's fun to animate. Any recommendations? They come out all stretched.

If you ever go back to work on it, breaking apart the turrets might be a cool idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy-home View Post
Here's the Valkyrie, there might be a few little errors I've missed, but none that stand out that I can see, have fun with it and post some cool renders when you get a chance
Cheers
Billy

https://mega.nz/#!kA9gXSoA!R7iewWnTK...00t9n3gGZ62K94
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2018, 04:44 PM   #17
billy-home
Contributing Member
 
billy-home's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default

I had that problem when I originally saved a jpg version from Photoshop at work, I had to reload it into Paintshop Pro when I got home and re-save it, for some reason the PS version wouldn't load correctly.
I was thinking of doing the turrets, that's why they are on their own layer, but it's take forever to split them all up, I might have a go at it one day though, possibly just do a couple for close up effect shots
billy-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2018, 04:53 PM   #18
billy-home
Contributing Member
 
billy-home's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default

forgot to mention, I set up morphs for both rear hangar doors so they could open, I've not actually tested them yet though so I don't know how well they'll work
billy-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 07:37 PM   #19
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy-home View Post
I had that problem when I originally saved a jpg version from Photoshop at work, I had to reload it into Paintshop Pro when I got home and re-save it, for some reason the PS version wouldn't load correctly.
I was thinking of doing the turrets, that's why they are on their own layer, but it's take forever to split them all up, I might have a go at it one day though, possibly just do a couple for close up effect shots
As far as the .psd is concerned it looks okay when saved, but all I can see is a stretched U.S.S., barely
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2018, 02:12 PM   #20
billy-home
Contributing Member
 
billy-home's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default

it was the same with me, it looks fine in any paint prog that can open a psd, but when it was loaded into LW it stretched and the lettering went a weird grey colour
billy-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2018, 09:05 AM   #21
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy-home View Post
it was the same with me, it looks fine in any paint prog that can open a psd, but when it was loaded into LW it stretched and the lettering went a weird grey colour
How did the first one work, but subsequent ones won't? Weird
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2018, 12:54 PM   #22
billy-home
Contributing Member
 
billy-home's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro After Effects
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 100
Default

sorry been away working, I originally did the registries in a program called Corel Draw, it's like Adobe Illustrator, works with vectors but even those when exported as images I have to run through a paint program and save at jpg or similar, I think it's down to the codecs, for a better word, (I know they are video things) each program uses, not all of them are able to be used by LW
billy-home is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.


2006 - 2013 Foundation 3D