Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 17th Dec 2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Cool Elite Dangerous

I'm getting tempted to buy my first PC based game in a VERY long time...

Elite Dangerous.

But I figure there are a of more experienced gamers around here than me, and pretty much all of you will have a good eye for cool space graphics!

So anyone tried it yet?

Nick

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2014, 10:26 AM   #2
3D_CG
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave Terragen ZBrush Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

Location: Spokane Washington, North Side in a quiet neighbor hood, Tell I start My Harley, Then its NOISY...

is it a strategy game?

"Remember The Vets who fought for our Freedom" ...
Intel I7 980 OC'D to 5.1 GHZ, Water Cooled, Gigabyte MB
132 gig ram, 5 HD's, TITAN Z Black , GTX 1080,
LightWave 11.6.3, 32 and 64 bit

http://boincstats.com/signature/-1/user/355618/sig.png
3D_CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

I've not played it, but I suspect it could get dull and grindy very quickly. It's keeping me from picking it up until more reviews are out.

It does look pretty though.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2014, 10:36 AM   #4
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

Ive been in on it from the Beta, graphically very good, still some bugs now but they are squashing them.

However they decided to ditch offline mode some time ago but did not mention that until a couple of weeks ago and that upset many including me. There is even a solo mode but that is still online.

So overall its enjoyable and vast 40 Billion stars as its procedural, is it as good as original Elite, not really, graphically its far superior and far more options, its just it does not grab you like the original but that could also be an age thing. Quite a few of the planned features have yet to be implemented but what they have got is fairly sound.

Thing is some of the things they are proposing i dont see the point of. Its a space trading and exploration game, however they want to be able to land on planets and walk around, im mean what next Call of Duty Planet Lave.

I think the original scope was far to big and they should have made it smaller, more realised and robust. 40 billion stars, i mean who is ever going to do all of them. The procedural nature also brought up allot of problems and bugs.

Overall its worth the money if its your sort of game. I have EVE online for some time hoping it was like Elite but it just never engaged me like Elite and i fear that Elite Dangerous may be the same. I also tried the previous Elite games after the original, graphically better but again just not the same.

Oh and piloting is a bit of work, lots of controls and remembering keys and stuff.

If you get it let me know, there is a good private group called Moebius and im part of it.

My next fear is people breaking the game and cheats, aim bots and all that, it will kill the game for many which is one of the reasons i wanted an offline version as well but they killed that off some time ago.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post

I think the original scope was far to big and they should have made it smaller, more realised and robust. 40 billion stars, i mean who is ever going to do all of them. The procedural nature also brought up allot of problems and bugs.
400 billion actually I agree, that value is daft, but at least it means you can go where no-one has gone before. There are some suprises in space. Multiple stars right next to each other, black holes etc.

And..... the Thargoids are coming.
Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2014, 12:09 PM   #6
biotech

Gallery
3DS Max Bryce Poser Terragen Vue Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro

I was thinking of getting it, but I would rather get it on disk than download, and I am having trouble finding anywhere that sells it.
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2014, 12:29 PM   #7
SteveMoody
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Softimage XSI Vue Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

I've been watching some of the progress and i'm tempted to get it as well. It's just i don't have much time for playing games these days.

I also played EVE online as well for a while as it was the closest game to Elite that ive seen but i couldn't put in the hours needed to make much progress.
SteveMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2014, 12:37 PM   #8
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Thanks all for the comments...

I'm not bothered by the idea of grinding, if they maintain the level of interest the original had, (I used to love docking manually!).

The huge number of planets? I rather like the idea I might find some that no one else visited, it gives you the possibility of a unique journey through the game.

My biggest concern is that I am buying for nostalgia - and these days I generally go for games I can pick up and put down quickly rather than something that will take over my life for a few months...

Old 17th Dec 2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Harbinger
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

I remember playing this way back in 1984 on the BBC Micro, then the humble ZX Spectrum, followed by the Atari ST, and finally the Amiga. Might treat myself next week off my birthday cash...

Is the game on Steam, or do you have to buy the retail package?

1080p Gaming PC
i5 3470, 16Gb, GTX 1050Ti, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD, ASUS BD-RE

Gaming Laptop
i7 4710MQ, 16Gb, GTX 860M, 500Gb SSD

Convertible Laptop
Surface Book

Tablet
Surface Pro 4
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2014, 03:32 PM   #10
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase1 View Post
My biggest concern is that I am buying for nostalgia - and these days I generally go for games I can pick up and put down quickly rather than something that will take over my life for a few months...
I have been needy to see a modern release of this game for the PC for some years now so I'm really tempted to get Elite: Dangerous, but like Starbase I suspect that I'm being reeled in by the nostalgia thing. It does indeed look a whole universe of pretty. They ran a short report on the game's development over on the BBC News website the other week and even demoed the game using the Oculus Rift setup... Oh wow!

I'm disappointed to hear that there's not going to be an offline facility; a little short-sighted on the part of the game developers I feel considering that a large proportion of the fan base are probably nostalgia junkies like us!

I really did love this game back in the day; ran it on the Atari ST. - Great days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atari ST -- Elite.png
Views:	101
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	76372  Click image for larger version

Name:	Atari ST -- Elite1.png
Views:	93
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	76373  Click image for larger version

Name:	Atari ST -- Elite2.png
Views:	105
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	76374  Click image for larger version

Name:	Atari ST -- Elite3.png
Views:	102
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	76375  

Name:	Atari ST -- Elite4.png
Views:	106
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	76376  Click image for larger version

Name:	Atari ST -- Elite5.png
Views:	109
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	76377  Click image for larger version

Name:	Atari ST -- Elite6.png
Views:	111
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	76378  Click image for larger version

Name:	Atari ST -- Elite7.png
Views:	105
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	76379  

Old 17th Dec 2014, 01:13 PM   #11
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Well Nick then Elite is not for you, its similar to the original you start slowly and lowly and build up through trade, combat, piracy and such. Yes i brought it for nostalgia and because i wanted to help the company launch it.

Its not a quick pick up and put down game as the clock is always running. If you accept a mission the clock is running and stopping and saving does not allow you to go back later on the clock ticks even when you are not online.

This was the great disappointment for me not having an offline mode. I don't particularly care whether im playing real people or AI ships, its nice to think you are playing real people but its not like you see them, you can talk/chat to them but so what.

It is in IMHO better than EVE and its a good game but i don't think i have the time or inclination to be a hardcore player, but it sure is pretty and docking now is great if a little more complicated.
Old 17th Dec 2014, 01:16 PM   #12
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Harbinger its a download but you can also buy a hard copy at the store, as far as i know its not on steam, well not yet at least.
Old 17th Dec 2014, 01:18 PM   #13
Harbinger
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
Harbinger its a download but you can also buy a hard copy at the store, as far as i know its not on steam, well not yet at least.
A pity - I'd prefer it on Steam, as it makes running it on multiple PCs much easier.

1080p Gaming PC

Gaming Laptop

Convertible Laptop
Surface Book

Tablet
Surface Pro 4
Old 17th Dec 2014, 01:40 PM   #14
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Who knows maybe later. I have noticed a few newer games that are not on steam, they all seem to want to come up with their own in house version of Steam, im thinking of Origin here with Battlefield.
Old 17th Dec 2014, 01:52 PM   #15
Harbinger
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

I've just had a quick look on Elite's forums, and it will allow you to install on multiple PCs - understandably, I can only login to one PC at a time.

My wife has just informed me that she had planned to get this for my birthday...

1080p Gaming PC

Gaming Laptop

Convertible Laptop
Surface Book

Tablet
Surface Pro 4
Old 17th Dec 2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Been playing since beta, thoroughly enjoying it. It's a little odd to describe it. It's an MMO but it really isn't. With the multiple routes to Elite now with Trading / Bounty / Exploring there's plenty to do, but there really is no central goal nor storyline (or at least, nothing massive). It's like it was in 84, you just play it and imagine the rest. This doesn't go down well with a lot of gamers today.

I think it could be improved a lot, but what there is is already fun. If you count a game by how many hours you'll play it, I think Elite is worth it.

I play with trackIR and a HOTAS, with voiceattack for many commands. It really adds depth to be able to speak commands - and it means you can keep your hands off the keyboard a lot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_0005.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	76366  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0013.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	76367  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0032.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	76368  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0046.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	76369  

Name:	Screenshot_0062.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	76370  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0061.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	76371  
Old 17th Dec 2014, 03:58 PM   #17
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase1 View Post
I'm getting tempted to buy my first PC based game in a VERY long time...

Elite Dangerous.

But I figure there are a of more experienced gamers around here than me, and pretty much all of you will have a good eye for cool space graphics!

So anyone tried it yet?

Nick
I did and then found it doesn't run on Vista. Bosh!
Old 17th Dec 2014, 09:03 PM   #18
Jedi2016
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

Yeah, I've been playing this for a while, I love it. Just got off a couple hours doing some low-level trading and missions, haven't even bought a new ship yet. The "grind" doesn't really bother me because there's a sense of progression. The more money you make, the more money you can make, it sort of snowballs. Right now I'm just trading for money, but I do plan to eventually get into exploring.
Old 18th Dec 2014, 02:04 AM   #19
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Loved it on the Spectrum. Don't know that I'd have the patience I did then. Although it looks beautiful.
Old 18th Dec 2014, 03:49 AM   #20
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

John - I may well give it a go anyway, despite the depth. Looking at some of the videos, I could probably spend a lot of time happily flying around and just exploring!

I'm more concerned about getting a game on my main graphics PC, and how that might affect my more constructive use of my free time!

Can any of you comment on what sort of hardware is needed for a good experience? My PC was state of the art a couple of years back, less cutting edge now. And nothing that fancy for a graphics card.

Old 18th Dec 2014, 05:44 AM   #21
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

I'd stick it out and wait for No Man's Sky instead, it looks a lot more interesting.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2014, 06:58 AM   #22
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Well Nick its runs well on my laptop at full spec, but my laptop has GeForce GTX 660 2Gb, 32Gb memory and 18.4" Screen. Check the requirements but its not to heavy.
Old 18th Dec 2014, 07:33 AM   #23
hal
Registered Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Poser Terragen ZBrush Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

If you are going to play it then you need to play it like this...

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/12/08/now-play-pc-games
Old 18th Dec 2014, 08:05 AM   #24
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
If you are going to play it then you need to play it like this...

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/12/08/now-play-pc-games
That's a hell of a rig.

Also as well as No Man's Sky check out Star Citizen which also looks good, im sure they are all fairly the same. Time will tell which one lasts.
Old 18th Dec 2014, 03:32 PM   #25
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

OK, I gave up and bought a copy!

Something to keep me busy over the long break!

Old 18th Dec 2014, 08:16 PM   #26
dougx
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Great game,just picked it up now just waiting on my Saitek Pro joystick to arrive! Thou I can imagine this game would be epic with the oculus rift !
Old 19th Dec 2014, 04:39 AM   #27
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougx View Post
Great game,just picked it up now just waiting on my Saitek Pro joystick to arrive! Thou I can imagine this game would be epic with the oculus rift !
It is
Old 18th Dec 2014, 11:28 PM   #28
biotech

Gallery
3DS Max Bryce Poser Terragen Vue Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro

Can you tell me how big the download is?
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2014, 11:54 PM   #29
Harbinger
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotech View Post
Can you tell me how big the download is?
I think the installation files total around 3.5 gigabytes.

1080p Gaming PC

Gaming Laptop

Convertible Laptop
Surface Book

Tablet
Surface Pro 4
Old 19th Dec 2014, 01:11 AM   #30
biotech

Gallery