Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 18th Oct 2015, 04:36 PM   #91
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Default Deck 5

The main shuttlebay's basement level.

'Inventing' a way for how the elevators were supposed to perform their respective tasks took a little thought... Gravitational field manipulation is the key

As this room is obviously for the maintenance of shuttles I gave this room it's own cargo transporter; It seemed to be the simplest way for materials and hardware to be manufactured and brought to the facility. It made so much sense in fact that I gave a couple to the main bay too! Note the presence of some anti-grav sleds and the high-tech work benches with holo-displays.

So there you have it. Not as complicated as the main bridge model, but still challenging in a bunch of other ways, certainly. It even cost me a couple of complete restarts when I started; that approach seems to have established itself as an irritating certainty of my workflow it would seem.

Oh and the shuttles are on order! - Looking forward to seeing these rooms populated with a full suite of those; that'll be the icing on the cake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Main Shuttlebay (Deck 5).jpg
Views:	337
Size:	560.7 KB
ID:	79996  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Main Shuttlebay (Deck 5)1.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	79997  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Main Shuttlebay (Deck 5)2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	646.8 KB
ID:	79998  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Main Shuttlebay (Deck 5)3.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	590.8 KB
ID:	79999  

Name:	FND3D -- Main Shuttlebay Deck5.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	80000  
Old 19th Oct 2015, 09:44 AM   #92
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

Stunning work there, glad you have kept up with this work. It should make for a very interesting model when it is finally finished.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2015, 12:00 PM   #93
SG_Stargazers
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

Incredible job, I always was curious to see what the main shuttle bay would look like.

When you get the shuttle's in there it will really make the entire room come alive.
SG_Stargazers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2019, 06:33 PM   #94
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

Talking This Project IS Still Alive!

October 2015! - Wow! I’ve stalled this project pretty bad haven’t I?

My lifestyle has not been absent its persistent distractions, some of which are admittedly self-inflicted (learning the guitar is hard and time consuming) and without a doubt the 3D modelling has suffered tremendously… which I regret.

Then there’s the ill-fated Stage 9 project, the progress of which I was watching like a hawk. I’d dare suggest that played some part in taking the wind out of my sails because the work presented by that team was so amazing. However, a few months after the termination of that project by a bunch of miseries at CBS, I found that my belly started rumbling for this old old old project of mine. – So I picked it up… again!

I left this project having completed the three shuttlebay models so it was onto prepping them for installing into Pro9’s Enterprise-D, which wasn’t as straightforward as one might expect. My initial challenge was one of fixing the proportions of everything. The Sternbach blueprints do a fair job of telling me what the floorspace looks like but as for the height of everything (including walls) in that main shuttlebay, it was all guesswork, with the relationships between length-width-height having been informed by my model of shuttlebay 2, which was itself informed by a low quality scan I have of the plans for that set. - And that guesswork was of course quite quite wrong.

Second big challenge was the contour of that ceiling to the main shuttlebay which rolls off on a slope from bridge module to shuttlebay door. The control booths located at the extreme aft of the bay punched through the hull so I had to fidgit those around to a location in the bay that was more appropriate and filling the gap they left with a balcony for an upper-level that could afford to have its height chopped by about a third.

Third big challenge was that damned shuttlebay door: Trying to find a combination of making the design work logically (eg. when the door's open, it has to disappear into the ceiling somewhere) balanced against not butchering my model too much, against trying not to butcher Pro9's model at all, against trying to not make whatever direction I was heading in look crap! - Yeah, that was time consuming. And when you go through this exercise you learn that this door would never actually work in reality.

Fourth challenge: What to do about the fact that the doors to shuttlebays 2 and 3 are vertical when you're standing in the bay looking out... and sloped at a steep angle when you're floating outside the ship looking in!

But I got there!

Another chapter complete. I'm back playing with the decks in the saucer again at this point, splitting up the sections I've made so far into smaller rooms. Going forward I have to decide what I want to do about the living quarters; I'm sure as hell not going to model some behind every window but I have reasonable references to the living quarters for Picard, Riker and Troi; so maybe I'll commit to three hero sets at least. I also want to stick some basic furniture behind several of the large windows at the rim of the saucer.

So this project's not dead! But it is of course free from the burden of any kind of timetable. It's probably for the best that I not discount the possibility that my next update will be in about 3 to 4 years!

SG_Stargazers - Cheers! So little had been presented of the main shuttlebay, both in the show and by any of the art generated by the fan community; I'm almost certain that I was the first to take a crack at it (and present it). Obviously I run at a snails pace so in the time it's taken me to complete my interpretation of what the main shuttlebay would look like, I've seen two or three completed versions listed on Google Images!
I would love to have a go at creating shuttlecraft for this thing (including the NEVER BEFORE SEEN Type-9A cargo shuttle) but I think you'll agree, I'm taking long enough on this!

John Marchant - Thanks!! This project is interesting and I love this ship, so it really doesn't deserve to have been left hanging for as long as I have let it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	627.8 KB
ID:	85593  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	621.3 KB
ID:	85594  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	740.6 KB
ID:	85595  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	718.8 KB
ID:	85596  

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays5.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	563.8 KB
ID:	85597  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays6.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	489.8 KB
ID:	85598  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays7.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	715.7 KB
ID:	85599  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays8.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	735.1 KB
ID:	85600  

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays9.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	940.6 KB
ID:	85601  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays10.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	573.4 KB
ID:	85602  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- All 3 Shuttlebays11.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	85603  
Old 6th Apr 2019, 05:13 AM   #95
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Glad you are back on it, look forward to seeing your progress. What's the poly count like now.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 05:52 AM   #96
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

Total count is at: 782497. - Pro9's Enterprise-D accounts for 415024 of those.

If I didn't go through my models a second time to see what I could save where, the count would easily smash a million, just through the addition of those shuttlebays alone.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 09:43 AM   #97
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Well, that's pretty reasonable for the level of detail. It's very easy to go way over the top and before you know it becomes unmanageable.

Get the big stuff out of the way, that's what everyone sees, the smaller stuff like fitting and fixtures can be added later if the poly count allows.Now with instancing and such its so much easier.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 12:13 PM   #98
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

Oh, it's far too easy to go way over the top.
Consider these:
The dedication plaque on the bridge was reduced from 39780 polygons to 691.
The rear wall pattern behind the bar in Ten Forward was reduced from 10589 polygons to 48.
The glass honeycomb effect on the door to Shuttlebay 2 was reduced from 92428 polygons to 1; likewise, the door to Shuttlebay 3 went from 167594 polygons to 1.
24 cargo containers in the Main Shuttlebay, totalling 49440 polygons were reduced to 16944.
Door to the Main Shuttlebay was reduced from 52562 polygons to 17554.
Rungs on a pair of ladders in the Main bay went from 21450 Polygons to 12820.

Typically made possible through the use of texture maps.

The toughest objects with which to score any real saving in is furniture; chairs cost a lot and give me practically nothing.

I've heard of instancing which sounds like a great facility to have but unfortunately my version of LightWave is too old.
Old 7th Apr 2019, 04:36 AM   #99
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Instancing is good for repetitive things and such, like common hallways or doors, windows, stairs and such. Its the placement that takes some time but once done it certainly culls the polycount a bit. It does take some forward planning though.

Seems you have managed to chisel down the poly count though. How much of the interior are you planning doing then.
Old 7th Apr 2019, 06:58 AM   #100
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

My original intentions for this project remain true. If the ship has an external door that opens, I want there to be something behind it. If there's a window, then I want you to be able to see the room from outside, even if it's an empty one; if a window is larger or has a "big deal" room behind it (like the Bridge or Ten Forward) then I'll go all-out.

The big items on the to-do list has Picard's/Riker's/Troi's living quarters on it; once that's done we'll call the project 99% completed, but beyond that? - I'm mulling over a few nik-naks which should be fun, interesting and seldom/never seen before. Having been in the community a while now, I've seen what artists are inclined to do with these ships; It's mainly beauty shots, space battles, and docking scenes. - So I've got a few ideas.

But then? - We'll see!
Old 8th Apr 2019, 07:24 AM   #101
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Indeed, very ambitious indeed. It means that we could do some very nice close ups and pull back shots. Always liked the idea of being able to get close up to a model and not just having a textured window that you cant get close too.
Old 8th Apr 2019, 07:28 AM   #102
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

That looks amazing!

It may be a bit too late to suggest a solution to the hangar doors, but here goes. In that time period they can do a lot of things we consider challenging or down-right impossible. So who's to say those doors, which would never retract into the ceiling, are rigid? Perhaps they have a flexible structure which allows them to curve into the shape of the ceiling? But becomes rigid when closed to hold in the atmosphere (which is held in by a force field anyways). Animating it could be done with bones.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2019, 01:19 PM   #103
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

Cheers Rigel! - You're absolutely right; my thinking was too 21st Century!
Those doors would definitely need to be assisted by some kind of force field manipulation or as you say, be made of a material that possesses a property that allows the door to adjust its form on the fly so it can A) stay within its runners for its full travel and B) doesn't rip through the sides of the bay as the wider part of the door is dragged into the ceiling.

Or... The door could be a holographic recreation so the ship's computer could manipulate its dimensions on the fly! Or maybe the transporter could be used to dematerialise the door, place it in transporter suspension for the duration of the docking procedure and then beam the door back when required! - Ah, now I'm in a 24th Century frame of mind!

John Marchant - That's exactly where my head is.
It was about the mid-naughties that I first saw the most practiced of the 3D modelling community expanding the detail of a ship model far beyond what you see on the skin of its hull; I always found that fascinating. It's a bit more common place now of course but no less fascinating to me. - It adds another layer of reality to all this illusion.
Old 8th Apr 2019, 06:40 PM   #104
Professor Moriarty
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I love these test renders of the bays from outside the ship. They really underline how gargantuan the Galaxy-class starships were.

(Are?)

(Will be?)

(Verb tense is so confusing when talking about a fictional starship first seen over thirty years ago that's not supposed to exist for another 345 years!)

Marvelous stuff. The demise of the Stage 9 project still sucks donkey balls, but at least I'm glad to see you back at this!
Old 9th Apr 2019, 02:07 AM   #105
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

Default "By God, That's a Big Ship!"

The bonkers size of the Galaxy class adds to the magic of the thing.

It's backstory fires the imagination also. I always liked that the ship was conceived out of an extended period of unprecedented peace for the Federation. The Federation called upon their best to design the biggest, most powerful, most capable, most advanced exploration vessel of all time. A ship that could carry 5000 officers and crew (including families), operate independently of support for extended periods and was expected to be in service for around 100 years with major upgrades and system swapouts every 20 years.

Over on Cygnus IX there's an amusing document written up by a fan proposing why he believes the Galaxy class project was a colossal failure! (the blasphemer!)

...and I was sooo disappointed when CBS shut down the Stage 9 project. What that team had achieved with the latest release was phenomenal; faithful, respectful and very clever. What they presented prior to the release that was abruptly aborted was another level of refinement; it looked amazing. And their plans for expanding the project in the future, what was on the cards and what had already been drafted blew my freakin' mind. - Nothing short of glorious!
I wouldn't dispute that CBS acted well within their rights, but I would suggest that they didn't handle the situation very well. CBS hold all the cards; the project was clearly the result of the collective affection of the dedicated, the committed and the talented. Pretty sure CBS could have worked something out with that team, discuss, meet in the middle, set conditions... but instead they chose to strong-arm them into shutting down, absent any conditions.
Old 25th Apr 2019, 04:09 AM   #106
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jota View Post
The bonkers size of the Galaxy class adds to the magic of the thing.

It's backstory fires the imagination also. I always liked that the ship was conceived out of an extended period of unprecedented peace for the Federation. The Federation called upon their best to design the biggest, most powerful, most capable, most advanced exploration vessel of all time. A ship that could carry 5000 officers and crew (including families), operate independently of support for extended periods and was expected to be in service for around 100 years with major upgrades and system swapouts every 20 years.

Over on Cygnus IX there's an amusing document written up by a fan proposing why he believes the Galaxy class project was a colossal failure! (the blasphemer!)

...and I was sooo disappointed when CBS shut down the Stage 9 project. What that team had achieved with the latest release was phenomenal; faithful, respectful and very clever. What they presented prior to the release that was abruptly aborted was another level of refinement; it looked amazing. And their plans for expanding the project in the future, what was on the cards and what had already been drafted blew my freakin' mind. - Nothing short of glorious!
I wouldn't dispute that CBS acted well within their rights, but I would suggest that they didn't handle the situation very well. CBS hold all the cards; the project was clearly the result of the collective affection of the dedicated, the committed and the talented. Pretty sure CBS could have worked something out with that team, discuss, meet in the middle, set conditions... but instead they chose to strong-arm them into shutting down, absent any conditions.
Yes the closing down of stage 9 and of course CBS did act within their rights but it was fan art FFS and faithful.

Cant wait to see more of your work on D.
Old 25th Apr 2019, 05:29 AM   #107
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

Nice job on the shuttlebays.
Old 1st May 2019, 05:57 AM   #108
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

Cheers Tony! - Quite satisfying to see those done.
Old 1st May 2019, 06:34 AM   #109
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

Default One of the Nik-Naks: The Warp Core

I've just closed about three weeks recreating much of the set for Main Engineering, starting with the warp core as well as the upper, ground and basement levels... and the chief engineer's office plus the adjacent work stations... and the two isolation doors but that's it for now on this one!

So how can a half completed model of Main Engineering possibly benefit this project? - Main Engineering is pretty deep into the belly of the ship and there are no windows to speak of. Hmmm...

Incidentally this was a hoot to make!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D Main Engineering - Warp Core.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	85638  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D Main Engineering - Warp Core1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	85639  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D Main Engineering - Warp Core2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	85640  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D Main Engineering - Warp Core3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	85641  

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D Main Engineering - Warp Core4.jpg
Size:	714.1 KB
ID:	85642  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D Main Engineering - Warp Core5.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	725.9 KB
ID:	85643  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D Main Engineering - Warp Core6.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	602.1 KB
ID:	85644  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D Main Engineering - Warp Core7.jpg
Size:	725.2 KB
ID:	85645  

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D Main Engineering - Warp Core8.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	646.4 KB
ID:	85646  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D Main Engineering - Warp Core9.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	85647  
Old 1st May 2019, 09:25 AM   #110
trekki
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D

Very good start for the engine room.
Nice !
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2019, 02:57 AM   #111
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

It's your project and you do what you want, good for some interior shots. Really like the engineering section so far, its also one of the more interesting parts of the ship.
Old 3rd May 2019, 03:15 AM   #112
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

Great job on main engineering
Old 15th Jun 2019, 07:17 PM   #113
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

Default The Warp Core

Ladies and gents, I present to you... The warp core!

Delighted with this one I must say!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FND3D -- Warp Core - 1996.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	85724  
Old 17th Jun 2019, 05:05 PM   #114
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

Talking The Warp Core

So the Enterprise-D warp core!

The main reason I recreated only a part of the set of Main Engineering was because I wanted to score the approximate proportions of the warp core relative to the three (well 2 and a bit) deck set that was built for it. Once all that fit together and looked okay (by my eye) I took what I knew of the mythos, which taught me that the warp core stands twelve decks high and set to modelling a twelve deck stack of rooms to accommodate a "new" warp core that's twelve decks tall.

Each of the rooms in this stack are largely variations on a theme, based heavily on what we saw of the set for Main Engineering. The Rick Sternbach blueprints also had a say at informing some aspects of the floor plan/s, albeit subtly. I think I managed to swing it so that none of these rooms are a carbon copy of another, indeed I thought it would be cool to take some liberties with the rooms on decks 40 and 41 and put in some glass walls (I mean transparent aluminium!) so that from the outside you could eyeball a full three decks of warp core and from the inside you can look out at... the next sizeable idea I had for this thing!

According to Sternbach the floor space around the warp core on deck 30 is a little bigger than the rest so I added a couple of work stations and filled in those displays with graphics made using material lifted from the Enterprise-D tech manual. They were fun! - Time consuming, but fun!

My inner nerd is kinda enamoured by this piece of science fiction hardware. I have always been curious as to what an "infinity" shot up the length of the warp core would look like. - I now have my answer (and so do you!).

The Warp Core chapter began as its own self-contained mission but it has actually expanded into something that is both unexpected and, well nuts actually, in many ways!

Looking forward to showing more; the only thing in my way is render times.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D - Warp Core (at 64-Percent).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	6.77 MB
ID:	85726  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D - Warp Core1 (at 64-Percent).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	6.89 MB
ID:	85727  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D - Warp Core2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	85728  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D - Warp Core3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	796.4 KB
ID:	85729  

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D - Deck 30 - Work Station 1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	598.3 KB
ID:	85730  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D - Deck 30 - Work Station 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	598.9 KB
ID:	85731  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Enterprise-D - Deck 32 - Isolation Door.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	797.6 KB
ID:	85732  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 07:01 AM   #115
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Most impressive.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 12:34 PM   #116
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery

Default Antimatter Storage Pod Facility

Cheers Rigel!

The idea behind this Nik-Nak exercise was to give this Enterprise-D model a warp core and an ejection hatch but it evolved into a column of 12 decks and from there it rapidly snowballed into the inclusion of decks 40 through 42; a large room containing everything on the ship related to antimatter storage, production and ejection.

Again, referencing the Rick Sternbach blueprints you learn that from floor to ceiling this facility is up to three decks high and runs pretty much the length of deck 42; so quite a bit of volume to play with in there. The blueprints also indicate that decks 40 and 41 house no less than 56 antimatter pods in total, so I thought it would be cool to be able to see all that.
The Next Gen. Tech Manual introduced us to the emergency procedure which allows not only the ejection of the warp core but also the ship's entire supply of antimatter and underlines that with a neat illustration. I'm not convinced however that Sternbach had this illustration in mind when he authored the relevant deck plans for the blueprints. In locating the storage pods themselves, I think that the Sternbach blueprints have provided us with both the fullest and tidiest solution however their layout does absolutely nothing to aid in the design of a slick emergency release system. The Next Gen. Tech Manual is the opposite, implying a much more straightforward emergency release procedure but it fails to divulge to the reader how so many storage pods (and it stands in conflict with the blueprints reporting a total pod count of 30 whereas the blueprints show 56) are stowed in a vertical stack inside the confines of a mere three decks, nor does it elaborate on the means by which they're suspended above that hatch. - It could be that when the tech manual was written, it was intended for antimatter pods to be significantly smaller than what the blueprints now indicate.

So I had to "invent" a compromise between the two: An admittedly convoluted trackable carriage system that detaches pods from the rest of the inventory, transits them to a position directly above the larger ejection hatch whereby they are let go, allowing gravity to handle the rest. - That's right, the system ditches all the antimatter pods four at a time; a pace that you'd hardly call brisk in the face of an imminent catastrophic emergency, but what can you do?
What the system really needs to be effective is for every individual pod to be positioned close to the skin of the ship (like the escape pods) and ejected in exactly the same manner as escape pods.

Other challenges?
Deck 42 sits on the rounded underbelly of the secondary hull. Basically I wanted the floor to be flat obviously but this deck comes with an inconvenient rule: The greater the surface area of that floor, the less room height I'm able to have, so I had to try and identify a happy balance between the two dimensions. Regardless of floor space, I needed the antimatter injector to be pretty close to the skin of the hull anyway so it made sense to claw back some room volume and provide that part of the core with a pit to sit in.

Another question unanswered (the answer clearly relies on magic to gapfill at this time!) was regarding how the antimatter is actually fed to the antimatter injector. You have the antimatter pods up on their shelf so to speak and the antimatter injector in the centre of the room with zero hardware in-between and no guidance in any Trek publication (at this time) to highlight how one system is connected to the other. The gaps that I have filled demonstrate that antimatter pods can be daisy chained together like AA batteries. The "positive terminal" of the forward most pods are hooked up to retractable antimatter transfer conduits that lead straight to the local fuel manifolds at the forward end of the facility. Those fuel manifolds disappear into the floor where some elaborate plumbing takes place (err... more gap fill needed). A pair of fuel lines emerge out of the floor of deck 42 and directly into a computer control system that manages the flow of antimatter into the antimatter injector. The fuel feed lines from those control systems to the antimatter injector are retractable to clear the path of the warp core should a core ejection sequence be attempted.

And what about that warp core? - My warp core is essentially floating, held in position by nothing but the connecting surfaces of the power transfer conduits in Main Engineering, the ceiling of deck 30 kissing the top face of the matter injector and a quartet of slender antimatter fuel feed lines underneath the antimatter injector on deck 42. What's really needed is a series of mechanical fixtures holding the core in place every other deck or so... Unfortunately that would almost certainly kill those "infinity" shots! - I suspect that there is some gravity field manipulation at play here ; a bit of a high risk design during say a power outage!

From a more real world, modeller point of view, I present to you a polycount... For just this chapter of the project!: How does >639400! sound? - It appears that I just sort of lost my mind at some point and was chucking love all over the place on this thing. There was also a lot of repetitive geometry at play here that had a tendency to crank up the count at a rapid rate. Significant culprits are the antimatter pods themselves. One antimatter pod: 4700 polys; 56 antimatter pods: 263200 polys; add the carriages which cost 6100 polys a piece and consider that there are 14 of those: That's 348600 polys just on the antimatter pods + carriages.
The stack of decks around the warp core is a shade below 110000 polys.
The warp core itself is 112000 polys (already reduced).
I just didn't want this thing to look crap!

So I have a little more work to do before install.

On to the install!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FND3D -- Antimatter Pod Facility.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	879.1 KB
ID:	85736  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Antimatter Pod Facility1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	780.5 KB
ID:	85737  Click image for larger version

Name:	FND3D -- Antimatter Pod Facility2.jpg