Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 12th Sep 2016, 05:15 PM   #31
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Illustrator Photoshop After Effects

Default Update

I got a few things done and a few things started...

As mentioned before I went back and re-worked the sundial / dedication plaque. It's no longer a sundial per se; it is an astrolabe, which I thought a bit more appropriate. The design of the pedestal is more in line with TMP.

With that final change, I believe I am finished with the botanical gardens. Knowing myself, I will probably be tweaking the textures throughout the whole process... but I do that with everything. I still need to texture the walls, but that can wait.

Next up I had an idea for the Personnel Hatches on the saucer. The red line and text is based on Mr. Scott's Guide, but I thought I'd try to see what it would look like to have some sort of mechanism visible. I know that the designers of the refit originally wanted to keep any sort of greebles to a minimum and so I am going against that. But here you go. I'm not sure myself which way to go...

Lastly, I started on the officers' lounge - or VIP lounge if you prefer. This is really rough at the moment. Again, the design is based on Mr. Scott's Guide with a few variations by myself; however, the base model is a soon-to-be heavily edited version of the great interior package available here at F3D by David Gian-Cursio.

It's funny. When I started this project, it was to incorporate small detailed graphic elements on the outer surface of the model. But realizing that in order to do that well, I needed to put more detail into the entire thing has led me down this strange path of hull panels, interior details, etc.; and that adding in those graphic details to the hull will probably end up being one of the very last things I do to this. But no worries. I'm having fun. And that's what it's all about.
lightborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2016, 07:31 PM   #32
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightborne View Post
Lastly, I started on the officers' lounge - or VIP lounge if you prefer. This is really rough at the moment. Again, the design is based on Mr. Scott's Guide with a few variations by myself; however, the base model is a soon-to-be heavily edited version of the great interior package available here at F3D by David Gian-Cursio.
Which is itself based on the version Dennis Bailey originally included with his model, though I can't for the life of me remember what specifically survived aside from the furniture and the plants. I want to say that some of his walls made it through? Probably part of the ceiling?
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2016, 04:39 PM   #33
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Default Update

I got the officers' lounge to a point where I like it. I threw in a bunch of little easter eggs and nods to the original series. In the little snack/bar area off to the side, I modeled the integrated table and chairs set from Kirk's quarters as seen in TMP. There's also a food replicator unit in there. And the old style tulip chairs from TOS make an appearance off to the other side. I had messed around with the idea of putting some Koi fish in the little pool, but then I thought that would be a bit too much. I dunno... Maybe later. Anyway, here are some renders:

I also realized that I will probably at some point have to up my scene scale. Octane is a physical based render engine and I think my objects are just way to small to get the lighting just the way I want it. Anyway, that's for another time. I think the next thing I tackle will be some details to the outer hull panelling. I've been putting it off because it'll be really time consuming... Still having fun though...
Old 13th Sep 2016, 08:31 PM   #34
Professor Moriarty
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Photoshop After Effects Premiere

You're mad as a hatter. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Love the shuttle photo in the ossifer's lounge... LOL!
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 07:23 PM   #35
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Default Update

I've nearly completed Deck 2, which according to my internets plans, consists of the Combat Information Center (CIC). I'm posting a few renders of control consoles as well as a software preview of the entire layout. I just noticed; however, that there are some additional elements I'd like to include. So consider this a work in progress... but nearly there.

Old 22nd Sep 2016, 09:22 PM   #36
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery

Well, I'm clearly going to have to step it up for my next batch of window boxes.

The saucer rim windows are going to be a real beast. The ship gets real cramped in that area, and the Rec Deck in TMP (the only part we saw on screen) just made the whole thing much larger than the scale of the rest of the model would imply. I ended up making everything 75% of its normal height on the assumption that the windows were small enough that no one would ever notice.

I figured if I ever did a "meant-to-be-seen-from-the-inside" movie-era Enterprise, I'd just not worry about reconciling the interior and exterior and scale the middle decks of the saucer to match the rec deck set. Make everything nice and roomy.
Old 23rd Sep 2016, 06:54 AM   #37
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cgc View Post
Well, I'm clearly going to have to step it up for my next batch of window boxes.

The saucer rim windows are going to be a real beast. The ship gets real cramped in that area, and the Rec Deck in TMP (the only part we saw on screen) just made the whole thing much larger than the scale of the rest of the model would imply. I ended up making everything 75% of its normal height on the assumption that the windows were small enough that no one would ever notice.

I figured if I ever did a "meant-to-be-seen-from-the-inside" movie-era Enterprise, I'd just not worry about reconciling the interior and exterior and scale the middle decks of the saucer to match the rec deck set. Make everything nice and roomy.
I think you did a great job! As you can probably tell, I am using your window boxes as a guide and attempting to fit them into my model. I'm using the actual exterior hull of my model to create the inner-outer walls (if that makes sense). The thing I wanted to add to Deck 2 is the computer core. I noticed on the deck plans that there was some form of opening that would reveal the computer core on that deck. I'm using some artistic license and making that opening a pair of sliding glass doors. I'll have a few renders later and I'd love to hear what you think of that.

My idea is to model out whatever you can see from the windows until you hit a wall or a door or whatever. So some things will be more elaborate and some things will be very simple.
Old 23rd Sep 2016, 09:46 AM   #38
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Beautiful work on everything, especially that park.

In the closer render of the park, the specularity on the vegetation makes some of the plants look like plastic, but the park overall is beautiful.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2016, 02:16 PM   #39
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Default Update

Here are some renders of Deck 2. Sorry about the noise on the renders, but I have scaled up my project and I'm still having some difficulties with adapting the lights. Anyway, I think it's about were I want it to be. Next, I'll take a break from interiors for a bit - maybe not, who knows - and work on some exterior detailing...

Old 26th Sep 2016, 06:46 AM   #40
ST-One
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave TrueSpace

Really great work in this thread.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 08:42 AM   #41
trekki
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D

Wow !!!
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 06:30 AM   #42
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Default Update

I've been pretty busy at work so there's not much to show, but I did mange to fine some time this weekend to work on the Recreation Deck. I've used Mr. Scott's Guide as a starting point - trying to fit everything into that little space. I think it's nearly there. Haven't started texturing yet, but I rendered out a few preview shots...

I've also started working on the docking ports. This is still very very rough. Lots of tweaking to do and of course, but you'll get the idea.

Old 11th Oct 2016, 06:11 PM   #43
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Default Update

I've nearly completed texturing the Recreation Deck. There are probably a few things to tweak... I think I'm going to re-work the screens on the food processing units and I really need to work on the textures for the furniture a bit more. But it's good enough to move on to something else...

The gymnasium, according to my research, is on the opposite side of the saucer. This still needs a lot of work, but below are some in progress renders.

Old 11th Oct 2016, 06:32 PM   #44
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery

I'm interested in what sort of compromises you made to fit so much Rec Deck into the saucer. I can see you made it wider in relation to the windows, and a bit shorter, but I'm still surprised by how deep it goes into the saucer, and that you had any room for that funky tapering ceiling.

My thought for the upper level of the gym was that that open floor was ringed by a running track. It'd a bit cramped for it, but I'd seen something similar before. My university's gym had an indoor track on the second floor where the center was open. It might've been meant to that the track could be used for spectator space when games were going on in the courts on the ground floor, but I never saw that happen.
Old 12th Oct 2016, 08:56 AM   #45
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Those interiors are superb. Keep up the good work.
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2016, 09:07 AM   #46
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
I'm interested in what sort of compromises you made to fit so much Rec Deck into the saucer. I can see you made it wider in relation to the windows, and a bit shorter, but I'm still surprised by how deep it goes into the saucer, and that you had any room for that funky tapering ceiling.

My thought for the upper level of the gym was that that open floor was ringed by a running track. It'd a bit cramped for it, but I'd seen something similar before. My university's gym had an indoor track on the second floor where the center was open. It might've been meant to that the track could be used for spectator space when games were going on in the courts on the ground floor, but I never saw that happen.
The Recreation Deck fits in very nicely into the saucer. I based the model on a mix of your window boxes and the floor plan from Mr. Scott's. As far as compromises go, I did have to lower the ceiling a bit. As a result, I needed to adjust the sizes turbolifts and the alcove; but I was careful to make sure that it "looked right" even if it wasn't actually physically right. But making it a bit wider and adding depth wasn't really a problem... there's plenty of room inside the saucer as you can see in the renders below.

Basically I've been using a section of corridor and a human figure to gauge the overall size of a room and how it would fit into the actual structure. At first, I was making sure everything was of the correct measurements, but I eventually just started eyeballing everything based on the relationship to size of the corridor and the human figure. I've completed three or four interiors so far and using this method seems to be working.

The tapered ceiling that connects the saucer wall to the Recreation Deck ceiling was foreshortened quite a bit in order to fit. But I remembered hearing the filmmakers using forced perspective in the engine room and so I thought it wouldn't be out of the question to use a similar cheat to be able to fit the tapered ceiling in.

Regarding the gymnasium, I agree with you about the upper level track. I'm also planning on making the entire section a bit wider.
Old 18th Oct 2016, 11:08 AM   #47
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Default Update

More interiors are the main course in this update. Specifically, I've started on the the outer ring of Deck 6, which includes meeting rooms, the theater/chapel and dining halls. I've been enjoying doing these rooms because they've really never been seen on film. So I'm adapting my deck plans and blueprint sources by adding bits and pieces of my own design here and there. I'm still tweaking the ceilings, walls and details and such - I still don't have them exactly the way I'd like them - but for the most part these are completed.

The briefing rooms are loosely based on existing designs from deck plans and Mr. Scott's Guide. The room in the middle on my deck plans say that it is unused and so it was pretty much empty. I didn't like that, so I put in a sort of ancillary control room type of thingy.

The dining halls were very simple according to my plans. I have fallen in love with the modular table and chair set from Kirk's quarters and so I've populated the dining halls with them. I've also put some artwork up on the walls. They are concept illustrations from Phase II by Mike Minor; various matte paintings from TOS; and concept illustrations from TMP by Robert McCall.

Last up is the theater/chapel. I've been going back and forth as to what kind of theater this is exactly... when it's not being used as a chapel. Do they do live performances in there? Is it a movie theater? So I decided it is all of the above. So I put in sound barriers on the walls and a stage as well as a screen. The adjoining room is supposed to be a sort of workshop for the theater/chapel and so it is populated by a long workspace and lots of storage compartments.

I've started working on signage and labels and markings for the outer hull. THIS was the reason I started this project in the first place. No where near done with those yet, but work has begun. As it is right now, my model is about 1.3GB. I know it'll come down once I start optimizing things, but probably not by much, so I think if I end up making this available for download, I'll probably have to split it up into components. But that's still quite a ways off.
Old 18th Oct 2016, 05:45 PM   #48
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery

There should be a Table of Comets in that pile of books for Spock to ignore.

I'm really digging that Mr. Scott's Guide Food Slot. I don't think I've seen it modeled before.

I assumed the theater was a live performance space (we saw one in TOS in "The Conscience of the King" that seemed to be a purpose-built (and much larger than the chapel from "Balance of Terror." IIRC, the theatre was the engineering set, and the chapel was the briefing room. It does make sense for them to be the same space.
Old 19th Oct 2016, 07:01 AM   #49
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
There should be a Table of Comets in that pile of books for Spock to ignore.

I'm really digging that Mr. Scott's Guide Food Slot. I don't think I've seen it modeled before.

I assumed the theater was a live performance space (we saw one in TOS in "The Conscience of the King" that seemed to be a purpose-built (and much larger than the chapel from "Balance of Terror." IIRC, the theatre was the engineering set, and the chapel was the briefing room. It does make sense for them to be the same space.
Thanks for the comments! I really enjoyed making the food processors. I need to tweak the overall scale of those. I think they look a little small to me.

Just for sanity's sake, I've been building these elements separately and then I bring them into my main Enterprise model. As a result, I think some sizes got screwy. I'm trying to keep everything at the same scale as best I can, but sometimes what looks big in one room looks small in another. After everything is built I plan on going in and making sure everything is to scale.

In fact there's a lot of tweaking that needs to be done once everything is built, but I'm the kind of person who likes to get something about 80% done and then move on to something else. If I don't do that, I end up getting bored and won't finish anything. So there's a lot of tedious, technical work that'll need to be done once all the modeling is complete. But I think it's coming along nicely. Slowly, but nicely.
Old 1st Nov 2016, 02:23 PM   #50
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Default Update

I've been away from the office for the past week and a half which means two things: I've had a loot of time to continue modeling the various interiors for the Enterprise; and I don't have access to my beloved Octane Render. So any images posted today will be simple, one-color renders with a little bit of AO included and no textures.

First up are the meeting rooms on Deck 6. This also completes the interiors for Deck 6. These interiors are about 70% complete and I intend to add some things here and there once I get into texturing. I find that I normally do about 75% of the modeling, then move into texturing and, during that process, I tend to add little extra bits and stuff to make the whole model "come together. " That process is especially present when I'm working in Octane - with its real time response making it very easy and quick to finalize a look for something.

My reference materials say the outer section of Deck 7 is ringed with corridors. So... May I present a ring of corridors!

The visible interiors of Decks 8 and 9 of the saucer consist of the phaser rooms and lower observation rooms. I thought it would be cool to put in a backup weapons console (as seen on the bridge) in these rooms. There is also a freestanding computer control unit that appears in the engineering section of the Enterprise. This unit in real life has been reused many times over in the other films and in TNG and DS9 as random machinery. I thought I would use that in the phaser room as a nod to that usage and - since it originally came from engineering - to communicate that the new phasers are tied into the warp engines. The observation rooms are part of a circle of corridors and are slightly elevated with a railing viewing windows that are pretty much in the floor.

And with that, we are done with the saucer section interiors. On to the neck section. I decided to model the entire neck section in one go. I did this mostly because there are quite a few elements that traverse the entire neck section and it was relatively simple. My references contradicted themselves on these sections quite a bit and so I found myself leaving somethings out of some rooms and putting things in to other rooms - basically incorporating elements from all of my references in order to make something that I thought looked cool.

I do want to go back in and figure out some ceiling and wall bracing for this section... and probably for the all the interiors as well. I like the look of all the interiors so far, but I think they are missing something that really communicates "starship interior" rather than just "room." So more interior ceiling and wall explorations are needed. Anyone have any thoughts on that just let me know.

That's all for now. More later...
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 02:10 AM   #51
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

Looking great mate. How many polys now then.Looks like you could almost walk around indeed it now in VR
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2016, 06:05 PM   #52
CrippledPidgeon
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

Quote:

I do want to go back in and figure out some ceiling and wall bracing for this section... and probably for the all the interiors as well. I like the look of all the interiors so far, but I think they are missing something that really communicates "starship interior" rather than just "room." So more interior ceiling and wall explorations are needed. Anyone have any thoughts on that just let me know.

That's all for now. More later...
I know that it's in the references, but it seems so strange to me that the photon torpedo magazine is so close to the warp core. It also seems dangerous for the launcher tubes to straddle the core as well.
CrippledPidgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2016, 12:31 PM   #53
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledPidgeon View Post
I know that it's in the references, but it seems so strange to me that the photon torpedo magazine is so close to the warp core. It also seems dangerous for the launcher tubes to straddle the core as well.
I would agree, but then I read in Mr. Scott's Guide that the torpedoes aren't armed and/or loaded with a warhead until they reach the lower level and fed into the tubes. Now that doesn't clear up the fact that the tubes straddle the warp core but at least it takes some of that into consideration. i know we are Clark Kenting to a degree here, but I - probably like you - appreciate when things are somewhat thought out like that.
Old 5th Nov 2016, 06:48 AM   #54
Bernard Guignard
Registered Member
 Gallery
Gimp

Great work looking forward this progress
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2016, 08:23 PM   #55
CrippledPidgeon
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
I would agree, but then I read in Mr. Scott's Guide that the torpedoes aren't armed and/or loaded with a warhead until they reach the lower level and fed into the tubes. Now that doesn't clear up the fact that the tubes straddle the warp core but at least it takes some of that into consideration. i know we are Clark Kenting to a degree here, but I - probably like you - appreciate when things are somewhat thought out like that.
Well we know that warheads use antimatter, so that would definitely have to be loaded before being put into the tubes, but would be impractical to keep stored in the torpedoes, because then the containment fields would have to constantly be on to avoid an unexpected saucer separation. That being said, having warhead loading stations so close to the core doesn't seem like a great idea either.
CrippledPidgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2016, 03:09 PM   #56
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Default Update

It's been a month since I've updated this... that's the trouble with doing a "side project;" it's the first thing that goes away when you get busy with real life. Anyway, lots of progress to report - I'll probably put several updates out over the next couple of days. I've finished modeling all of the interiors! Still have a quite a bit of texturing to do on the cargo bay / shuttle bay, which was the last interior to do. That was a bit of a struggle to get that to fit along with the other interiors in the secondary hull. But it's all good.

I wasn't going to model the shuttle bay at all. My plan was to model only what one can see from the windows. But there's a string of windows near the ass end of the secondary hull on Deck 16. From those windows you can see into a corridor that runs along the length of the hull - but near the rear of the hull, it opens onto an observation deck that looks out over the shuttle bay. So I thought, "Crap. I have to model the shuttle bay." It actually didn't take me as long as I thought - mostly because it's so damned modular. There are really only a handful of elements that needed to be made - then it was copy and paste for a few days.

All that to say and I don't have any renders of the shuttle bay yet. Hopefully, by next week I'll have a few to show... In the meantime, here are some interiors from the secondary hull.

As I've mentioned before, the things I am having fun with the most are the things that haven't been seen on screen. So I can make them however I want them to look like... within reason of course. An example of this is the emergency transporter room on Deck 20. Lots of fun with this one.

Most of the interiors in the secondary hull are pretty much a mashup of corridors, Jefferies Tubes and lounges.

I did get to make up a damage control room which turned out pretty cool...

.. and one of the cargo transporters that sit on either side of the cargo deck.

So that's it for now. I still have a few more interiors to post, but that can wait. Till then...
Old 10th Dec 2016, 03:35 PM   #57
DaveK
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop Premiere

These a great!
Old 11th Dec 2016, 12:48 AM   #58
trekki
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D

Oh yes, its great!
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2016, 04:34 AM   #59
Bernard Guignard
Registered Member
 Gallery
Gimp

great work
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2016, 04:55 PM   #60
lightborne
Premiere Member

Gallery

Default Update

OMD! I'M FINISHED WITH THE INTERIORS! I can't believe I'm done with the interiors! I also can't believe I typed "OMG!" I'm a dork.

Anyway, I'm going to caveat this all to hell and back, but I finished the last interior today. These are all about 95% completed - there's still graphics and signage to be added and textures tweaked, etc., etc. So, here's the shuttle bay / cargo bay:

Next comes all the exterior goodies. I need to develop a plan on doing this because there's going to be literally hundreds of little graphics and signs and bits. I will use the images of the studio model as a guide and then figure out what I need to make and where to put everything. But it's all very exciting to be at this final creative step. Of course, then there's all the clean up, labeling materials, optimizing meshes, etc., but that'll come much later.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress