Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 16th May 2018, 01:51 PM   #1
hiddenevil
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Default Lightwave 9

Hey everyone

I recently saw a boxed copy of LW9 going on ebay for a pretty affordable price, however the listing did specify that it was minus a dongle.

I wondered what others thought about buying secondhand copies? I cant really afford to buy the latest and greatest, so I have to wait until i see something that fits within my budget.
hiddenevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

If it doesn't have the dongle, you won't be able to use a lot of the features and all images will be watermarked. If you do find a version with the dongle, I believe the seller and you will have to arrange a license transfer through Newtek.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 06:52 PM   #3
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

Yeah, if there's no dongle for a version that old (before they transitioned away from them) you're basically paying for a demo of the program and a hardcopy of the manual. You could get that for the current version for free.

I don't like to say mean things when I don't know the facts, but selling the materials of a copy of LW without the actual dongle sounds like the next thing over to a scam.
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2018, 02:27 AM   #4
hiddenevil
Registered Member
 Gallery

I know what you mean, it's a pity Newtek don't offer a license for none commercial purposes. Not every artist is out to make money off they're work. Least that's true of me, this has been a hobby passion of mine since I was 12, using LW on an Amiga.

At the moment I'm using an educational version lightwave 8, which I'm more than happy with it. Just seeing a legit boxed copy of nine, really grabbed my attention. I did wonder how legit it was. But it looked the real deal, box, manuals, barcodes.
Old 17th May 2018, 08:08 AM   #5
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenevil View Post
I know what you mean, it's a pity Newtek don't offer a license for none commercial purposes. Not every artist is out to make money off they're work. Least that's true of me, this has been a hobby passion of mine since I was 12, using LW on an Amiga.

At the moment I'm using an educational version lightwave 8, which I'm more than happy with it. Just seeing a legit boxed copy of nine, really grabbed my attention. I did wonder how legit it was. But it looked the real deal, box, manuals, barcodes.
Oh it's probably legit. But without the dongle it's useless. Sadly, someone who doesn't know that is going to get ripped off.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 18th May 2018, 03:44 AM   #6
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

These days, where reputation is everything and people get stuck with one app for a long time (how many of us won't give up LW even with the abuse?? ), I'm surprised that the earlier versions, like 9 downwards aren't offered for free for at least a non-commercial license. LW6 should be free, no questions asked as a historical thing.

In fact, I think LW2018 should be offered for free for a non-commercial license, but that's me. I don't see why LW9 shoudn't be.

Newtek should treat it like a gateway drug - get them hooked on LW9 for free, and people will transfer to a paid license at their place of work when they rave about LW and the features, and then LW will grow, via reputation and people actually using it.
Old 18th May 2018, 08:02 AM   #7
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Oddly enough, Crook, they kind of did that with me. I bought v8 as a student license. I then upgraded to 9 for a token fee. One day, version 10 showed up in a box on my doorstep, along with an awesome Lightwave Core t-shirt, totally free.

I've enjoyed v 10.1 so much I would upgrade to 2018 if I had the money. So yes, the "drug lord school of marketing" (as I call it) is a valid strategy.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 18th May 2018, 03:00 PM   #8
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

I've a boxed copy of LW 10.1 with the dongle no longer used, but I've no idea how much it'd be worth
Old 22nd May 2018, 07:33 AM   #9
hiddenevil
Registered Member
 Gallery

I'd most certainly be interest. Send me a pm :-)
Old 24th May 2018, 08:56 AM   #10
HawkHart
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave Terragen Paint Shop Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
These days, where reputation is everything and people get stuck with one app for a long time (how many of us won't give up LW even with the abuse?? ), I'm surprised that the earlier versions, like 9 downwards aren't offered for free for at least a non-commercial license. LW6 should be free, no questions asked as a historical thing.

In fact, I think LW2018 should be offered for free for a non-commercial license, but that's me. I don't see why LW9 shoudn't be.

Newtek should treat it like a gateway drug - get them hooked on LW9 for free, and people will transfer to a paid license at their place of work when they rave about LW and the features, and then LW will grow, via reputation and people actually using it.

LW 6 is what I create all my models in (I do like the big box it came in). I am behind the times somewhat
HawkHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 03:41 AM   #11
hiddenevil
Registered Member
 Gallery

I was using 7.5 for a long while, until I nabbed myself a boxed copy of LW8. It's a great bit of software. I only wish newtek offered different types of licenses, reflective of the users. Professional, academic, hobbyist. Just my opinion, but I reckon they'd turn a profit and it would certainly give an incentive to prospective new users. But that's just my opinion and as we all know, opinions are like elbows, we all got them :-P

Nothing wrong with LW 6! :-)
Old 28th May 2018, 08:51 AM   #12
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery

PM's sent to interested parties. I'll keep you updated. Have to go dig it out of a box in the loft
Old 28th May 2018, 09:49 AM   #13
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery

Sorry guys, thought I could sell but here's the response from Newtek :-

"Sorry - it's not possible. The upgrade chain would be broken.

Your 2015 is an upgrade from that 10. That 10 needs to stay registered to you for you to keep the 2015.

Thank you for your report.
--
LightWave 3D Group Support"

Looks like I'd need to upgrade 2015 to 2018, and that's not happening.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe