Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 10th Jan 2017, 02:44 PM   #1
Sastrei
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Question BSG (2003) Mystery Ships

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on the ships in the attached image (in terms of modeler, origin, more renders, etc). These are all background ships from the Battlestar series. These are the best images I've managed to obtain of them so far.

#10 shows up in both Firefly and BSG, so it's a Zoic asset.

#11 has been identified by Mojo as being called the "Smuggler's Ship" behind the scenes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XbHDbEu.png
Views:	94
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	83237  
Sastrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2017, 05:30 PM   #2
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

I'm not sure about any of those, but I had seen other catalogs a long time ago that pointed out several background ships, especially from the Zoic days, were from other Sci-Fi properties and video games. Some of that may have been just because they were so small and blurry (I think your #6 was pegged as a Star Wars blockade runner because of the engines). I don't remember the game, but I remember one appeared pretty prominently in the finale... here it is, the on that isn't the mining ship or the ring ship. Command and Conquer, was that it? Did Command and Conquer have spaceships?

Given how rough most of those are, I'd bet a fair amount were recycled Firefly ships. Of course, some of the Firefly background ships were recycled Star Trek ships, so it may go even deeper than that.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 11:33 PM   #3
CrippledPidgeon
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cgc View Post
I'm not sure about any of those, but I had seen other catalogs a long time ago that pointed out several background ships, especially from the Zoic days, were from other Sci-Fi properties and video games. Some of that may have been just because they were so small and blurry (I think your #6 was pegged as a Star Wars blockade runner because of the engines). I don't remember the game, but I remember one appeared pretty prominently in the finale... here it is, the on that isn't the mining ship or the ring ship. Command and Conquer, was that it? Did Command and Conquer have spaceships?

Given how rough most of those are, I'd bet a fair amount were recycled Firefly ships. Of course, some of the Firefly background ships were recycled Star Trek ships, so it may go even deeper than that.
#6 could be based on the blockade runner, but it doesn't have enough engines. I wonder how many background assets were kitbashed from publicly available models.
CrippledPidgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 06:53 AM   #4
Sastrei
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cgc View Post
Command and Conquer, was that it? Did Command and Conquer have spaceships?
Yup! That's Kodiak, from CnC: Tiberian Sun. It appears as far back as Lay Down Your Burdens, where it's one of the casualties in the Cloud 9 explosion.

Quote:
I'll definitely do another round of digging through Ex Astris Scientia, to see if there's any more Star Trek ships, though I don't recognize any of them off-hand. I know the five-engined ship was long rumoured to be a retooled Hirogen ship, but other than some general design cues it does not seem to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledPidgeon View Post
#6 could be based on the blockade runner, but it doesn't have enough engines. I wonder how many background assets were kitbashed from publicly available models.
Yeah it definitely has an RBR vibe from the back, but the front (it has little cheek wing chines!) and cargo containers on the side are radically different. Interestingly, I've even found two ships whose creators did not know their ships had made it into the show, despite one of them being associated with the production as a model designer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5USU7JD.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	83240  Click image for larger version

Name:	0tr6IA7.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	936.5 KB
ID:	83241  
Old 15th Feb 2017, 10:27 PM   #5
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

I know they used Serenity in the pilot during the dr.s office scene one of the ships I. Your image looks like a blockade runner from Star Wars.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2017, 10:38 PM   #6
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

I was in that building that you see Serenity from in the shot above this past weekend. Didn't know it was that location until I got there and recognised it.

http://imgur.com/RixGZ
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Having worked on Firefly Online I can tell you that a lot of the background ships in Firefly were:
1) recycled from Start Trek
2) kit-bashed specifically for Firelfy
3) recycled and re-kit-bashed for use in Battlestar Galactica

So identifying some of them may not be possible.

Some that were built specifically for Firefly ended up getting re-purposed for other shows and movies as well. Some of them we only ever used in firefly and were such distant shots that their detail was totally overlooked. Like the derelict from the pilot episode of Firefly.

This can happen a lot in the industry, especially on television show budgets.
Sometimes they just need a ship and any available ship will do.
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 12:17 PM   #8
Sastrei
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Meurig - I hope you did not receive as dire of news as Laura did while she was there!

Treybor - Thanks for the tips! I did see that the SS Walden from Out of Gas made it into the fleet that the Pegasus encounters in BSG. Thanks for making orthos of your model!

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe