Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 10th Dec 2015, 07:51 PM   #841
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

It'd be an expensive effect for the result, but I'm wondering about putting a translucent cover over the impulse nozzles with the classic grill to split the difference between the current and traditional looks. Something sort of like Gabe Koerner's warp engine design.
Old 10th Dec 2015, 08:01 PM   #842
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

In all great traditions, I pinched bits off other models. namely the deflector off the G and some lifeboats from the Linerunner. NOW keep in mind these are off other models and will need retexturing (mostly the linerunner bits) to match up tot he existing hull surfacing and glow bits etc. The lifeboats are in a rough out mode as the original did not have them on, actually I think none of the later sto ships have em. I figure this thing wont need large counts of the things so maybe some on the leading edge of the saucer thing in addition to what I have now should do. I am still not sure how I will dress them though. Be they cut into a recess or some other "trimming" One thing I do hate about them is they really interfere with internal planning as you need to consider rooms windows to those rooms and hallways. Then all the other crap piercing the hull like phasers and sensors.

Old 11th Dec 2015, 05:03 AM   #843
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Issue with using and adapting old textures and materials to new methods is you often gaff some place. . . . . lol anyhow found some of the settings I had were contradicting the gloss channels and even now it is still a bit dodgy as this rough surfacing like what I used on the Connie just does not work here I do not think. So I will have to diddle about and see if I can find a new set up or figure out which of the TNGish ones I have done that I actually will accept today. The one that was with this starting file I had just was not up to my wants/demands anymore. (used the old Xshuttle file as a template, probably should have used the reimagined tos stuff or the onimaru, though some of that is already years old lol)

Anyhow updates are mostly the meh doodahs in the central hull. I am still not so sure about having torps near the top of the hull behind that round thing. But trek mantra shields go ship usually goes as the weapons can easily breach anything of a sizeable girth so burying components is a bit moot. Something many forget. Either case it still bothers me some that they are so near the surface as well as a thin area of the hull then add in the fact they are pretty much inline with the nacelles. I dunno how much that would disrupt a field vs it firing offset to the central axis/equatorial. HAH um, also I have no idea what that greeble facing front will be, lounge, windows, some sensor, dealies, vents, whatevers?

Old 11th Dec 2015, 05:09 AM   #844
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cgc View Post
It'd be an expensive effect for the result, but I'm wondering about putting a translucent cover over the impulse nozzles with the classic grill to split the difference between the current and traditional looks. Something sort of like Gabe Koerner's warp engine design.
Odd missed this post, musta posted when I had the thread open for update lol.
I had thought of this but leaned against it as the diffusion effect is really taxing on renders. Good example was my TOS connie those bussards really killed renders. It also wouldnt make much sense to have shaping vanes behind some surface. I have considered putting a diffusion surface just behind the vanes to diffuse the directly visible lum surfaces to blur those and also lock them out of any of the lens filter effects such as glare or other lens based filters. The exposed lum often will cause peaks and non linear results. Anyhow anything in that aft trench is WIP and might all vanish SUDDENLY! lol. ATM I am not all that happy with those sensor boxes flanking the impulse.

Some examples of what I was thinking or attempting other than replicating what Eaves and Dening did for those STO design images. So future work might lean more towards this look where it is a soft glow vs a hard light like how the paintings depict.

Given I plan to give this ship a 80k registry, something on the bleeding edge of TNG makes sense.
I should probably get back to that model and see if I can fix the issues it had lol.
Old 11th Dec 2015, 08:53 AM   #845
3D_CG
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave Terragen ZBrush Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

Location: Spokane Washington, North Side in a quiet neighbor hood, Tell I start My Harley, Then its NOISY...

cool stuff
dang this thread is getting good...

"Remember The Vets who fought for our Freedom" ...
Intel I7 980 OC'D to 5.1 GHZ, Water Cooled, Gigabyte MB
132 gig ram, 5 HD's, TITAN Z Black , GTX 1080,
LightWave 11.6.3, 32 and 64 bit

http://boincstats.com/signature/-1/user/355618/sig.png
3D_CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2015, 04:21 AM   #846
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Mostly faffing about with the impulse bits and that pit. Those sensor boxes flanking the impulse are still bugging me so I might replace them entirely. I also need to redo those flush vents on the strutlets as they some how got tweaked and are not consistent in size from end to end.

Old 13th Dec 2015, 08:44 PM   #847
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Hunchback stuff. Not sure if I will keep it all.

Old 14th Dec 2015, 12:21 AM   #848
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

decided that pit needed a break and faffed about with the nacelles, I think maybe for the worse. lol I was thinking they were a bit too long then I started to mental floss with the arrangement and wanted to see what I could do while they were still in a rough block out condition. I might be considering a replacement for them entirely.

Old 15th Dec 2015, 01:44 AM   #849
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Bridge bits and officers lounge/meeting room. Also a closer in look at the spine details.

Old 15th Dec 2015, 05:03 AM   #850
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Bunch of lumpy bits aft of the bridge. All being roughed in as I decide what to do with that lifted bit in the middle. I am also rethinking that upper room as it just appears a bit to large in glass and dunno kinda iffy. (read; it bothers me a bit)

Old 15th Dec 2015, 10:47 AM   #851
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

I like where you're going with this one. Very cool
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2015, 11:17 PM   #852
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Working int he details so that lower area isn't so blocky. Also yanked off some of the elements too as it was too busy. One regret is some things Id like to make bigger to balance form more so I might start ripping it all up. Mostly it is that central sensor thing would likely look better at 2X the size it is now. I also still am not decided on what will happen with the raised area above all this crap. Oh and more "parts" from other ships and really something I have included I think on most all of my post TNG ships.

Old 16th Dec 2015, 07:42 PM   #853
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Small refinements and other changes. Mostly markings and correcting some shapes. I do think I probably should tune some of these materials so they work with each other more.
Old 25th Dec 2015, 08:21 PM   #854
eagledocf15
Premiere Member
 Gallery
Photoshop

Default Looks good

Looking good!
eagledocf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Dec 2015, 06:48 PM   #855
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Mulling about with ideas on the nacelles. My first thought of making these a more traditional arrangement is not sitting well with the design so I am considering doing something with a cutaway closer to the original design. I am just attempting to avoid the bussard layout on the original as I really dislike that style. Using influence from the Eaves drawings that he did for the early STO concepts. AGAIN only relation this has are concept works I have not played the game and likely never will.

Top is what would have been, as I am considering the bottom image for the replacement and positioning them like they are in the concept drawing, removing the strut structure in the process.
Old 28th Dec 2015, 07:58 PM   #856
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

blocky quickie of the things to see how they fit and what sort of length and scaling I would want. I still have to resort to some mini strut or brace to blend in that one deck to the nacelle.

an arse view is added.

as well as those ministruts I mentioned.
Old 28th Dec 2015, 10:52 PM   #857
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Lots of ugly going on and just way too thick in places but a bit more refined than before. I think the hunch along the top side is going to get flattened out more to offset the main body of the nacelle further up than it is now.

I have also decided I need to clean up the ass end of all those greeble bits in between the hull plates. Just too much crap going on in there.
Old 29th Dec 2015, 04:51 AM   #858
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

More refining

Old 29th Dec 2015, 09:37 PM   #859
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

small break from the nacelles to address the engine pit.

Old 30th Dec 2015, 04:27 PM   #860
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

back to dem nacelles.

Ignore the warp grids and bussard grills as they are reuse materials and not tuned yet. I am still not sure what I want to do with these parts. Too many TOS era ships of late I think
Old 30th Dec 2015, 07:44 PM   #861
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quick update to the surfacing on the glow bits.

Old 31st Dec 2015, 09:47 PM   #862
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Probably the last update of the year Mostly small changes and fooling with the warp guts etc. Cloned them onto the ship to give everyone a look as to how they appear on the ship itself.

Old 23rd May 2016, 08:27 PM   #863
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

AND yet another refresh project. This time it is more of a modeling refresh. Not sure if I commented when I did this the first time but this ship was modeled under pressure as I needed a ship for SOTL 2015? The one with the Daedalus.

Again like the connie baseline renders sort of. . . haha I did fool with it a bit.

Below are just hand picked images I will create a post on the WIP blog with everything for those who want that.

Vents and grates

Some nacelles I found in cleaning up the files layers. I think I dumped these as I wanted it to reflect the post ENT era and align more with that BOP. I am still fenced about this as arguments could be made that the TOS bop was the way it was due to stolen tech so having precursors would be moot or impossible.

Haven't moved much from these last few as my HTPC decided to take the trip to silicon heaven so I have been busy replacing it, building etc.
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:55 PM   #864
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Very, very nice work. Great shades of green, and the geometry is great. I absolutely love the slightly reflective glow that makes the hull plating stand out.
Old 25th May 2016, 12:46 PM   #865
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Between replacing failing pcs, building new ones undorking win8.1 and dealing with failing hdds and what do with a pile of old ones I have not gotten much done. Just some panels and vents and things.

Old 26th May 2016, 04:31 AM   #866
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

These look great.
Old 26th May 2016, 04:31 AM   #867
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I wonder if you could give me some pointers as to how you are posting your images?
Old 26th May 2016, 06:19 PM   #868
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Robb View Post
I wonder if you could give me some pointers as to how you are posting your images?
I am just using wordpress to host content as they are stable and have yet in the 10yrs I have used it gone down. Most image loss goofs are all my own fault.

They support the php (I think) code of ?w=XXX with XXX being the width of your image. BUT this site has anti page widening plugs to scale the images.

There is a h code and crop but I think the h wont distort it anymore IE stretch it. Crop will trim via H or W based where you put it.
so ?w=200&h=400&crop=30

One thing I have yet to figure out is how to create links that force new window or tab as the forum here opens img links inline.

To add the img code I am just using the forums icons to automate the links IE click image button add url, then select it all, add link.

I avoid things like photobucket as it just out links you to tracking ans spam filled sites that just waste peoples BW. I think imgur used to work ok for this but they do deny images randomly as I have had complaints about images appearing broke in the galleries for refs.
Old 26th May 2016, 09:40 PM   #869
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

I'll look in my old html code books to see if there is a way, as for image storage, I use Google Drive. BTW, nice motherboard.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 11:51 PM   #870
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

I think it is php requests or some such crap as it wont work with sites that do not do phop requests.

Example of this string is in the url for newest post link to this thread EG http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...394#post319394 the ?p=319394#post319394

there might not be a solution as it might not be possible. It is like how I wanted to filter out specific groups from RSS feeds. Unless the host has the plugs installed or features enabled your stuck with the basic options they have set up.

Heh the mobo is the new HTPC board a bit pricey but has the fewest complaints about DOA or other issue that the sub 150usd boards had.
here is the irony. . . . .

It is mostly cause I cannot decide on a case and the fact amazon is out of stock on a lot of stuff. An effort to avoid high shipping at newegg or ncix. Then again I could build a wooden TARDIS lol. Still upset I had to put that GPU in there as the intel gfx wouldnt play nice with my crusty tv.

btw the 800d sucks no one buy one unless your into major modding. Even as a all custom loop it is a PITA to vent out.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress