Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 13th Aug 2011, 06:22 PM   #1
torturebori
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Default Lightwave help: photorealistic male tutorial by james busby

tutorial is by Ten24 and is taught by James Busby---(Photorealistic Male)

I am actually following this tutorial for the head projection part only. But it is not working for me as it does for the guy teaching.

Differences between the two.

He's using lightwave 9.6 and FPrime to render and bake.

I am using Lightwave 10, I am using native render and I also have Kray.

The issue that I am having is the baking. His and mine do not have similar outcomes as far as the renderers do the job. See attached images please.

Please note I am only working on a head/face

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	his.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	51154  Click image for larger version

Name:	mine.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	51155  
torturebori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2011, 12:34 AM   #2
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Assuming yours is on the left, the resolution looks really low. Also, are you using a shader that doesn' twork with fprime? dWhat does it look like if you use F9 instead?
Gordon Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2011, 05:55 AM   #3
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

You said that he is using fprime... so his is on the left and yours on the right then. ummm yours looks better than his. The UV's look to be laid out different but that's about it.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2011, 06:14 AM   #4
torturebori
Registered Member
 Gallery

yeah bill mine is on the right...His image is lower rez because I took a screen capture, I know that his uv is different than mine is, but my issue is that now that I have all my textures baked, meaning the front, side and back of the head/face like he does in the tut. Now in the video he goes into combining the bakes, he does this by placing them on the object in layout, he creates and alpha channel fore all three, to make them seamless now when I do that what he does on my end it doesnt work.
Old 14th Aug 2011, 06:29 AM   #5
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Wish I could help but I don't know how he is trying to do it. With the head unwrapped the way you have it I don't know why you would need to go through the extra steps though. I'd just clone/paint the maps on around the head. Your UV's look like they are well laid out for it. Maybe a little relaxing to increase the volume of the face a bit but that's it.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
Old 14th Aug 2011, 10:51 AM   #6
torturebori
Registered Member
 Gallery

I have to apologize. Because I assumed you would just know what I meant. Hope that doesnt sound bad, I dont mean it in a bad way just that I didnt explain my self right. let me try again.

So he has you bake three sides, front, side and back. Each one seperate. Then once you have all those, you create a alpha of the same image. then you bring them in all 6 and map your object, and with the alphas you should not see any seams. then once you have all those, you bake another which now will be all (6) in one bake. if that makes sense.

My uv there is of the front of the head, projecting a image(photo) of my head just the front, So you see how it has like the two extra half sides of my face on the edges, that then wraps around and makes it wrong, like those two half faces should not be there.

do you think I should erase those in photoshop to see if it works?
Old 14th Aug 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
torturebori
Registered Member
 Gallery

Bills, I also saw that you said you would just clone/paint maps around the head.

So to do this it would be in Photoshop? laid them out side by side and clone the image to the uv? will that work since the uv is unwrapped to essentially make a cylinder around the head.?

Believe me guys I am trying, I bought the book Lightwave 7 by dan ablam and I am trying to paint but its a bit trickier than I thought.

I really do appreciate all the replies.
Old 14th Aug 2011, 12:58 PM   #8
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturebori View Post
Bills, I also saw that you said you would just clone/paint maps around the head.

So to do this it would be in Photoshop? laid them out side by side and clone the image to the uv? will that work since the uv is unwrapped to essentially make a cylinder around the head.?

Believe me guys I am trying, I bought the book Lightwave 7 by dan ablam and I am trying to paint but its a bit trickier than I thought.

I really do appreciate all the replies.
yep. If you export your UVs out of LW. I use eps export. Then you just load them into photoshop. Place the face part and deform it so it fits the UV's. Then just use the clone brush on a clean part of skin like the cheek or chest (whatever you have in the photo) and clone it around the side and back of the head. You might be able to do the projection painting in Modo. I know you can in zbrush and I know modo has some painting functionality. I haven't played with it though. Might be worth a check.
Lemming World
Old 14th Aug 2011, 03:36 PM   #9
torturebori
Registered Member
 Gallery

Well Bills, that is working very well...tedious but its working...thanks for all the help and again sorry for the miss communication earlier...

Thanks again

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing