Old 4th Apr 2008, 07:38 PM   #1
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Default April/08 Texture Challenge

And off to challenge #4. Crook decided that I could pick I wandered through the resource area and found this. Modeled by HawkHart. The Uruk_hai from LOTR's

Click image for larger version

Name:	UrikHai.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	7708

Download it HERE....
  1. In the file you will find and main object and a ground plane. You can use the ground or delete it as you see fit.
  2. I'm going to provide the object in .lwo and .obj so that it can be imported into just about any other package out there. If you can't import it then let me know and we'll see what we can do to get you fixed up.
  3. You can NOT texture the ground plane. You can change the color or lower the diffusion on it but thats about it.
  4. The object comes with basic surfaces on it. Use them or make your own as you see fit. You can use any form of texturing that you see fit. UV it or don't. The choice is yours.
  5. The object itself can not be modified, added to or subtracted from. It must remain with the same amount of polygons that it was posted.
  6. At this time displacement is not allowed since not all packages are on an equal footing here. We may revisit this later on.
  7. You can light the scene the way you wish using upto 3 lights. GI and Rad shots are also allowed.
  8. Final renders are to be 800x600. Name them as Username_### (for me it would be BillS_001) and send them in .png format to either billsATrendersworld.com or BillSATfoundation3d.com. You can also send in upto two 400x300 detail shots to show off your texture work. This is totally optional. Name these the same as the main render but put a and b at the end. i.e. BillS_001a.png and BillS_001b.png would be the two detail shots.
  9. If you wish to update your image before the close of the contest then send it to the same email address and increment the ### by one. 001 to 002 etc. Only the last one submitted will be posted at the end of the month.
  10. When you email in your entry, please use the word texture contest in the subject so its easier to spot on my end. I will acknowledge ALL ENTRIES within 24 hours. If you haven't heard from me in that time then post on the forums so that I can go look for it or get you to send it again.
  11. And finally. Please don't use any third party render engines. If it came with your app then its fine. Also, no running it through a post process like photoshop etc. Just render to a png and send it along. Its about the texture work not how pretty of a picture it is.

I think thats it?!

I'll accept entries until the morning of April 27/2008. I'll post the poll that day when I get a chance.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2008, 04:10 PM   #2
JVogel
Registered Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Photoshop

This should be fun!
Old 5th Apr 2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Pendraia
Registered Member
 Gallery
Poser Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS View Post
And off to challenge #4. Crook decided that I could pick I
  1. And finally. Please don't use any third party render engines. If it came with your app then its fine. Also, no running it through a post process like photoshop etc. Just render to a png and send it along. Its about the texture work not how pretty of a picture it is.
Can I assume that third party render engines would include using a program like DAZ studio to do the renders?

If I have the time I would like to have a go, even though my texturing skills aren't up to the standards of people like Crooks. Unfortunately the only program I know well enough to render it in would be DAZ. I would be using a UV map to texture and DAZ's surface tab (not including displacement though) to access the specular and bump features.

thanks

Pen
Pendraia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendraia View Post
[/list]If I have the time I would like to have a go, even though my texturing skills aren't up to the standards of people like Crooks.
Oh yes they are, trust me.
Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2008, 08:50 PM   #5
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendraia View Post
[/list]Can I assume that third party render engines would include using a program like DAZ studio to do the renders?

If I have the time I would like to have a go, even though my texturing skills aren't up to the standards of people like Crooks. Unfortunately the only program I know well enough to render it in would be DAZ. I would be using a UV map to texture and DAZ's surface tab (not including displacement though) to access the specular and bump features.

thanks

Pen
Daz would be fine. Its geared more towards Fprime, Vray, Maxwell.. things like that. Render Engines that you add ONTO your chosen package. So I can render with LW but can't use Maxwell or Fprime since they didn't ship with Lightwave.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
Old 5th Apr 2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Pendraia
Registered Member
 Gallery
Poser Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
Oh yes they are, trust me.
You haven't seen mine yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS View Post
Daz would be fine. Its geared more towards Fprime, Vray, Maxwell.. things like that. Render Engines that you add ONTO your chosen package. So I can render with LW but can't use Maxwell or Fprime since they didn't ship with Lightwave.
Thanks, I'll try and find time to put something together then.

Pen
Pendraia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2008, 11:34 PM   #7
[SHOCKWAVE]
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Photoshop Premiere

Been meaning to for some time to enter one of these challenges, so count me in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14yvk...eo7SzkMYdwREyX
[SHOCKWAVE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2008, 09:21 PM   #8
johne5
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Maya Photoshop

Yep, I'll to get an entry in on this one
Old 8th Apr 2008, 05:02 AM   #9
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Good to have you along
Lemming World
Old 9th Apr 2008, 02:14 PM   #10
MooseDog
Contributing Member
 Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Digital Fusion

hey biil;

i'll be along as soon as i can. dead computer at the mo , working on a solution. keep your fingers crossed later.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2008, 06:04 PM   #11
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

maakes it hardn to type but sure!
Lemming World
Old 27th Apr 2008, 03:46 AM   #12
David Myers
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop Combustion After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

Hi all. Goodluck to everyone on your Uruk-Hai swords. I will not be in on this one as I am getting ready to visit my aging Mother and siblings in Minnesota. I downloaded quite a number of reference images and most showed this sword as a fairly crude instrument -very dark and probably not very well honed. I would have wanted to make it more elaborate with engravings and curly-ques, but that would probably not be appropriate for an ork sword - an elf sword would be more appropriate for that kind of detailing. So I guess I'm ok with missing this contest. I'll probably jump back in next month after I return from my stateside visit. Good luck to all of you. I'll be lookin forward to seeing what you come up with.
David Myers (aka CthuluSucksVoids)
David Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2008, 11:11 AM   #13
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Sorry for the delay people. I had a bit of a family emergency that required me to be out of town all Sat. and didn't get back until late Sunday. I saw that there was one more entry mailed in this morning when I checked but didn't get a chance to reply to it. I'm not even sure who it was. I'll reply and try and get things started once I get home from work.
Lemming World
Old 28th Apr 2008, 06:04 PM   #14
Syntrifid
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Poser Terragen Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro

May have been me, Bill. I did send a very very last minute entry in. Hadn't heard a reply so hoping it made it in OK. (and on time)
And hope you got the family matter taken care of.

Looking forward to seeing all the entries. Good luck to all!
Syntrifid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2008, 05:03 AM   #15
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Yep it was you. Its working itself out.. slowly.
Lemming World
Old 6th May 2008, 03:13 PM   #16
The Sleeping Dog
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Corel Draw Corel Paint

did I miss the voting????
Old 6th May 2008, 06:46 PM   #17
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

No.. I did. R/L took 9 iron to me for a while. I'm really sorry about it. There likely wouldn't have been a vote anyway since there was only two entries. I'd really like to thank Shockwave and Syntrifid for submitting entries. Since they worked so hard on them they should at least get to see the light of day. Congrats to you both!

Name:	Shockwave01.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	8904

Name:	syntrifid001a.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	8905

I'm not going to be available for much this month and am gone for two weeks at the end of June for a much needed vacation. If someone would like to temp for me in the interim, dop me a line and we'll get you up to speed. I already have a perfect object for the next TC thanks to shockwave
Lemming World
Old 7th May 2008, 07:35 AM   #18
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Nice work guys.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 07:55 AM   #19
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Both good. I vote for Shockwave's Klingon blade.
Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 08:09 AM   #20
DELTA
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender Bryce LightWave Mudbox Photoshop Premiere

I like the different takes on them both, it would be a hard call
Star Trek was a big piece of my childhood... Spock got me interested in the sciences, Scotty got me interested in engineering, and Bones got me interested in healing...Oh, and Kirk got me interested in leadership and Green women...
DELTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 08:32 PM   #21
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Go and get it folks...
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ad.php?p=37683
Lemming World
Old 11th May 2008, 08:10 PM   #22
Syntrifid
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Poser Terragen Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro

Oh man, sorry to see the turnout so light. But Great entry, SHOCKWAVE! I like the transparency work!
Syntrifid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 09:54 PM   #23
[SHOCKWAVE]
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Photoshop Premiere

Thanks! The sword to me screamed Klingon. The script on the side is accurate klingon and spells out
SHOCKWAVES BLADE OF POWER! FEAR AND RESPECT ME! MOO HA HA!
...I had to think of someting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14yvk...eo7SzkMYdwREyX
[SHOCKWAVE] is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing