Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd Jun 2008, 12:25 PM   #1
meaty-btz
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave Maya Mudbox Softimage XSI Gimp Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Default Convincing procedural sand... help?

Anyone have much luck in this? Just not getting the look and feel I am after with most attempts.
meaty-btz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Mikala
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Softimage XSI Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Photoshop Combustion Digital Fusion

Could you show what you are getting in LW and what you are really looking for (pic or whatever) side by side?
Just to get a starting point from.
Old 4th Jun 2008, 09:19 AM   #3
meaty-btz
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave Maya Mudbox Softimage XSI Gimp Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I will get a pic up asap. The issue is with bump maps and the dreaded bump shadow.. aka those little black noise speckles. Sand is actually translucent for the most part so even though its "grainy" it will never have those dark pits unless they are large and significant so trying bumpmaps just makes it look nasty.

To be frank my texture skills are aweful and need metric tons of work. I was able to achieve a beautiful procedural alien world texture but for some reason I can no longer load those files (corrupt, or who knows) but they had some 10 layers of procedurals in each channel and any time I try loading the scene file it get an out of memory error (also the ground plane is massivly detailed and there are tons of displacement procedurals in effect too). That and I have been running into the strange problem of the layers fuctions not working like they used too.

pics

http://www.fortu.net/photos/bolivia/IMG_4770.jpg <--- real sand

<-- mine

To get so far, I have very few procedurals running atm. Its very basic. But to get the glitter on a few spots required me to bump the light to 200%, also added the distance from camera channel to cut down on distance noise that always plagues procedural bumps.
meaty-btz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing