Old 12th Oct 2011, 03:55 AM   #1
eric2575
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop After Effects

Default Aztec

Greetings:

I need some specific advice on creating sharp, detailed texture maps. Trust me, I've done my homework and scoured the web for the answers, but so far have come up short. We are talking about the infamous Aztec map for the top saucer.

Basically I've found two tuts, one for doing it in Photoshop, the other for Illustrator. The PS tut is located here:

http://www.meshweaver.com/tutorials/Aztec_Patterns.htm

the Illustrator one here:

http://discovery.scifi-art.com/aztec/

I've tried the PS one and don't like the stretching that happens when you use the Polar Coordinates filter. I have not tried the Illustrator one since I am not familiar with Illustrator and figure it should be doable with Photoshop.

Rusty's created his terrific Enterprise here:

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9920

and shared his textures with the model. I UV'd my own model and tried his saucer texture on for size. It looks fantastic - his texture - and I would like to be able to make my own texture with the detail he has in his 4000x4000 map. I tried starting out with a 6k x 6k map, drawing my pattern, using polar coordinates, and then scaling the image down to 4000x4000. It doesn't have the crisp lines and detail that Rusty's has, and as stated above, it has a slight difference in thickness of the panel lines due to the polar coordinate filter. Don't get me wrong, it's quite passable, but just not up to par with Rusty's. I have a feeling the photoshop Polar coordinate filter isn't the way to go. Question is, what is the right way, and/or, is Photoshop even the app to use in this case?

Rusty, if you get a chance to read my dilemma, could you shed some light? Any help is greatly appreciated. Attached is a pic of my JJprise WIP and the texture map I have so far. At this range, it looks fine, but I would still like to know how to get a better map for very close shots.

Thanks

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRWire88.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	52684  
eric2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 07:24 AM   #2
nightfever
Registered Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Photoshop After Effects

Its the Illustrator way you should go. Photoshop has the same tools for that.
I tried it that way, too. But for me it was more comfortable doing the aztecs with some 90° discs in my 3D app and layering them in Photoshop afterwards.
nightfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2011, 11:59 AM   #3
rustythe1
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Vue Gimp Photoshop After Effects Premiere

just remembered something i did, i created a disk in modeler, then sup devided it to a high poly count, then went around and selected every other poly, gave it a new surface (made one black,one white) to create a checkered texture, you can then render that out at a stupidly high resolution to use as a pattern selection tool in photoshop by adding more squares to the selection to create the patterns, that way your round edge will be as smooth as you want (the higher the render res, the higher the selection res, then just shrink the image at the end)

"At last, i have a website!"

Intel® Core™ i7 980X Extreme Edition Processor, (3.33GHz,12MB Cache) Asus P6X58D-E-USB3, 128GB MLC SSD SATA Solid State Drive, 1536MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX480 with CUDA Graphics Accelerator, G.Skill 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory (6x 2GB KIt), thermaltake level 10 case, windows 7 ultimate 64bit
rustythe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing