Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Showcase All finalized work, 2D, 3D, and animations

Old 10th Jan 2016, 04:15 PM   #1
maestros
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Default Star Trek - The Presidential Tour - Vulcan

“Welcome back to FNN’s ongoing coverage of President zh’Tharris’ tour of Federation member worlds. I’m Larrian Thlox, and joining me via subspace link is our field correspondent for the tour, Gale Blackwood.

As has been tradition for many electoral cycles now, the President will visit a number of hand-picked worlds and meet with local governors and representatives, as well as partake in local ceremonial rituals as a sign of cultural understanding and togetherness.

The first stop of the 2442 presidential tour is planet Vulcan, in the 40 Eridani system. A staunch ally of Earth, and founding Federation member, Vulcan is a regular on presidential tour itineraries. Gale, what can President zh’Tharris expect there?”

“Well Larian I think we can expect relations to be cordial, if a little frosty. The Vulcan’s are a proud, long lived people. Many older Vulcans still retain suspicions over their Andorian co-members. The two races were once bitter rivals, after all.”

“But that was centuries ago, are you insinuating these rivalries are still going strong?”

“Strong maybe be too ‘strong’ a word, if you’ll pardon my pun, but I think it’s safe to assume the Vulcan Council of Elders are still wary. Especially following Androia’s secession and subsequent cozying to the Typhon pact some fifty years back.”

“Pft, but Andoria has been acknowledged back as a fully fledged member for decades now…”

“Nobody holds a grudge like a Vulcan, Larian.”

“Isn’t that true, Gale, Isn’t that true. So once Starfleet One arrives at Vulcan, what next? Can we expect them to lay out the red carpet?”

“Maybe not the carpet, Larian, but certainly the red ship. We can expect the president to be welcomed about the Vulcan flagship Ni’Vir. And as is customary for Vulcan diplomatic engagements, the president will travel across to the Ni’vir aboard one of her private shuttles.”

----------------------------------------------------

Okay, so on this one I broke a cardinal rule.

I couldn't find a detailed mesh for a Vulcan Suurok class, so cheated and used a pre-rendered image of Doug Drexlers iconic design, with some massaging in Photoshop to make it match my style. I'm already slapping my own wrists.

Again the main aim here is to put a focus on the planets - I'm trying to move away from purely 2D planets and catch up with the rest of the world, and make them in glorious high resolution 3D! The map color for Vulcan I don't credit for. The bump, specular, and light maps I made derived for the original map, and brought them into 3DS Max for rendering.

As I mentioned in my previous image, I'm going to publicly post the BG's:

A credit would be welcomed if used elsewhere.

Comments and crits welcomed (yeah I know, naughty on the Suurok. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Presidential Tour - Vulcan (2560px).jpg
Views:	733
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	80682  Click image for larger version

Name:	BG.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	80683  
maestros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2016, 12:40 AM   #2
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

This is a really great job, I especially like the planet, that's the best render of Vulcan I've seen. I might ask you for the maps when I make a Lightwave mesh of Vulcan.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2016, 05:17 AM   #3
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

more details on how you made the image(s) of Vulcan!
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2016, 08:21 AM   #4
trekki
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D

Very beautiful pictures. If the background is freely available?
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2016, 08:49 AM   #5
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Great work, indeed. And I hear you. I've been moving towards 3D planets for most of last year, and all the planets in my recent images were 3D spheres with largely custom textures. I'm even trying to compose 16k textures where I can, so it holds up for closer shots.

Good job!
Old 16th Jan 2016, 01:22 PM   #6
maestros
Registered Member
 Gallery

Thanks guys.

Lonewriter - feel free, drop me a PM when you're looking at doing that and I'll see if I can send them over. As I said in my post, I can't take credit for the diff map - I just created the bump, spec, and light maps.

Ronald - the planet is made of 3 overlapping spheres; the base with the diff, bump, and spec maps, applied, a slightly larger sphere with the cloud map applied, and the third sphere is the atmosphere applied using a falloff gradient map.I rendered the planet as both with and without the city lights, then in Photoshop tweaked levels and color balances until i has satisfied.My 3D skills are lacking, so much of the outcome is a result of post work in Photoshop.

Overseer - I haven't played with 16K textures much - beyond those for Earth with were largely just tweaked Blue Marble maps. Do you see a major impact on render times with such high res maps?
Old 16th Jan 2016, 01:23 PM   #7
maestros
Registered Member
 Gallery

Trekki - indeed. I've decided to go back to just posting the background images alone alongside the completed piece for others to use if they have the desire.
Old 16th Jan 2016, 02:29 PM   #8
DaveK
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop Premiere

Very nicely done.
Old 16th Jan 2016, 03:20 PM   #9
maestros
Registered Member
 Gallery

Thanks!
Old 16th Jan 2016, 07:44 PM   #10
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post
Overseer - I haven't played with 16K textures much - beyond those for Earth with were largely just tweaked Blue Marble maps. Do you see a major impact on render times with such high res maps?
Yes, they can, depending, of course, also on the complexity of the lighting etc. Due to resource limitations I run into, I tend to render the background separately, and then use the same lighting setup for the rest of the scene. The advantage is though, that close-up shots do hold up much better.

Here are a few examples when I used 16k textures for the planet(s):

I certainly won't say that it's a necessity though. In case of Mars or Earth, it certainly is a valid option! This one had 8k textures and works, too:

overseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 09:17 AM   #11
starship
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop

Good work Chris.
And thanks for sharing!
starship is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase