Old 18th Jun 2009, 02:29 PM   #1
thedoctor75147
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave ZBrush Photoshop

Default atmospheric entry burn

I am trying to create a texture for an atmospheric burn for the re-entry of a ship. i know i will have to set the textures for lumonosity, color, diffuse, and transparency, but i dont know what to set them to.
i need any help i can get. and maybe some help creating an explosion in lightwave, or would i have to do it in photoshop
I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust.
thedoctor75147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2009, 01:51 PM   #2
mrscott
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Terragen Vue ZBrush Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor75147 View Post
I am trying to create a texture for an atmospheric burn for the re-entry of a ship. i know i will have to set the textures for lumonosity, color, diffuse, and transparency, but i dont know what to set them to.
i need any help i can get. and maybe some help creating an explosion in lightwave, or would i have to do it in photoshop
What version of Lightwave are you using? I've been experimenting with a re-entry idea for a Ship using particle dynamics in LW9.6. Still trying to get it right, so that the particles are deflected by the hull.
Old 16th Jul 2009, 02:36 PM   #3
thedoctor75147
Registered Member

Gallery

I am also using LW 9.6. I am trying to recreate the 1701-D's re-entry from Generations
I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust.
Old 16th Jul 2009, 05:52 PM   #4
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Are you looking to make the textures on the ship or the effect (fire and smoke etc) of the actual re-entry?
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2009, 03:10 PM   #5
thedoctor75147
Registered Member

Gallery

I would love to learn how to do both, but right now, i primarily would like to create the texture on the ships leading hull
Old 17th Jul 2009, 05:37 PM   #6
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

If its just the scorch marks you want then all you have to do is add the dark streaks to the diffuse maps in the right spots on the map. There isn't much to it past that.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2009, 03:20 PM   #7
thedoctor75147
Registered Member

Gallery

I am so sorry, i am being confusing, i even confused myself, i was wanting to re-create the glow effect on the leading edge of the ship as it was entering the atmosphere
Old 20th Jul 2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Steve T
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max ZBrush Photoshop

its not lightwave specific, but i would make a copy of the mesh for the leading edge, extrude it out slightly to avoid z-depth / conflicting mesh issues and texture it with a map that is your orangey firey effect. (procedural might work, or just paint it) use a map control the opacity/transparency - so essentially a gradient, perhaps with some fiery noise in it.. make it so its totally transparent at the inboard edge and opaque at the leading edge. make it 100 illuminated and you're done... I don't use lightwave so i dont know how that translates but i'm sure you can do all those things one way or another.
Steve T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2009, 05:31 PM   #9
mrscott
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Terragen Vue ZBrush Photoshop

Here is one I put together of a re-entry. Its the Mercury Spacecraft. I used LW9.6 particle dynamics. Using Hypervoxels, wind, and dynamics on the heatshield are bounce. Its not perfect , but you get the idea. I also gave it an old look of film for effect in post.

Jon

Mercury7.mov

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing