Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 21st Dec 2015, 11:37 AM   #331
Tenement 01
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I'm Scottish and they sounded wrong to me as well. Glaswegians get about a fair bit but not from a long time ago in a Galaxy, far, far, away.
Tenement 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2015, 11:54 AM   #332
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
The visual effects were nothing less than spectacular. Yes, people are cheering that there's no "evil, bad, ugly crappy CGI" in the film. Which is utter bullshit, this movie is full of CG and digital work. But obviously there was a lot of stuff done practical and some of it failed completely. Puppets look like puppets, no matter what you do with them. But it was all blended together quite effectively, just as it was in The Phantom Menace.
I've got a friend who, despite my best efforts, is fully committed to the bad=CG, good=practical meme. I'm sure that in a couple months, I could show him the Cinefex articles for TFA versus any one of the prequles and he still wouldn't believe that those candy-colored cartoons had more models, motion control, and matte paintings than this new, touchably real-looking movie.

In other news, I thought the movie was great. I understand the criticisms about it being too conservative and too much of a rehash of the first trilogy, but I think the truth of that will only become obvious in hind-sight, once we've seen the next two movies. From what we know now, I'd say the new characters are perfectly charming and involving, the filmmaking (in all senses) was a good hybrid, incorporating today's styles and cinematic vocabulary into Star Wars without either completely overwhelming its innate Star-Warsy-ness, or becoming a slave to the conventions of the late '70s and early '80s.
Old 21st Dec 2015, 12:13 PM   #333
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

I also saw Star Wars The Force Awakens and I loved it, I'm not going to nitpick every little scene apart. I am going to enjoy it it for what it was, Star Wars. It reminded me of the original movies and almost made me forget Phantom Menace existed. I don't care what armchair critics have to say, it was good. One of the things I enjoyed the most was seeing this young boy come dressed as a Jedi, it was cute! I dressed up like that when I was 10 years old to see Empire Strikes Back, I dressed as Han Solo, I didn't have a store bought costume, I just wore a white shirt with brown jeans and a toy gun as a blaster. I think my mom has a picture of me wearing that for Halloween in 1980 (yes, I'm that old) if I find it, I'll post it.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2015, 12:24 PM   #334
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase1 View Post
Latest Big Bang Theory.

"The Opening Night Excitation"

This series has been up and down, but for me this was a clear best episode ever. I laughed out loud repeatedly, including at the very first second of the show.
I also enjoyed this episode, I couldn't believe Sheldon gave up his ticket to see Star Wars on opening night to finally have "coitus" with Amy. I loved the look on her face at the end, it was the same look as the guys had at the end of the movie. Having Wil Wheaton go see Star Wars wearing a Star Trek uniform was hilarious. This was a great episode.
Old 21st Dec 2015, 02:09 PM   #335
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

It was OK, but didn't live up to the 'it was amazing' first reviews. Some ropey CG, a wall being blown into bits looked very cheap and some x wing movements looked odd. Kylo Ren wasnt all that convincing, more whiney bitch like Annakin really. Snoke as CG has ruined a a good role that a great actor could have filled to be really menacing.

But, there were lots of good parts too. Falcon centric, Daisy Ridley is great and Mark Hamill was great

Although, Han has just bought it and Chewie makes it back, and Leia goes past him to hug Rey?? I'd have blasted here if I were there.
Old 21st Dec 2015, 03:03 PM   #336
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Talking

Saw it last night. I enjoyed it for the most part. Rotten Tomato's gives it a 95%. I'd give it more like an 85%. Had some plot holes that need fixing, but I need to see it a couple more times to know for sure what is and is not happening.

That being said, it was several orders of magnitude better than any of the prequels, so I was pretty happy!

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 07:40 AM   #337
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
Also, why why why would you get the guys from The Raid in your film - the second set of bounty hunter/smugglers who board Solo's ship - and NOT have them do any martial arts?
LOL That didn't occur to me at the time I was watching it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 01:50 PM   #338
DELTA
Premiere Member

Gallery
Blender Bryce LightWave Mudbox Photoshop Premiere

The Greatest American Hero.
Star Trek was a big piece of my childhood... Spock got me interested in the sciences, Scotty got me interested in engineering, and Bones got me interested in healing...Oh, and Kirk got me interested in leadership and Green women...
DELTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2015, 04:24 AM   #339
Marty Miller
Staff

Gallery
3DS Max Maya Vue Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere

I saw the new Star Wars movie this week and loved it. As someone who ran away from school at 16 to see the premiere of Star Wars, Sat directly behind Mark Hamill and his wife at Empires premiere, I love what those films did to me and my friends. It inspired us, it made us jump for joy and in many cases created a path to working careers. We all sat around talking about how cool it was.................. and until the second trilogy, we still did that, all on positive notes. Nowadays though, a growing number of people just seem to point out what is not, as aside to what is. A fan back in my days didnt spend all his time complaining and bitchin about details, directors, writers, visual effects, actors etc and then add one line at the end of................ dont get me wrong, I did like it. Most of the posts ive seen online are all about critique. It makes me laugh and shake my head in disbelief. I went into the cinema with no expectations and my experience was one of joy. I love it for what it is, not for what it could be. The story is no Author C Clarke or Robert Hienlen classic, its a basic fairy tale with not a great deal of depth, yet we fell in love with it. George Lucas created it, yet now poor George cops more shit than anyone. Now JJ is the target. I just find all of this rather pathetic considering the talent the guy has and also the fact Disney was not going to gamble on a billion dollar franchise. Some 30 years later they attempt to capture more of what the original trilogy had, and in my world, they achieved it. It gave me the nods to the original, the humor and a fresh depth clearly lacking in the second 3. I see this film as very well planned and developed. JJ should be proud as I am to watch his effort on this film. It had heart. Less green screen, practical effects and 3 new characters who didnt get outplayed by effects. I didnt walk away with any negatives and still today do not. I believe this film had more depth to it than any of the others. I just dont get how people call themselves fans of Star Wars, when they spend more time bagging it. I would welcome JJ to do the next one or the 3rd. I have absolutely no problem with him at all. I was certainly not happy with the second trilogy at all, so seeing the new one makes up for that and returned me to a world I grew up loving. Of course we are all untitled to our own opinions. I see far more to cheer about than to complain and winge about............. and for that alone makes watching it an absolute pleasure.
Marty Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2016, 12:15 PM   #340
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Just finished watching "The Martian". A fine adaptation of a very fine book!

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2016, 02:01 PM   #341
iczer
Registered Member

Gallery
Bryce Maya Poser Illustrator Photoshop

For the past week, been binge watching Sons Of Anarchy; we're in Season 3 already
iczer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2016, 11:19 PM   #342
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Miller View Post
I saw the new Star Wars movie this week and loved it. As someone who ran away from school at 16 to see the premiere of Star Wars, Sat directly behind Mark Hamill and his wife at Empires premiere, I love what those films did to me and my friends. It inspired us, it made us jump for joy and in many cases created a path to working careers. We all sat around talking about how cool it was.................. and until the second trilogy, we still did that, all on positive notes. Nowadays though, a growing number of people just seem to point out what is not, as aside to what is. A fan back in my days didnt spend all his time complaining and bitchin about details, directors, writers, visual effects, actors etc and then add one line at the end of................ dont get me wrong, I did like it. Most of the posts ive seen online are all about critique. It makes me laugh and shake my head in disbelief. I went into the cinema with no expectations and my experience was one of joy. I love it for what it is, not for what it could be. The story is no Author C Clarke or Robert Hienlen classic, its a basic fairy tale with not a great deal of depth, yet we fell in love with it. George Lucas created it, yet now poor George cops more shit than anyone. Now JJ is the target. I just find all of this rather pathetic considering the talent the guy has and also the fact Disney was not going to gamble on a billion dollar franchise. Some 30 years later they attempt to capture more of what the original trilogy had, and in my world, they achieved it. It gave me the nods to the original, the humor and a fresh depth clearly lacking in the second 3. I see this film as very well planned and developed. JJ should be proud as I am to watch his effort on this film. It had heart. Less green screen, practical effects and 3 new characters who didnt get outplayed by effects. I didnt walk away with any negatives and still today do not. I believe this film had more depth to it than any of the others. I just dont get how people call themselves fans of Star Wars, when they spend more time bagging it. I would welcome JJ to do the next one or the 3rd. I have absolutely no problem with him at all. I was certainly not happy with the second trilogy at all, so seeing the new one makes up for that and returned me to a world I grew up loving. Of course we are all untitled to our own opinions. I see far more to cheer about than to complain and winge about............. and for that alone makes watching it an absolute pleasure.

Agreed, I also loved it. I remember when I saw Empire, I was 12 and I was so excited, I even dressed up as Han Solo. I wore a white shirt and brown jeans. I even had my grandmother make me a vest. I wish I had a picture. Did you talk to Mark Hamill?
Old 5th Jan 2016, 04:29 PM   #343
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Default Christmas holidays, so I've a lot of time on my hands... (or my ass)

Finally got around to seeing “Interstellar”

I'm all for a smell the roses film but they should have trimmed it; 3 hours of movie in one hit is too much! Looking back I think the whole Matt Damon arc was missable even though I thought he was given some interesting dialogue regarding long-term isolation (in the extreme) and a Human being's dominant instinct for survival. Once he started showing his true colours though I was ready to wave goodbye to that character.

I thought the way the film depicted what living on Earth was like in this near-future was pretty effective and did make me reflect on how awful it would be to live like that day to day, with an atmosphere that's slowly killing everyone as well as leaving us with only one kind of food available to eat...

I felt by the end however I was losing my grip on what I was actually seeing; either it was complete nonsense or it simply progressed beyond my little brain's capacity to comprehend.

The movie had it's own 2001 moment: Were the writers implying that the black hole was artificial?
The realm that Cooper found himself in near the end... It gave him access to a specific point in space across countless different points in time. - Was that created by the aliens specifically for Cooper? -- It's pretty custom to remain relevant to Cooper, so what would they have created if Brand had gone into the realm alongside him?? --- Were the aliens actually advanced Humans from the distant future trying to help their species in the past??? ---- How did Cooper even figure out how to navigate this realm????
How did Cooper actually manipulate Murph's watch? - Cooper's ability to affect the space local to Murph's watch was clearly limited so how on earth was he not only able to stop Murph's watch behaving like a timepiece, but actually got it to hold a message in Morse code?; it was still doing it's dots and dashes even after she removed it from the influence of the anomaly located in her old bedroom?? - I wouldn't know how to alter the behaviour of the watch like that if I held the thing in my hands with the back flipped open let alone 'remotely' from another dimension...
The writers went to out of their way to make us aware of what a black hole does to the rates of time experienced by the characters depending on their proximity to the thing; I think 1 hour down on Miller's planet equal 7 years back on Earth. - Fine by me but Cooper got pretty damned close to that black hole, right to the singularity; wouldn't the time effects as experienced by our characters on Miller's planet be exagerrated significantly more for Cooper as he visits the singularity? - Yet still he emerges to see that Murph is still alive... Then he heads off on his own to catch up with Brand who is residing on Edmund's planet and we see a shot of her standing alongside the camp she assembled looking as young as she ever did.
Did I miss something really crucial?

And I could have slapped the person who did the sound mix on this one... The dialogue was barely audible, mumble mumble, shhhhhhh..... And then BOOOOM, CRASH, EFFECTS, SCORE, YELLING & SCREAMING!!!

I also watched “The Minions” (loved it!).

I watched “Avengers: Age of Ultron” - I'm really falling for all the Marvels stuff lately; saw “Iron Man 3” on TV the other night as well.

And this morning: “The Wolf of Wall Street” - Another 3 hour marathon. Pretty mad though and that scene where Belfort popped a load of those out of date drugs (the Lemons) had me in a total mess of tears.

I've also been catching up on “Dexter” - A few years back I had borrowed my mate's boxsets but inexplicably I stopped at Season 5. Well I scored all eight seasons for Christmas so I've been playing catch up from Season 6 at a rate of between 1 and 4 episodes an evening. - Been really digging this!!
Old 7th Jan 2016, 11:37 AM   #344
Sastrei
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

D-Jota - The movie is effectively a pre-destination paradox. The wormhole, multidimensional tesseract, and the black hole are artificial constructs by future humans to ensure Cooper is able to communicate the gravitational data from inside the black hole to Murph back on Earth.

My understanding of why Brand is still young is that she was caught in the time dilation the same as Cooper from their slingshot around the black hole, and so only a year or two has passed for her relative to when she said good bye to Cooper and he entered the black hole and the tesseract.
Sastrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2016, 02:32 AM   #345
Marty Miller
Staff

Gallery
3DS Max Maya Vue Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewriter View Post
Agreed, I also loved it. I remember when I saw Empire, I was 12 and I was so excited, I even dressed up as Han Solo. I wore a white shirt and brown jeans. I even had my grandmother make me a vest. I wish I had a picture. Did you talk to Mark Hamill?
Yeah mate I did. The hardest part of watching the film was knowing he was sitting right in front of me. When the film finished and he got up to go, I walked and introduced myself and said how much I loved the film. He smiled and said, '' Im really glad you liked it '' and then put our his hand to shake mine. I laughed and said.............'' Now go easy with that new hand ok ''............... he laughed and said, '' I'll go easy on you '' It was a quick exchange, but one that made the experience of seeing the film so much more.
Marty Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2016, 04:27 PM   #346
D-Jota
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sastrei View Post
D-Jota - The movie is effectively a pre-destination paradox. The wormhole, multidimensional tesseract, and the black hole are artificial constructs by future humans to ensure Cooper is able to communicate the gravitational data from inside the black hole to Murph back on Earth.
That's pretty much what I had gathered; I can't for the life of me recall the scenes that explains this in explicit terms. It must have only been implied.
And Cooper being able to manipulate Murph's watch to spill out a Morse code message; the means by which he managed to do that is not even implied. From what I can see we're being told to simply accept that he did.

I got Terminator Genesys for my Birthday so I've been working through all the Terminator films from the flashpoint and been knocking them off at a rate of one a day. I've never seen any of the prior movies in Hi-Def before so I ordered all the BluRays in one hit. - I watched T2 yesterday; still my favourite chapter of the mythos, indeed it's in my shortlist of all time favourite flicks! -- I had bought the Skynet Edition because I wanted all the extra scenes and library of special features... Err, the VAM was pretty disappointing; it doesn't stand up to the material that was packed on to the Special Edition release of the DVD, not by a mile.

I watched T3 this morning, which I recall got pretty slated 'round the time of its release; maybe I'm a forgiving audience but I don't think it's that bad. - Lift out that cringey scene where Arnie interrupts the stipper for his cloathes and tries on the Elton John-esq sunnies and it would have been even less so! I think the main thing going against T3 was the fact that it had to follow T2 which was not only the best one, but amongst the most entertaining Sci-Fi/Action movies ever; what sequel could possibly upstage that? Maybe if James Cameron had been involved he could have given the movie the magic it needed.

Terminator Salvation tomorrow. And before the groans start... Yeah I actually really quite like that one! - Straight up!!
Old 12th Jan 2016, 10:05 PM   #347
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

The Hateful 8.

Typical Tarantino film, so I enjoyed it. The dialogue maybe wasn't as strong as some of his other films and I thought bringing in a narrator in the middle kind of broke the overall feeling of the film. But in general, a good piece of entertainment because it is a strong, character driven story. And I likes me a strong, character driven story!

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 13th Jan 2016, 03:13 PM   #348
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Episode 4 of "The Expanse".

It was very good before, but it just shifted up a gear, with the best space fights (inside and out) I have ever seen. VERY dark too.

This just might be the best TV SF I have ever seen...

Old 13th Jan 2016, 04:29 PM   #349
Jessica6
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Just finished Making a Murderer, anyone who gets upset watching this needs to realize they only showed what was sympathetic to his cause. Deserves a retrial, but is he innocent, not sure.
Just started watching the show Vikings, like what I see so far.
Good luck to anyone in the U.S. on the lottery tonight.
Jessica6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2016, 09:23 PM   #350
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Saw The Revenant this afternoon. Incredible movie, I recommend you go and see it.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 27th Jan 2016, 12:14 AM   #351
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I've just been watching the first two episodes of the new (aka season 10) X-Files.

Very impressed with what they did. It's like the show never stopped. Really nice work overall. I had feared for yet another bad reboot, but no. I like it when my expectations are surpassed unexpectedly!
Old 27th Jan 2016, 01:05 AM   #352
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Quote:
Episode 4 of "The Expanse".

It was very good before, but it just shifted up a gear, with the best space fights (inside and out) I have ever seen. VERY dark too.

This just might be the best TV SF I have ever seen...
It's great, isn't it? Feels like not enough people are talking about.

Just watched episode 8, and this is one of the most interesting and fleshed out sci fi universes I've seen in a while.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2016, 01:35 AM   #353
Amras
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Photoshop

Watched the "Maveth" episode of Marvels Agents of Shield yesterday. Nearly cried of happiness at the end.
I love this show!

I don't think that any show had me in it's grip like this since B5. Not even Doctor Who.^^
Elite Dangerous: Inara
Amras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2016, 04:31 AM   #354
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
It's great, isn't it? Feels like not enough people are talking about.

Just watched episode 8, and this is one of the most interesting and fleshed out sci fi universes I've seen in a while.
Yes, thanks for pointing me at it - I'd pretty much written off scyfy channel (or however they mis-spell their stupid name).

Particularly impressed that they really managed to hit the ground running. It just feels for credible, as well as exciting. I guess they are going to have to slow down the rate at which they kill off characters though!

I can't think of any other series where space battles really felt so credible. I know they are not, but at least the acknowledge that acceleration is difficult.

Guys, if you have not seen it yet, do so!
Best SF in a VERY long time!

Old 27th Jan 2016, 04:32 AM   #355
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

PS - I can't find any "Art of" type books, and my modeling finger is twitching!

Old 27th Jan 2016, 06:56 AM   #356
Harbinger
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

I started a new shift pattern at work, and consequently have a lot of free time during the week. I recently got through all four seasons of Star Trek: Enterprise on Blu-ray, and during the last season I discovered a surprising guest star... Seth MacFarlane! He's only in two episodes, and only has a couple of lines (he played an crewman in Engineering).

My wife wanted to see Star Wars, but had never sat through any of the previous films all the way through - had to explain the difference between a Star Destroyer and the Death Star!

As far as new TV shows, I'm really enjoying Deutschland '83, a cold-war spy series told from the East German side: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4445154/

VR Gaming PC/Video Server
i7 2600K, 8Gb, GTX 1070, 512Gb SSD, 12.5Tb HDDs, LG BD-ROM, Oculus Rift / Touch

1080p Gaming PC
i5 3470, 16Gb, GTX 1050Ti, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD, LG BD-ROM

Gaming Laptop
i7 4710MQ, 16Gb, GTX 860M, 500Gb SSD

Tablet
Surface Pro 4
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2016, 01:08 PM   #357
GrahamTG
Registered Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Terragen Vue Gimp Photoshop

Quote:

Guys, if you have not seen it yet, do so!
Best SF in a VERY long time!
Yep , just caught the 1st episode, very very good.

Nick there are a few concept images on the Syfy site
http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/photo...se-concept-art
Old 27th Jan 2016, 02:45 PM   #358
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

A friend of mine is the art director for the show, and his company site has some nice high res concepts as well:

http://www.northfrontstudio.com/
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2016, 03:09 PM   #359
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Cool! Thanks to both!

Old 11th Feb 2016, 03:02 PM   #360
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Got up to the end of series one of Expanse, it did not disappoint!

Also just watched part 1 of Ghost in the Shell Arise, (subs rather than dubbed). Intelligent, complex, and very good.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe