Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 20th Mar 2020, 06:08 AM   #1891
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

I had never noticed that until you pointed it out. Wow.
Old 21st Mar 2020, 10:00 PM   #1892
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

bit of a lost post in italics and new post below,
Ok while I think of what I need to do with the upper part of the neck I decided to take a look at attempting to figure out what shapes are going on with the shuttle bay. NOW KIM there is a huge cutout here so some of it is not, there to be seen. I had planned to argue this in via box modeling and other brute force methods but more I looked at it the more I figured I should do it in subdiv. All of the blues are way off on this part. The area I am most worried about is the round bits towards the front really.

Also a bit of a change in rendering, I tired of all the graininess of the finished renders and messed with a few settings, while it has increased that period of rendering where nothing is visually going on it I think looks a bit more resolved. It is bringing out more of the surfacing I think in the materials and some contrast between the colors. And yes, I am brute forcing the color balance. Even though I am swatching from official colors everything is coming out warm gray. Again HDRI likely is the case here.
good example here, says it is like maybe 10% done but looks like it IS done. dunno just dunno lol.

So far spent the afternoon watching painting shows and getting that front part of that B deck just right. I think I am getting closer to the curve that is there as well as getting the edges aligned to the saucer in an attempt to keep that curve least around the rounded front even across the length of the hull. It is really hard as those lifeboats look really shallow but the way light and the panel lines go over it seems steeper.

here is a stripped ver to give a better idea of the curvature.
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 04:53 AM   #1893
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Targeting the neck frontage now where I lost the sharpness of the edge and made the neck too wide looking, but retain the base curvature and root flare.

oops forgot to post this a while back. Anyhow thinking I should be collapsing the saucer soon so I can work out the secondary to saucer connections. EXP that upper area.
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 07:39 AM   #1894
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Starting to map out the secondary and tertiary panels as well as some detail decals, latter being a extra bit of something. I toyed with replicating the pencil grids that were done or it was a wash that often divided the blue and green panels and misc grids on the ship. You can see them in the brds in the classic fly by and the often used under saucer shot of the neck. Issue with these is I only have on screen evidence of them and where they were. So I have decided to leave them off and must replicate the Generations scheme but in the older colors. I am still debating if I will stencil all the panels or go textures. Prior would be easier for what I have planned for this but it makes doing "dirt" much harder.

The green I have had to fool with a bit to get it to contrast. I dunno how screen evidence made such a difference of it but in render those 2 shades are so similar if I grey scaled the renders they would vanish. Many of the tng era images I do have the ship is super glossy but it is lacking some decals so I am guessing it got a massive hit of dulcoat once the registries were finalized. Either case I have altered some of the surfacing on the green so it sticks out more in different angles to the blue. Heck even the blue I cannot match in render even if the swatch is applied in the material. As mentioned before maybe it is the hdri and if I used a light gizmo it would display closer to the swatches.

Do have to say even if my early tng images are fuzzy small and full of jpg artifacts the generations paint job is really messy. So much tape and gloppy application. Guessing this was to avoid abrasion marks in handling or just from gotta get it done in less time than it needed. Do wonder what happened to the original MOLDS as the ship was mostly fiberglass and resin. though the days of a fresh casting and paintjob replication are gone now as you would never see it used for anything but some rich guys tv room.

OH also still on the fence about that dark area behind the conference room. Be it painted on or a actual indent into the hull. I am guessing it is there for protection of the hull from whatever possible aft thrusters on the "escape pod" Cannot think of anything else but maybe it being some sort of odd glare coating for the conference room.
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 04:38 AM   #1895
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ok sorta looked for refs but decided after fudging it and watching eps that the general window is roughly a 1mX6m eg 3.2ftX20ft, at least for the large saucer ones. Having to skimp on a few here and there elsewhere on the ship. But I think the ones I have had to alter are smaller on the model anyhow.

I really dunno wtf these windows would look out from given the structure needed for that yacht.

Little lights are where screws were for removing the section for the filming mounts. Same for the upper saucer near the bridge. Figured both locations needed location lights for the bits that detach so meh lol.

Oh also if anyone has anything higher rez of the cutaway poster that was released in a few variants I would appreciate if you point me to it. Largest I have found that is not s bad photo through glass is 1800wide. Hoping for a scanned tiled copy. Mostly want to include any details inside for bits and pieces as well as easter eggs for people to gawk at later on. Slowly gathering all the probert design work too. Maybe I should upload my resources someplace to show what I do and do not have. maybe I will do that tomorrow, merge in the folders and upload a gallery on imgur or something.
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 07:57 AM   #1896
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Oh yeah I decided while i waited for something to cut those windows out and add the room.

also older render with shanghaibund as HDRI

Old 23rd Mar 2020, 11:24 AM   #1897
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Dang, that's a lot of progress since Friday. I decided to take a break and binge on "Altered Carbon". Made it through two seasons. Anyway, nice updates.
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 09:23 PM   #1898
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Yeah I have season2 and some animated thing (re sleeved) on queue but tried to remember season 1 and only could bring up the humanzippybags. So I have to rewatch s1 I think before starting. Same for westworld s3 ep 1 was like a whole bag of WOT for me as some of the "last season" scenes I just do not remember. Need to track down at least the closing eps of that to at least get an idea of who is what and where. Or to see if I just though the season was over and missed a episode!

For no known reason I added some girders and frame work for that "room" Kinda neat how the light materials in v-ray compare to mental ray.

Old 24th Mar 2020, 01:17 PM   #1899
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Interesting how seeing a build points out details we didn't even think about watching a series. Never really payed attention to those before.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 08:55 PM   #1900
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

lost post

Some distractions as I fool with surfacing.

Also spending time looking for fonts, cannot find the set with the proper D and the right 1's Need the plain bold and outlined ones. ATM looking at what is at
https://www.neutralzone.de/archiv/ufp_e.htm

ATM it still has outlines as I am not wanting to collapse it yet.

Old 26th Mar 2020, 06:03 AM   #1901
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Really like the "diffuse"? I think that's what is making the aztecing stand out so subtly. Very cool, none the less.
Old 26th Mar 2020, 06:38 AM   #1902
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

It is just some aniso. Diffuse slot is just the hull color in it. Usually I have a slight concrete or plaster texture with and AO shader in composite, but atm I have that all disabled.

THE UPDATE:

UGH ended up remaking these I dunno how many times. 4 I think, got to involved in using ortho refs over the photos so all priors were either getting ahead of myself or having super wide thrust faces. Very annoying as I cannot just spin cutters I have to manually move everything and align based on best guess of the proper angle. Photos again for the tv version are few. . . . Also along the various versions of the ship they are never the same. I think early on they were not really the typical yellow nor what we came to recognize as RCS with the yellow red etc. The site with the colors says this is the proper color for the tv paint but ehh dunno
http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=23564
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Galaxy_class_model (bottom of page)

I am modeling them based on the generations repaint mostly for consistency and well I only have motion blurred screen caps of the original. Render just has the caoil yellow applied, Ill stick something else on as well as a more glossy red later on. Just being lazy about setting up new materials atm.

Some ways I am worried that I might have to redo the entire saucer. I look at the grids and how they do not align to the mesh as well as how the underside and topside to not even align. But the nature of non concentric grids on the hull. EG they vary in distance inward. SO I worry about how "FLAT" they will be when cut in. Hell were the orignals on the model flat from top to bottom? Spinning the windows etc also fall into this fff damn situation too.
Old 26th Mar 2020, 06:05 PM   #1903
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Swapped out the rcs color to the one in those color codes and stuck the bussard material on the diffuser panels in the saucer impulse to see what kind of "off"
look it has. Probably too red. Also added some liberties to the rcs vents. Dunno about this color. . . .

Also have no idea why I keep getting these "rings" maybe something wonk in the material.
Old 27th Mar 2020, 12:14 AM   #1904
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Decided to give mapping the saucer to the panels least in a lateral sense and see where that takes me. Least then phasers and spinning things across the hull should be a bit easier.

It is missing some near the bridge due to loops further in under the bridge bits. Dunno how this will affect things as I do not know if those horz grids were square to the ship or not. Way it WAS those grids would move up and down along the saucer. NOW they run all horizontal. What it does do is make the saucer bulge upward some on the left and right.

Old 27th Mar 2020, 06:45 AM   #1905
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Well back to where I was I think. And started chopping things up. ATM the grids are 2" wide and debating if I will extrude them or not. Each panel will get it's own uvw in sets like in most of my ships. As for a proper unwrap and texture I dunno yet. Plans would req doing things to the mesh that might not take to having uvw unwrapping, but I might do it anyhow and freeze the uvw and hope I do not make a mess of the quadrants later on. . . . .

likely going to take forever as I need to compare and verify what I see in the orthos and blues. Mostly working with the blues as all the rendered orthos I have the grids are very faint and hard to see in the viewport mapping if at all. Good example now I am looking is the groove that runs parallel to the shuttle bay housing it is really close but in the photos it seems much further away and more of a rake.

Old 27th Mar 2020, 01:42 PM   #1906
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

As usual, just tagging along reading and watching and enjoying.
Old 28th Mar 2020, 04:00 AM   #1907
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Oh man, deciphering what is going on with grids in some places like near the impulse is AUUGHHHHHH. So slow going as I keep distracting to cats, tv, or just standing around not doing anything. HAH.

Old 28th Mar 2020, 04:44 AM   #1908
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ok rest of those grids are in least loosely. There are I think some detailed things like the loops around the left and right right of way markers and other things I have not fully figured out yet. EG the mess that is the piles of paint tape and who knows what and sanded off details that is the area around the impulse drives. Oh maybe not the blues have a hoop around the lights but the photos show something else. Though that one pic of the red light is loaded with paint and tape.

Detached the panels for temp and flip flopped the uvw to differentiate the panels some.

Old 28th Mar 2020, 07:48 AM   #1909
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Well heck I dunno. . . Had grand plans to do the panels in materials but considering swallowing the pill and doing like I did for the tos connie and deal with multi gig image maps. Least then I could work with the inverted mirrored panels exp as this ship as many canon ships do. Break hull grids on the centers of the ships. If you look at any of my own ships I always break panels centrally so they never fall on any axis halves quarters etc. Split panels also cause smoothing errors and other unwanted artifacts. Oh well. gotta follow canon and sadly as much as I hate it I might end up mapping out large sections of this ship which means separate maps for versions of this ship vs creative color layers in the materials themselves. SIGH.
Anyhow weak sign off images, messy slightly off panels on that strange mushroom bit of hull.

YUCK I really wanted to avoid the large image maps.

gotta fix that shuttle bay door too. Or at least re-verify the curve on it.
Old 28th Mar 2020, 10:45 PM   #1910
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Grids on the bottom. As with the top one of the grids is for the phaser strips. All a bit loose near the impulse as again this area is a bit vague. Added those cargo doors even if they are barely showing up.

Old 29th Mar 2020, 05:35 PM   #1911
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkoifish View Post
Oh man, deciphering what is going on with grids in some places like near the impulse is AUUGHHHHHH. So slow going as I keep distracting to cats, tv, or just standing around not doing anything. HAH.

Cats... ...what were we talking about again?
LOL, mine has decided she is now a lap cat and insists on jumping up in my lap while I am working.Would be ok if she would just pay there and be still but she stands up, turns around, wants me to pet her and just generally interferes with work. I've started giving her ten minutes until she jumps down and that seems to work for an hour. LOL
Old 29th Mar 2020, 08:06 PM   #1912
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Zoe is like that but she climbs onto the desk and blocks my monitors and starts fooling with the keyboard. Probably would not be bad if I just had Zoe but her brother Spot is a real whiner and wants one of 4 things, petting, food, toys, or a massive touch everything rubdown on his scratching chair/perch.

Speaking of Zoe lol she is here giving me her broken meower, meh meh meeee meh. Do the same back and she just gets going. Never heard her properly meow. just these silly noises.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 02:26 AM   #1913
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

I loath these pocket windows. . . heh rounding them out and figuring out the angles etc. It is becoming apparent I cannot get a way with a standardized window cutter. Maybe the rest might work with the window cutter I used or plan to use on the flush hull windows. It is what I used for these ones (pink)
Just hate these pockets loads of risk in how I am modeling them to get them smooth. I am avoiding the clearly over sanded bowing bit I have to wonder if I should not just model them how I would think they were built in real scale vs replicating the super soft curves on the model.
Oh well. . . . .

Oh also those shutters on the cargo doors are separate objects. I am thinking each panel is a unit that pulls in and rotates stacking up as it goes. So the blue part extrudes right into the hull. Dunno if I will model anything in there as I am not sure if I will ever use it. Or rather my plans can make use of.

ew a bit of noise in the zoom in so might need to adjust settings again and increase denoiser. Dropped settings down to eliminate some of that rendering but not visually doing anything thing v-ray seems to do. Seriously I will zoom in 4X and not see anything going on. lol.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 03:58 AM   #1914
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Oh yeah opinion needed, should I try to match the early season window lighting? it was a mix of very blue cast light to sometimes a greenish hue and some darker whites. I think some of it was due to the resin and the fluro tubes as well as the composite pass. Or continue to use a comfortable to us white point for interior fixtures and let the rooms bounce the light as it sees fit. I can adjust the glass or physical material elements to replicate the classic light.

I do not know if I will replicate the on and off lights with the canon ship like I did for my tos connie though. That and over time some dimmed or the change in models affect things. The latter eps the windows all sorta go white or warm toned.

Since I am posting this might as well post the windows interior etc.

on to the next set. . . or maybe some early uvw as I think I am close to done with messing with this inset section of the hull short of some possible greebs for extras. I will probably pull off all the green decals on the inner section around the Yacht.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 07:13 AM   #1915
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ok got carried away doing silly things. I needed a break from small pushing of verts and edges and cutting ugly pockets. So I now have a docking ring and bay for the yacht. It is loosely based on the Probert painting. I cannot get some of the room details as seen due to those aft rooms and the forward window bay. BUT I will try to get the back and side walls in. Braces are done to the best I can guess at what is in the image. 10 struts total. All of the rings are based on the "bumpers" in the painting and they fit with some features on the yacht.

A bit if a ugly as seen from inside render too. Beams etc do not intersect in a pretty way but are not really meant to be seen from this angle. That and I have a lot of work to do like turning some edges and what not. I should see if v-ray had a rounder for material corners like MR had.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 08:39 AM   #1916
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Screen cap of the current shape of the "room" off the yacht. not so sure yet if I will keep the larger areas. Might push them back in with a larger walkway than what I had prior.

Old 30th Mar 2020, 12:00 PM   #1917
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Your too fast for me,

On the lights. I noticed changes to the Ent 1701-A as well. Even in the same movie. I sometimes think it's a combination of the heat from the lights cause changes over time and they just decide they want a cooler or warmer look. Anyway, I decided to pick what I liked and run with it. Something stayed consistent so that is what I did but other items weren't so I did what I thought looked best. That was mostly true of internal rooms and lights. Guess I am saying, you should run with you thing will do it justice.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 02:13 PM   #1918
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Well for tng they had what 4 models from ILM after season 3I think. so each of those had lighting systems of various types of fluro. I also do not think they paid much attention to color temp of the film used. Add in composition of a light pass and if they balanced for it or not and youll get wonk.
considering space scenes realistically would be much dimmer the light would be warmer and if you white balance that the ships much brighter interior light would be blue cast. Kinda like how lights in buildings shot at night are often cold, in a blue to green hue. While indoors with balanced to interior lights the outside is blueshifted.

Anyhow reason I keep looking at early TNG eps is the first planned use for this will be a very early scene of the D. So debate is to show the ship as it was at farpoint or to just pretend it looked like it did in generations since the start. >_>

Update.

More of that dock. Figured out that the yellowish tube is a turbolift that meets up to the circular area on the yacht. So the entire open platform here is just a large service bay and observation gallery. Been wasting time looking for a retro fabric for the orange panels in the painting.

As for the refit A That ship is old enough it pyobably had all sorts of lighting types inside. Likely railroad bulbs as those last. Just very warm and dim. I never found out what that model was made of. . . if they built it like the D with molds and resin or scratchbuilt as a master model. EG whatever bits of stuff they could carve grind and machine up.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 05:08 PM   #1919
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Good observations which is another reason your work always looks so good. Loving the dock update.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress