Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Showcase All finalized work, 2D, 3D, and animations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th Oct 2017, 04:43 AM   #1
Marty Miller
Staff
 
Marty Miller's Avatar
 Gallery
3DS Max Maya Vue Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,307
Default Star Trek - JJs USS Enterprise Redesign 2017

Howdy All,

Its been a while I know, Had major surgery on my ankle and have been out of it for sometime. I recently saw Alex's beautiful rendition of the ST Beyond Enterprise model. I had not seen it in such detail and although a great piece of work............... I hated it. lol. I had always loved the details of the JJprise, but the dimensions were so off. So I decided to see what it might look like with more familiar profiles. If I had my way, and if my modelling skills were up to the challenge, I sure would make this a reality. Im going to have a play around to see if I can do it, so wish me luck. Hope all you guys are well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USS ENTERPRISE REDESIGN 2017.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	84532  Click image for larger version

Name:	USS ENTERPRISE REDESIGN 2017 COMPARISON..jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	733.3 KB
ID:	84533  
Marty Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2017, 07:30 AM   #2
trekki
Contributing Member
 
trekki's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 521
Default

Nice !
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2017, 08:35 PM   #3
TrekMD
Registered Member
 Gallery
Paint Shop Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 225
Default

That does look better! I hope everything went well with your surgery!
TrekMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2017, 03:43 AM   #4
Marty Miller
Staff
 
Marty Miller's Avatar
 Gallery
3DS Max Maya Vue Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekMD View Post
That does look better! I hope everything went well with your surgery!
cheers buudy. I think so Surgery was a long haul, but now im pain free and its like I have a new ankle. Just so glad its all over now.............wouldn't want to go through that again, thats for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the foot.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	84536  
Marty Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2017, 04:25 AM   #5
trekki
Contributing Member
 
trekki's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 521
Default

Good improvement and good luck for you.

What changed you to the Enterprise of Alex?
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2017, 04:26 AM   #6
trekki
Contributing Member
 
trekki's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 521
Default

Sorry double !
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2017, 04:33 AM   #7
Marty Miller
Staff
 
Marty Miller's Avatar
 Gallery
3DS Max Maya Vue Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekki View Post
Good improvement and good luck for you.

What changed you to the Enterprise of Alex?
I always like the design aspects of the JJprise. I liked the nacelles, but, they were too big and placed incorrectly in my opinion. I also would of liked the buzzard domes to be more like the original color. The secondary hull was way too small. The rest I liked. So................ I want an enterpise that has the same over shape and dimensions. In the pics I posted, it looks so much more familiar and thats what I like. Im no modeller, so right now I have no idea how to change the seconday hull and the supports to make my new design specs. I'll keep pushing. Alex likes the new design and has given me permission to have a play.
Marty Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2017, 06:39 AM   #8
Rigel
Moderator
 
Rigel's Avatar
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London (the other one, in Canada)
Posts: 22,687
Default

Congratulations on getting through the ankle surgery Marty!
__________________
Those who say it can't be done,
should stop interrupting those of us who are busy doing it!

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2017, 09:04 AM   #9
TrekMD
Registered Member
 Gallery
Paint Shop Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 225
Default

That picture does look painful. Glad you're OK.
TrekMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2017, 12:06 PM   #10
trekki
Contributing Member
 
trekki's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 521
Default

I like this version as well, it is very well done to you.
Is there a download?
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2017, 12:53 PM   #11
John Marchant
Registered Member
 
John Marchant's Avatar
 Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Almeria, Spain
Posts: 2,172
Default

Like it Marty, the nacelles for me were always too close together when you consider how they are meant to function.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2017, 12:54 PM   #12
John Marchant
Registered Member
 
John Marchant's Avatar
 Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Almeria, Spain
Posts: 2,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Miller View Post
I always like the design aspects of the JJprise. I liked the nacelles, but, they were too big and placed incorrectly in my opinion. I also would of liked the buzzard domes to be more like the original color. The secondary hull was way too small. The rest I liked. So................ I want an enterpise that has the same over shape and dimensions. In the pics I posted, it looks so much more familiar and thats what I like. Im no modeller, so right now I have no idea how to change the seconday hull and the supports to make my new design specs. I'll keep pushing. Alex likes the new design and has given me permission to have a play.
The Buzzard dome , is that where they kept the pet birds.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2017, 09:47 PM   #13
lonewriter
Registered Member
 
lonewriter's Avatar
 Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Goldthwaite, Texas
Posts: 5,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Miller View Post
cheers buudy. I think so Surgery was a long haul, but now im pain free and its like I have a new ankle. Just so glad its all over now.............wouldn't want to go through that again, thats for sure.
Ouch! hope you feel better. Nice job on the redesign. I like it much better.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2017, 05:01 AM   #14
Marty Miller
Staff
 
Marty Miller's Avatar
 Gallery
3DS Max Maya Vue Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekMD View Post
That picture does look painful. Glad you're OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekki View Post
I like this version as well, it is very well done to you.
Is there a download?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
Like it Marty, the nacelles for me were always too close together when you consider how they are meant to function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewriter View Post
Ouch! hope you feel better. Nice job on the redesign. I like it much better.
Thanks guys. The surgury was a long time in he making, and its been a great success. Now.................. as for the redesigned Enterprise ?.................well she is now about 80 percent finished as a 3D model.I realised once I started that if I wanted to make the version I always wanted to see, I would have to take my time. The further I went into it, the more smaller modifications I found I just had to do. I can say in all honesty that she looks amazing. I should have some renders later in the week.
Marty Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2017, 08:43 AM   #15
trekki
Contributing Member
 
trekki's Avatar
 Gallery
Cinema 4D
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 521
Default

ok no problem, we are waiting for new pictures.
Get well !
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 12:29 PM   #16
tension69
Registered Member
 
tension69's Avatar
 Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nr Swindon Uk
Posts: 629
Default

Best of with your rehabilitation m8, that looked full on painful
__________________
SpacialKatana on YouTube
Lightwave2015.3 * i7-4770*Win7 64Bit * 2TB HDD * 16GB DDR3 * Asus GTX780 Ti OC
tension69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2017, 12:05 AM   #17
Acidstorm
Contributing Member
 
Acidstorm's Avatar
 Gallery
3DS Max Paint Shop Pro Photoshop
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yucca Valley, CA
Posts: 863
Default

Hey, Marty, glad your surgery went well!

I had an idea about the redesign. I used your orthos to do a quick hack-job in photoshop. One of the things I hated about the JJ design was the nacelles and how close they were together and how far forward the pylons were. Also the short secondary hull bothered me as well. This shows more of how I would of liked to see the ship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USS ENTERPRISE REDESIGN 2017 Hull Lengthened.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	84699  
__________________
Staff writer @ https://benchmarkreviews.com/author/jason_maxfield/
Acidstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2017, 08:54 AM   #18
Marty Miller
Staff
 
Marty Miller's Avatar
 Gallery
3DS Max Maya Vue Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidstorm View Post
Hey, Marty, glad your surgery went well!

I had an idea about the redesign. I used your orthos to do a quick hack-job in photoshop. One of the things I hated about the JJ design was the nacelles and how close they were together and how far forward the pylons were. Also the short secondary hull bothered me as well. This shows more of how I would of liked to see the ship.
Yeah the orthos seen at the top of the thread were photshoped before I did the model. Check my new post for basic rendered pics. cheers mate
Marty Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2017, 01:48 PM   #19
Acidstorm
Contributing Member
 
Acidstorm's Avatar
 Gallery
3DS Max Paint Shop Pro Photoshop
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yucca Valley, CA
Posts: 863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Miller View Post
Yeah the orthos seen at the top of the thread were photshoped before I did the model. Check my new post for basic rendered pics. cheers mate
Yeah, I saw the changes, and that was how I would further change it if I was going to fiddle with it. Push the nacelle pylons further back so they aren't so far forward and stretch the secondary hull further back. Gives it more of an equal balance to my eye.

Still a great job fixing some of the issues I saw with the design in the first place. You fixed the narrow nacelle and secondary hull being too small already. Those would be changes I would of made too. Way more balanced looking now than the original.
Acidstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:02 AM.


2006 - 2013 Foundation 3D