Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

3D Tutorials and your questions on your particular 3D application. Or post questions for general 3D help.

Old 28th Jan 2020, 10:19 PM   #1
Nmajmani
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Default LightWave - Question about tearing lighting/ textures

Hey guys, I have a question about something that has been bugging me. Every time I set up these planets for renders, I get this weird tearing effect going on down at the bottom. Anyone have any idea what it is or how to fix it? It happens with or without textures enabled.

rip_sample.png
Old 29th Jan 2020, 06:38 PM   #2
David cgc
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

That's an odd one. Is this pre- or post LW 2018? Is this a modeled sphere or a volumetric one? If modeled, do those artifacts line up with the polygon flow?
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2020, 09:14 PM   #3
amdfe
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmajmani View Post
Every time I set up these planets for renders, I get this weird tearing effect going on down at the bottom. Anyone have any idea what it is or how to fix it? It happens with or without textures enabled.
Every time you make any planet, or every time you make your earth? If you post your scene file, including the texture map you're using, I or someone else here could probably help you track down the problem in 5 minutes.

Facebook | YouTube Channel
amdfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2020, 10:47 PM   #4
Nmajmani
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cgc View Post
That's an odd one. Is this pre- or post LW 2018? Is this a modeled sphere or a volumetric one? If modeled, do those artifacts line up with the polygon flow?
It's Lightwave 2015. I haven't updated recently simply due to not finding a need to, though if this is a 2015 thing that works in later versions, I may finally make the plunge.
It's a modeled sphere, or well four to be specific, each offset in layers to give some dimensionality from the surface to the clouds to the atmosphere. So basically a surface sphere, cloud sphere, and then two atmospheric spheres to control the fade off of the atmosphere near the edges.

They do line up with the polygons, and it happens with any planet I set up. I'd be more than happy to upload scene files to let you guys take a look. Is the scene, model, and textures alone good enough, or any other information necessary?
Old 30th Jan 2020, 05:27 AM   #5
ccclarke
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

Post away; there's no such thing as too much info when troubleshooting a problem. One of us will respond with a solution.

CCC
Old 31st Jan 2020, 10:15 PM   #6
Nmajmani
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16m7...ew?usp=sharing

That took longer than I meant. Here's the textures, model file, and a scene setup to show the tear. In playing around I discovered it seems to go away if you rotate the planet itself, so I'm really confused why It's only coming up in the one orientation.
Old 31st Jan 2020, 11:50 PM   #7
amdfe
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Photoshop

I can replicate the problem. It is present only to the camera; it affects each sphere layer; and is not affected by the image maps (some spheres use no images). The only thing that is common to each planet layer is that the meshes have been tripled (hence the triangles).

Thus, the first suggestion is try NOT tripling your sphere meshes. Just use the primitive tool in Modeler to make your large, 12M spheres and give them plenty of sides and segments so that they'll appear smooth to the camera. I do this regularly. You do not have to triple your planet meshes to get a smooth edge--you just need to select more sides and segments when you first create the object (the defaults are usually only good for wide shots).

Incidentally, and this has nothing to do with your rendering issue, you have several surface settings where you forgot to resize the image to fill up the sphere. So remember to go back and correct all those "1m" settings wherever you are using image maps (e.g., spec, bump, etc.).

Facebook | YouTube Channel
amdfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2020, 03:40 PM   #8
David cgc
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

^Does size make a difference with spherical mapping?
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2020, 10:41 AM   #9
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

Use a 'globe' (quads), NOT a tessellated sphere (triangles).

100 sides 50 segments with smoothing applied should be good enough. Increase as needed (200 x 100 etc).

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D