Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 20th Jul 2016, 03:41 PM   #211
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Beautiful. I hate to repeat myself, or say more, but that's the ultimate gist of it. They truly are the epitome of elegance!
Old 20th Jul 2016, 05:24 PM   #212
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Rough window placement. Likely to be asymmetrical on the other side but I have yet to arrange that. Likely not to get much more done today but who knows. The blue gunk I am thinking having that spill underneath the white hull panels vs what I have now. The rear windows on the neck ar ea bit meh. I have plans to widen the top green row to be larger lounge rooms or whatever. The spacing is what bothers me however they line up to the side windows so ehhh lol. I guess I could have the back hull with a different floor split height so I can get another row in but I think that would make for too much of a nightmare inside of the ship to align all those floors to the rest.

Old 21st Jul 2016, 10:38 PM   #213
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ok one side of windows done with rooms. . . . ugh lol I have the other side cut too but not extruded etc. So hopefully unless I cop out after food, I will have the neck interiors and windows done.

Images first one is to show volume in the neck and adjoining spaces. I added in geometry for misc machine stuff vs eyeballing it. So blue tubes are turbolifts, pink is data trunkline, green is sundries, red is mains conduit. Or whatnot really only the blues are definitely turbolifts, the rest you can whatever it. Large fushia box is the core and impulse assemblies while the 2 pink tubes are deflector systems and main warp core placements. I doubt any of these will get close enough to thing to worry over windowed rooms getting in the way of it but meh only wasted 10min or so setting it up.
Second image is a bit of a mess but it is just the internal space shapes and the window geo, last image is everything neck related unhidden. There are no interior light fixtures yet so rooms are just lit by night strips and any consoles that happen to be showing and whatever is leaking in past the window panes from the omnis outside.

Oh of note likely the rear facing windows will not be done for a while, least until I plan out whatever surfacing details I want back there as atm that blue stuff is a bit plain and I am not sold on just that for detail with some decals. But who knows maybe I might be cheap and cop out! O_o;'
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 05:23 AM   #214
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Windows rooms and lights are in. Yes, some leaks here and there but that is because I dropped settings to control render times, some. . . . Need to tune the lights in the rooms to dim a few down I think.

Old 22nd Jul 2016, 11:38 AM   #215
Sastrei
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Your work continues to amaze and inspire as always! Love how clean and detailed it all looks, especially the detail to tying intersecting areas together with bevels/trim pieces so it doesn't have that "THIS IS INTERSECTING GEOMETRY" look to it.

I like the inward taper to the fore part of the neck. Lends it a very graceful look.
Sastrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 01:18 PM   #216
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Wow! Just love the detailing on the windows and interiors
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2016, 06:13 AM   #217
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Rearward windows and details. PITA as I did have to merge up some rooms. I irk a bit at how close some of these are to the impulse but there so far is a load of room for the exhaust flow. From what I have read the impulse fascia here is a heat sink and waste dump and not a thrust surface.

Everything light wise in the neck are all needs a bit of tuning. Some rooms have too much light exp the warm toned rooms. ATM it will be tuned by adjusting the objects vs the lum materials. Other rooms are a bit too uneven for the type of room they are. Say those rear facing lounge rooms (large windows)

ugh 50min

UUUGHHH 1hr 43min

and yes, I have yet to turn that edge near the docking port.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 10:27 PM   #218
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery

Just wow. I am literally staring wide-eyed at all the details. In fact my eyes hurt, I forgot to blink... what a great job!
Old 28th Jul 2016, 10:17 PM   #219
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Started messing about with the impulse mostly an unoriginal housing idea as it is a lot like the one on the Probert Ambassador class.

smaller array of grills.

Just a glowing pit with stencil over.

Really feeling the itch to work on something new or the construction of shapes vs busy work like details and windows. So maybe I might start work on something for the SOTL proposal for 18? That is if I am invited again.
Old 30th Jul 2016, 04:59 AM   #220
Martocticvs
Registered Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Photoshop After Effects

The array of smaller grills looks more interesting I think. Maybe if they were just slightly larger (say 6 of them instead of 7)...
Martocticvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 07:15 AM   #221
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Decided to give the impulse a rest and went about drilling more holes in the thing.

Old 4th Aug 2016, 05:44 AM   #222
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

H deck holes drilled. AKA more of the same.

At this point I have to decide if I will do any large windows on the rim and where I should place them either on the curvature or across the stripes.

Old 4th Aug 2016, 02:13 PM   #223
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

I think on the curvature would look cool but might be difficult to carve out. What about doing horizontal windows along the edge, below the curve but above the stripes? just a thought.
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2016, 08:10 PM   #224
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

If anything the rim lined windows would be a bit of a paint to clean up as they will lean towards more junk verts and few altering the edges to align to the stenciled window.
Here is a sample render of one. I figure it would take a good 5X longer to do these over the other windows due to the geometry on the curve.

The alterations to the geo does not seem to cause too much issue with smoothing etc. The one thing I disliked about the intersected lines being broken by the windows is what those lines might represent other than paint. Either way something for me to mull over and decide what I will do. Oh and the curvature goes nearly right to the stripes so anything above will be on the edges making up that curve. (clearly I did not consider windows much when I was working on this saucer part some 2 or whatever yrs ago. I was probably at that time thinking of having them intersect the stripes.

As for horz windows, I might be able to stuff them in between stripes but it might be a tight fit. The rim can just manage 2 8ft decks. Sadly there does not look to be a comfortable way to show it along the edge so it would be just a single row. Anyhow as mentioned something to mull over.
Old 5th Aug 2016, 02:27 AM   #225
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Sampler of the larger window groups. Lighting needs tuning.

probably wont get much further as dinner always interrupts the rest of the evening.
Old 5th Aug 2016, 06:57 AM   #226
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I can empathize with the pain of putting windows on a curve like that. But they do look nice! Especially since it doesn't seem to be causing any smoothing issues.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2016, 02:52 PM   #227
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Yeah I think the curvature is so relaxed that it is not causing the typical shadows that windows on a curve generally create.

I am doing this in quarters to ease the monotony of clean up and building the back wall structure of each window. I happened to get it done last night just had a larger render that did not pan out going overnight. I did weed it some too as my original layout had what I felt a bit too many windows.

Old 9th Aug 2016, 10:45 AM   #228
eagledocf15
Premiere Member
 Gallery
Photoshop

Default Excellent

Fantastic Work!!!
eagledocf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2016, 11:05 PM   #229
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Rest of the rim windows are done. BLEAH
I have an entire secondary hull to look forward to and the whole underside saucer. SHUDDER.

Least this is a Ambassador era ship and not a TNG era one or I would have had to do twice as many of these things.

As this thing renders I am wondering if I should bump those forward lifeboats and move the registry onto that row of panels to space it and the ship name out more. But then I dunno where I would stick those 10 lifeboats. I cannot easily move them up or down as they will interfere with rooms or later elements such as phasers.

I am also about to nix all the physical cut aztec or adjust the materials to not conflict as much under bright light.
Old 12th Aug 2016, 03:21 PM   #230
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery

Very nice progress. I think the registry is fine where it is. It's in keeping with the known setup, and it works just fine I think.
Old 15th Aug 2016, 03:50 PM   #231
eagledocf15
Premiere Member
 Gallery
Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkoifish View Post
Windows rooms and lights are in. Yes, some leaks here and there but that is because I dropped settings to control render times, some. . . . Need to tune the lights in the rooms to dim a few down I think.

I would extend the detail on the torpedo tubes outward and past the hull line. Excellent work!
eagledocf15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress