Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 4th May 2015, 06:50 PM   #31
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

Well, a ship needs a crew, doesn't it?

I made extremely basic male and female figures, which I posed in a few various ways (sitting on chair, sitting on sofa, working a standing console, standing with hands behind their back, standing at attention) and scattered throughout the ship. I then randomly assigned them various skintones (the same ones used by the new multiracial emoji, plus blue for a couple Andorians, since they're the main humanoid Federation race that isn't more-or-less human-colored), and then gave them logical hair colors (no ginger Andorians). I wasn't especially picky about how the demographics were spread out beyond "more-or-less equally," with the exception of putting a fair-skinned male with silver hair in the Chief Engineer's office. The detail is too coarse to see if he has Scotty's mustache, though.

After that, I went through and distributed uniforms. I actually had to do that three times, since the TMP and TWOK uniforms both use organizational schemes different from the command/science/engineering triad used on the TV shows. The TMP uniform colors seemed to be by rank, with senior officers (and a couple oddballs in the background) in blue, junior officers in beige, enlisted personnel in white, and yeomen in brown, and the TWOK uniforms have more departments, plus a totally different enlisted uniform.

Included is a render showing maybe-Scotty, and a shot of a mess hall done with all five uniform versions. It's the most people in one space, so you can get a good view of all the variations. You can also see how I cheated the heights of the ceilings in the rooms on the saucer rim, so all the standing characters are about 3/4ths the size of the sitting ones. It should be less apparent looking through the windows.

Next up is redressing it into the TUC version, then some housekeeping on surface names and how the lights are parented, and it should be good to upload. After that, I want to fiddle with the textures on Dennis's model a bit before doing some 5K re-renders of a couple old favorite shots, which was the reason I started this whole project in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotty.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	78116  Click image for larger version

Name:	TMP_Uniforms.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	78117  Click image for larger version

Name:	TWOK_Uniforms.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	78118  Click image for larger version

Name:	TNG_Uniforms.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	78119  

Name:	DS9_Uniforms.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	78120  Click image for larger version

Name:	FC_Uniforms.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	78121  
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 07:19 PM   #32
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Attention to detail master class! I usually pride myself in doing that, but this is ridiculously awesome!
Old 5th May 2015, 03:31 AM   #33
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

Looks great David and should allow for some fantastic close ups and give us allot of depth to pull out shots. I want to look to fitting this to the Bob's Enterprise model if its possible. That would make one hell of a great model look even better.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 08:00 AM   #34
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
Looks great David and should allow for some fantastic close ups and give us allot of depth to pull out shots. I want to look to fitting this to the Bob's Enterprise model if its possible. That would make one hell of a great model look even better.
I plan to do that as well. We'll have to compare notes.

Crew figures in the interiors? That's going overboard! But in a totally cool way!

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 03:36 PM   #35
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

Great job.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 09:51 PM   #36
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery

Had a little delay. It started when someone decided to put Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites on Good Old Games, and sort of snowballed from there. But I got back on the wagon, and have some renders of the TUC color-scheme.

Aside from changing the beige accents to blue accents, I also replaced the TMP bridge-style chairs with the ones used in TFF and TUC, build a new standing console based on the one used in TUC for the transporter and torpedo rooms, replaced the TMP bridge-style wall consoles for ones modeled after the TNG master monitor in engineering, and put up a bunch of lighting fixtures.

I still had some tweaks I want to make with the lights and texturing, but we're getting close to the finish line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TUC_v1_Port.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	78366  Click image for larger version

Name:	TUC_v1_Port_Rooms.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	78367  Click image for larger version

Name:	TUC_v1_TFF_Bay.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	78368  Click image for larger version

Name:	TUC_v1_TFF_Bay_Rooms.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	78369  

Name:	TUC_v1_Dining.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	78370  Click image for larger version

Name:	TUC_v1_Rec_Rooms.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	78371  Click image for larger version

Name:	TUC_v1_Top_Front_Rooms.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	78372  
Old 27th May 2015, 11:33 PM   #37
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

Great updates.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:43 AM   #38
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Looks beautiful indeed.
Old 28th May 2015, 04:48 AM   #39
Roger Grein
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Outstanding job!
Roger Grein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 05:17 AM   #40
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

What they have said.
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 05:21 AM   #41
starship
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop

My jaw is on the floor!!
Brilliant work.
starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 07:05 AM   #42
Pheylan
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Modo Vue Paint Shop Pro

Fantastic work! My favorite part is the variety of crew members you have. Really adds to the realism.
Old 28th May 2015, 07:55 AM   #43
Professor Moriarty
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

The amount of detail you put into this is staggering. The word redonkulous comes to mind. Amazing!
Old 28th May 2015, 08:02 AM   #44
DELTA
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender Bryce LightWave Mudbox Photoshop Premiere

Fantastic work... Aren't those STNG uniforms tho? lol
Star Trek was a big piece of my childhood... Spock got me interested in the sciences, Scotty got me interested in engineering, and Bones got me interested in healing...Oh, and Kirk got me interested in leadership and Green women...
DELTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 10:42 AM   #45
GMD3D
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

amazing
GMD3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 07:41 PM   #46
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Beautiful work.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 30th May 2015, 08:32 PM   #47
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery

I've uploaded the interior model to the resources section (under "unfinished models"), so it should be available soon. There's also an FBX version, and a download that just has the low-poly crew people and uniform textures.

I also uploaded my old Stargate model, because apparently I forgot to upload it here after we stopped being LWG? I guess? Whoops. Anyway, it's up now, a mere four years after I last updated it.

Looking forward to seeing how how difficult it is to retrofit it to work with Bob's model. Also, glad to be free to move forward with fiddling with the textures and lighting on Dennis's model. I'll keep update the thread as that goes.

By the way, I should probably have mentioned by now the original reason I wanted to gussy up Dennis's model was that I submitted three of my old images to the Ships of the Line calendar contest last year, and one of them won!

I didn't get to revamp the image as much as I'd like for print, deadlines being what they are, but I'm still planning to do 5K versions of the other images I submitted using the improved model. I have a couple other ideas for fun projects to do with a super-detailed movie-era Enterprise, too, but those are further down the list.
Old 31st May 2015, 12:17 AM   #48
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Congrats David on getting one of your images on SOTL. Look forward to seeing this.
Old 31st May 2015, 02:05 AM   #49
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

That is utterly beautiful! Absolutely excellent!
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 08:44 AM   #50
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

These are great, I can't wait to use the crew models in my Nova class.
Old 6th Jun 2015, 07:55 PM   #51
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery

A while ago, I came around the belief that supplementing conventional specularity in textures with blurred reflections looks really nifty. I haven't nailed down how to replace specularity entirely with reflections (I have a feeling that updating to software released this decade and learning to apply all that stuff I've read about linear workflows might help with my experiments), but it's a nifty supplement.

I wanted to make the Enterprise look more like it had the satiny, pearlescent paintjob in had in the first movie. First, I decided to attack the pearlescent effect, where specular highlights reflected prismatic colors much brighter than the hull appeared in even light. After about ten minutes of fiddling with Lightwave's nodes, I looked up what exactly the "Color Highlights" option does. It makes specular highlights the color of the surface, rather than the color of the light that they're reflecting. It affects reflections the same way.

Well, that was straightforward enough.

Dennis's Enterprise's color-maps have the hull plates as very bright, pale blocks of color. In renders, it may as well be flat white. I ended up getting the effect I wanted the way I get Lightwave to do everything I want: Exploiting the fact that values that are give as percentages aren't really. 1000% color highlights made the hull gleam like a rainbow under a spec hit. For the darker sections of hull, like the cowling around the deflector dish, I set it to 50% color highlight, since for surfaces that dark, values over 100% made the highlight turn black, which is a neat effect I'll have to remember later on when I try to make something more unreal-looking.

As for the reflections, I wanted a simple, repeatable way to add it to every surface. My first try was to copy the specular textures into the reflection channel, which was too much. My first attempt to compensate was to lower the base reflection value to a negative value to reduce the overall value of the texture. That worked too well, and I ended up with some areas having a negative reflective value, which also caused mysterious black dark-lights (hidarks?). I ended up using the same base reflection value as the base spec value, then added a simple 5% "value" procedural over the other reflection texture layers, set to multiply. For surfaces without specular reflection maps, I just used half the specular value, which matched the textures with maps surprisingly closely. For the darker sections of hull, I increased the "Reflection blur" value from 10% to 15% to help underscore that those sections were some other material than the normal hull plating.

There's also a very subtle bump map, the specular textures with a 7.5% base. Some of the publicity shots and scenes in the movie make it look like the plates on the hull aren't perfectly smooth (probably all the layers of paint on the model began adding up in some areas).

My main test render is one I matched in camera angle and lighting to the publicity shot of the Foundation Imaging Enterprise from the Star Trek 1 director's cut. After I did that, I converted the lights from "distant" to "area" lights since I use area lights for everything, because I've never seen a razor-sharp shadow in real life. I made the fill light, especially, very large, once I realized the FI shot didn't have shadow-casting turned on for that one. In that shot, you can mostly see the pearlescent effect in the highlight at the top of the saucer. I rendered a couple other shots from lower angles to try and show off the reflections a bit more (and, once I realized where I was aiming the rear-quarter shot, I went more-or-less for the angle from the other TMP publicity shot. Didn't match the lighting, though). We'll see what happens when I put it into scenes with other objects and environments, but for now, I'm happy with it.

Before I redo any old pictures, I'm going to run off one more batch of test renders in multiple passes, so I can get an idea of how the model will look the way I'll actually use it. I'm thinking a pass for scene lights, self lights, and the windows, each with a Photoshop export so I can adjust each render channel individually. Aside from brightness of the windows, I definitely want to pump up the reflections from the windows and spotlights, since those are pretty visible on the studio model.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TMP DE Pub Shot 2015-06-05.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	78465  Click image for larger version

Name:	TMP_Ent_000_B.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	78466  Click image for larger version

Name:	TMP_Ent_001_B.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	78467  
Old 7th Jun 2015, 02:18 AM   #52
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

Agreed David, I always use separate lights for specularity so I can pump them up as much as I need but not pump up the overall lighting. I tend to use different lights for all of them, it gives you much more control over what you are seeing without over lighting the whole scene. Also changing the colour of the specular lights is also good.
Old 7th Jun 2015, 10:29 AM   #53
trekki
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D

Hello,
I converted the whole object in C4D and this is the result.
Thanks to David CGC and of course Dennis Bailey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1701-Refit.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	532.3 KB
ID:	78472  
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2015, 11:43 AM   #54
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

How easy was it to fit together in C4D. Im wondering if anyone has tried with Bobs Enterprise yet.
Old 7th Jun 2015, 07:39 PM   #55
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
How easy was it to fit together in C4D. Im wondering if anyone has tried with Bobs Enterprise yet.
I have. I started with the little observation room above the hangar doors. It would need to be entirely rebuilt to fit Bob's mesh. The parts I've tried are too small; I had to enlarge them. The hangar bay is close, but not quite close enough.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 7th Jun 2015, 08:17 PM   #56
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekki View Post
Hello,
I converted the whole object in C4D and this is the result.
Thanks to David CGC and of course Dennis Bailey
Yep, that's it.

I'm glad to see it ended up going together for someone else. I felt kind of weird about uploading a model that needed a fair amount of work to actually use. I suppose it's no different from aftermarket parts for a plastic model, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
I have. I started with the little observation room above the hangar doors. It would need to be entirely rebuilt to fit Bob's mesh. The parts I've tried are too small; I had to enlarge them. The hangar bay is close, but not quite close enough.
Yeah, I started to wonder if I was overly optimistic about translating to different models while I was camera-matching that DE publicity shot and realized, yes, two pretty accurate models based on the same original could still end up being far from mathematically identical. I also noticed there's some funky stuff going on with the windows on the DE model, but that's neither here nor there.

Minor delay on the next batch of renders, as I remembered I wanted to do something about the hatches in the saucer (both the ones on the bottom open in drydock, and the little elevator that goes up to the saucer top from the end of the movie). Should be a quick job, I mostly just want to have it ready for later.
Old 7th Jun 2015, 10:15 PM   #57
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery

So I suppose with Bob's it best the build the base room's yourself than add in David's interiors after to fit. Mind you Dennis model is very decent considering its size.

Its nice to have some interiors to give a good sense of depth at mid and close passes.
Old 8th Jun 2015, 07:48 AM   #58
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
So I suppose with Bob's it best the build the base room's yourself than add in David's interiors after to fit. Mind you Dennis model is very decent considering its size.

Its nice to have some interiors to give a good sense of depth at mid and close passes.
I haven't tried to fit the saucer rooms to Bob's, but that's probably the approach to take. Everything in these interiors is usable, just build your own floors and walls. The crew figures alone are certainly worth the download as they will work with anyone's Star Trek ship.

Ooooo, that reminds me. I should put them into my Kelvin.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 9th Jun 2015, 11:16 AM   #59
trekki
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D

Hello David cgc,
do you have a picture of TMP hangar, I need that because of the colors and materials.
Thanks again for this great property and for this wonderful work.
Trekki
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2015, 06:13 PM   #60
wharding85
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Cinema 4D LightWave Poser Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects

loving your work so far you have put so much detail into your interiors. I dunno if this has been asked or not, if it had then i apologize but what software are you using, I'm currently using cinema 4d to do my interiors. I love the crew lounge\ mess hall interior i have made one for my interiors but its not as detailed as yours and its more in keeping with the tmp orange box furniture. Cant wait to see more of your work, can never have too many interior shots of this amazing starship
wharding85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress