Skyraider3D
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max

Cool Aircraft - TSR2: Hell-For-Leather

Hi guys,

I hope you all had a good Christmas. Here's one of my latest images:

Hell-For-Leather

After their nuclear attack against a Soviet industrial target, the crew of this TSR2 dive back to the relative safety of supersonic low-level flight. With the bomber’s cover now broken, a “Shilka” self-propelled anti-aircraft gun is the first enemy unit to respond. As they speed away from the target, hopes are high for a safe return to their forward air base in West Germany... if it is still there. This is the doomsday scenario that could have unfolded, had the Cold War turned hot and had the TSR2 not been cancelled in 1965.

Around the height of the Cold War, the British government released a specification for a nuclear-capable strike and reconnaissance aircraft. The result was the British Aircraft Corporation TSR2. Sadly Britain was in a poor financial position at that time and simply couldn't afford this state-of-the-art machine. The cancellation that followed in 1965 nearly wiped out military aircraft production in the UK.

This image was created for Damien Burke's superlative book, published by Crowood, about this fascinating aircraft. If you have any interest in the TSR2 at all, this is the one book to get. Freshly researched, it debunks all the misinformation and myths that surrounds it and adds lots of new insight, information and fantastic technical detail that has been hidden in archives for over four decades. An absolute must for anyone interested in Cold War aviation. More information about this book can be found on http://www.tsr2.info

Prints of the cover art are available through my web store at http://www.digitalaviationart.com

Thanks for looking!

Ronnie

PS. Below are some close-ups:

Old 27th Dec 2010, 07:29 AM   #2
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

The perfect monster-in-law card!!! Merry Christmas. Wish you were there....

Love the image! The one thing that looks odd though is the tracers. If his course was from the POI to here and the Shilka tracking him from somewhere between then and now. Wouldn't the tracers arc be the other way?
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2010, 12:21 PM   #3
DaveK
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop Premiere

Nice image. There is a tendency to forget how dangerous the world situation used to be.
Old 28th Dec 2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Well done and congratulations on getting a spot in the book.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2010, 02:51 AM   #5
japa
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Excellent! It don't look a render. Is a hand-painted image?
japa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Skyraider3D
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max

Thanks a lot for the replies! Glad you like it!

Bill, you're not wrong about the tracers, but they worked more dramatically this way. They also hopefully suggest the frantic actions of the Shilka crew... shooting first, proper aiming later, or the enemy will be long gone. Plus gravity will also make them arc down a bit, but it's definitely a debatable point, agreed. I'll excuse myself with the magic words 'artistic license', hehe

Dave, thanks, yes too true.

Rigel, thanks! This was specially commissioned for the book.

Japa, I always tend to do a lot of post-production on my images to remove the 3D looks from the 3D element and make the background (usually built up of one or more photographs and some digital paint) fit the main subject. I don't aim for any style in particular, but I suppose my work can best be described as hyper realistic (opposed to photo realistic or painterly styles). Above all I hope to make a pleasing looking and original image.
The backdrop is based on a photo I took on the evening after the Buncefield oil depot north of London went up in flames. I was 40 miles away and the sky was black, that's how big the smoke cloud was! A winter sunset and ground fog made the post-apocalyptic scene complete! The nuke was handpainted (in PS), it took less than a couple of hours. The Shilka took the better part of 5 minutes to do (literally). See attached.
Attached Images

Skyraider3D is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase