Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 7th Mar 2018, 01:44 AM   #1
Triple F
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Default B5Scrolls – I’ve painted myself in a corner.

There’s a fair bit of stuff been put together for the update to the site – but the big problem is those little rotating ship animations.

Back in the day I put around 140 of them together during various past updates – roughly half were fan models off the web while the other half I put together with a very basic bit of software called Ulead Cool 3D productions – and that’s what was also used to create the animation sequence which was then transferred over to Flash . . . . . At the time (long before html5) that was the best solution.

Anyway. Flash isn’t an option these days (and hasn’t been for a while, but I’m only now getting round to updating the site). . . . . and here’s the problem. I can’t do it. At least half properly.

I’m using HTML5 to show MP4’s and they’re great when someone else renders a sequence of images which I then slap together for the animation. But there’s 140 designs on the site, and that’s a lot of rendering. I’m just unable to do it – I’ve got an old XP based system which is on its last legs.

So is anyone up for rendering out some of the great fan made models kicking around. Even one or two would help. Simple 360 rotation over 500 frames around 700px wide and as tall as it needs to be.

It’s a big ask, due to the time needed to render something like that out at any kind of quality – and I hate asking, I really do - but like I said, I’ve sort of painted myself into a corner with the way the update has taken place. The simple option – maybe the sensible one - is to just drop that section with the animations behind the ‘mode’ button, its only a small part of the site’s content.

There are a couple of people already helping – but I’m *very* conscious of the fact that they’re doing it as a favour to me and tying up their machines for hours at a time. Here’s a link to the Vorchan ship – the screen is just a quick WIP.

http://b5scrolls.com/B5ScrollsWorkin...m#Screen5_05_3

If you’re on a mobile it’s 50/50 if you’ll be able to see it. Anyway. Spreading the load so to speak, even a little, would make keeping that section on the site a more realistic option – hence the ask.
Triple F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2018, 02:02 AM   #2
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

I would suggest making a list of the ships that need doing (you probably already have one) and I guess some of us can get along to it.

I'll do some. How do you imagine it? One basic setup that we apply to models one at a time, or do you want to do all of it as a scene & model etc, wrap it up for us and we just render it out? Looks like you've got a white key light off to the left and a blue fill light.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 05:11 AM   #3
Triple F
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Here’s link to the list of ships.

http://b5scrolls.com/Ship%20List.htm

Highlighting so many designs on the site is one of those ideas that seemed like a good one at the time – when working alone. Now, it looks a bit excessive.

Up until this point it’s just been a case of pick a ship and rendering out a sequence of around 500 PNG’s and uploading them so I can grab them. It’s handy as I can fix some of those little visual niggles that can crop up in some frames – so it saves re-renders. Then they’re combined to make the MP4’s (they run at 30 fps).

If anyone else is mad enough to help out : ) giving an indication of what ones you want to do is probably best, and I can update the list to show you’re working on it – so that will cut out duplication in effort.

Basically, I’m trying to see if the previous list of ships on the site is still doable with new animations – which I can’t actually produce on my own now. Maybe cutting back on the number or leaving some without animations is the way to go. Have I mentioned I did (and do) hate asking for help with this.

The only other thing I’ll need is the name of who’s 3D models are being used – so the correct credit can be given.

BTW. I just realised I haven’t mentioned this. Those 70 or so models I put together originally for the flash animations have long since been misplaced. But they couldn’t have been used now anyway – they were horrible, badly built with bits floating and not even touching, OK for tiny low res flash but not much else.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 01:33 PM   #4
RedTed
 Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Poser Gimp Photoshop

I'll do some as it's a worthy cause!
I'll report back on which ones when I've checked out that link.

Ted
RedTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2018, 01:56 PM   #5
RedTed
 Gallery

OK. I'm happy to do the Starfury as a starter. It would be Fabio's version 3. Best one out there! Any idea whose wingart you would like?

Ted
Old 7th Mar 2018, 02:07 PM   #6
Triple F
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Shiny. I really appreciate this. Hold off on the Starfury for the moment though. I didn’t mention it, but scattered throughout that section they’ll be a few of the original 3D models which were used on the show. Already got a couple, but I’ve just learned the Starfury will most likely be one as well – same for the Thunderbolt. I’d kill for a half decent one on the T’Loth, Th'Nor, Primus cruiser (not the liner), Earthforce One, Olympus, Nova or the like. Warlock is likely to be the one used on the show.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 04:16 PM   #7
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

I like the page layout. What service host are you using?
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2018, 08:46 PM   #8
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

I'll run off a Blue Star to start with.

By the way, which Skylark is which? I have Scott Kingston's model, which has the Starfury engines on the wings and the single little stubby tailfin.

EDIT: That was faster than I thought. I matched the Vorchan animation as best I could without spending more than, like, fifteen minutes trying. Here's the Blue Star, by Nadab Göksu and William Johansson

I've also attached the template scene I made (Lightwave 2015).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Template.zip (4.0 KB, 19 views)
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2018, 03:25 AM   #9
Triple F
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

@Treybor
It’s being hosted over on One.com

@David cgc
Bloody hell, that was quick. : ) Thanks.
Old 8th Mar 2018, 05:53 AM   #10
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Hey, I'd love to help out.

If you'd like, just tell me which ones you'd like done first. Otherwise, I see none of the Narn ships are done.

I'll take a look tonight and see which Narn ships I have and do them up.

Cheers!

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2018, 09:33 AM   #11
RedTed
 Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
Shiny. I really appreciate this. Hold off on the Starfury for the moment though. I didn’t mention it, but scattered throughout that section they’ll be a few of the original 3D models which were used on the show. Already got a couple, but I’ve just learned the Starfury will most likely be one as well – same for the Thunderbolt. I’d kill for a half decent one on the T’Loth, Th'Nor, Primus cruiser (not the liner), Earthforce One, Olympus, Nova or the like. Warlock is likely to be the one used on the show.
Too late I already did it! So it's here if you need it.
Here is the EA Nova by John Quach.

I notice that the PNG's of the Blue Star done by David CGC are 500px wide and you said 700px! Anyway, I've done the Nova at 700px but if it's too wide I can redo it.

I'll do the Olympus Corvette next!

Ted
Old 8th Mar 2018, 11:04 AM   #12
Sastrei
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

I would love to help out! Specifically with the Earth transport/freighter ships! Though I'm unclear, do we need to already have our own versions of those ships ready to go, or do you have an archive of them?
Sastrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2018, 01:35 PM   #13
RedTed
 Gallery

This is the Olympus Corvette by Leo Dunin

Ted
Old 8th Mar 2018, 06:00 PM   #14
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Talking

Hey Triple F,

Here's my first try rendering the Narn Frazi fighter. Let me know if this is what you were after.

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Narn Frazi Spin Stills.zip (20.46 MB, 26 views)

Old 8th Mar 2018, 09:20 PM   #15
Triple F
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

I wasn’t expecting this. I don’t have any of the old models I put together for the flash files - I did about 70 or so, the other 70 were off the web. Places like here and the Celestia motherload are the two go to places I use now when looking for stuff.

I’ll look through those which have been done, and unless they’re as bad as I would do (and I don’t imagine they are), and someone hasn’t already done one when I wasn’t looking, then they’ll most likely be added to the site. . . . Thanks for this.
Old 9th Mar 2018, 02:34 AM   #16
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
I wasn’t expecting this. I don’t have any of the old models I put together for the flash files - I did about 70 or so, the other 70 were off the web. Places like here and the Celestia motherload are the two go to places I use now when looking for stuff.

I’ll look through those which have been done, and unless they’re as bad as I would do (and I don’t imagine they are), and someone hasn’t already done one when I wasn’t looking, then they’ll most likely be added to the site. . . . Thanks for this.
Faith manages.
Old 9th Mar 2018, 10:27 AM   #17
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Hey Triple F,

Is that what you were looking for? Do you want any changes, such as camera settings, AA, lighting, ect?

If you're okay with what I did, I'll start working on the other Narn ships I have.

Old 9th Mar 2018, 10:06 PM   #18
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Red face

Here's the Narn Defense Platform.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Narn Defence Platform.zip (35.90 MB, 37 views)

Old 11th Mar 2018, 08:57 AM   #19
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Red face

Here's the Narn Gorith Bomber.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Narn Gorith TurnTable.zip (53.44 MB, 25 views)

Old 22nd Mar 2018, 08:39 AM   #20
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Hey Triple F,

Not heard from you in a while. Everything okay?

Old 9th Apr 2018, 10:50 PM   #21
Triple F
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Sorry for not getting back sooner, Real life, and all that. : )

Earth Alliance ship screens are up, though currently only ship 1, 8, 9 and 10 have the animations behind the mode button.

http://b5scrolls.com/B5ScrollsWorkin...m#Screen2_01_1

@RedTed.
Love the Olympus, but something screwy is going on with a section of the model on the port and starboard sides during the rotation. Don’t know if you still have the frames, but you can see it happening on the right hand side of the ship between frames 311 and 312. Sure there’s a term for the geometry changing like that, but I’ll be buggered if I know what it is. Same thing happens on the left side as well. Nova’s fine but the contrast (light reflection is blinding), might just be my set up though. But I(very much) appreciate it was also a quickie.

@Oldcode.
Thanks for that, but the Narn Fighter is one of those which the original model is going to be used. The Gorith wasn’t on the show, same for the defence grid. God, I hate saying this since you and RedTed have been great in doing these.

I’m starting to appreciate why, as someone pointed out, blindly asking on the forum might not have been the best way to have approached this. It’s one of those up in the air situations, not sure what’s being done, might be done, and currently has a snowballs chance in hell. What I can say for the moment, and sticking with just the Earth Alliance these haven’t been claimed yet.

Olympus
Nova
Advanced Omega Destroyer
Valkyrie Missile Boat
Boomer Military Transport
Magnum Heavy Lifter
Cougar Military Transport
Earthforce One

As I mentioned earlier, I’m still not married to the idea of keeping those mode screens, mainly because of the problems associated with creating newer animations. If anyone is still up for putting a bit of time into this, that would be very much appreciated, but at the end of the day – my project, my problem.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 08:03 AM   #22
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Hey, no problem. Glad to help.

I just picked a category that looked like it didn't have a lot of attention and went with it. The renderings didn't take a lot of time so there's no real loss.

If you like, just post here what you'd like me to do next and I'd be more than happy to crank some out.

Old 4th May 2018, 03:35 PM   #23
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

heheh, could prolly do all the following in a couple of days

EA Whitestar
Minbari Sharlin
EA Explorer - Cortez
Shadow & Fighter
Narn G'Quan & Fighter
Vorlon Dreadnought
Vorlon Planet Killer

Just a 360 over 500 frames with main light n back fill sort of thing? Why not 360 frames, 1 degree per frame, cuts down on anim size a bit your end? I mainly render HD can you resize?

Gimme a holla if this is still on.
Old 7th Jul 2018, 09:05 PM   #24
Triple F
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

@ David cgc
Cheers, that Blue Star is spot on, so that’s another off the list. : )

I’ve uploaded all 27 animations for the Earth Alliance section. Which basically means a lot of transports.

http://b5scrolls.com/ShipTest.htm#vScreen2_02_1

Currently 87 out of the 140 are done and dusted – haven’t marked the Blue Star off this list (red are the ones already finished.)

http://b5scrolls.com/animated.gif

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe