Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 16th Jul 2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Triple F
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Default Beta copy of the last update to B5Scrolls.

It’s not quite ready for full publication – The interviews, artwork and ship screens are up. The Other Stuff section still has a few things to add. But here’s how the final update to B5Scrolls is shaping up.. . . . Only took 18 months to find the time to do the bloody thing. : )

http://www.b5scrolls.com/B5ScrollsWorking2a.htm

If you don’t read anything else on the site, the interview with Ron Thornton is the one thing I’d recommend.

I don’t know why I never thought of including them before, but the little link boxes behind the highlighted text – which hold quotes, trivia, photos, even script extracts - add a new layer of detail and info . . . or at least that was the theory.

Biggest problem I had with them was how many to include, and how much to put in them. Too many and they totally screw up the readability of the site – especially if they’re holding a lot of text. Too few and you start wondering why they’re even there.

The addition of the renders showing some of the actual 3D models used on the show was nice to finally have. And the slightly larger page layout meant I could play around a bit more with content – like the animation showing the Lemmings being ejected from the Streib ship (screen 8 in the interview with Thornton).

http://www.b5scrolls.com/B5ScrollsWo...m#Screen1_01_8

That sort of thing isn’t an animation file BTW. It’s just a series of still images which are flipped through like a book. Trying to create animations which every browser on ever platform will run is nigh impossible these days – and I’m not loading up multiple copies of 50meg+ files just to do that. Which is another thing. As well as being fully downloadable for folks to keep - the site is also designed for viewing on a desktop computer. Some phones will run it just fine, while others will wave their little metaphorical arms in disgust and make a bolt for the hills. The biggest issue will be the use of flash animations.

The reason for showing it here, and hopefully getting some feedback, is it’s a bit of a beta test. Getting feedback from folks who are viewing it on different configs, and browsers, is never a bad idea. So I can hear if there’s any issues with how it looks or performs.
Triple F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2017, 12:57 AM   #2
Amras
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Photoshop

Mode buttons and the pages in the section "other stuff" aren't working. But I guess you know that? ^^
Elite Dangerous: Inara
Amras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2017, 03:52 AM   #3
Triple F
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Yup. Just haven't uploaded all those flash files behind the mode button yet (those screens haven't changed at all) - and still deciding what goes into the other stuff.

I’m just wondering if I’m going too far with the content on some of the link boxes though. Some . . . . people, expressed concerns that a strawman argument was being presented in some of the interviews – that I’m making up a false reason for why I ended up contacting the ‘guys’ to find out who designed the ships - and if an issue existed then it would be easy enough to show examples. . . . . So that’s what I did (particularly on screens 14 and 15 of Ron’s interview).

http://www.b5scrolls.com/B5ScrollsWo...#Screen1_01_14

Then added a few more on something like that second link on the Muskrat screen.

http://www.b5scrolls.com/B5ScrollsWo...m#Screen2_01_9

The ones on the Shadow Battle Crab, and the Spitfire screens in particular aren’t exactly subtle. But being subtle in the past resulted in what it resulted in.

It’s not your typical kind of fan site, so in one respect they fit right in. But I’m not sure it was the right thing to do at the same time. It might sound a bit bizarre, but I get the impression from various comments that jms and some of the folk around him think I’m mojo or someone who worked at FI?!
Old 17th Jul 2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Amras
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Photoshop

No subtle at all.
But you know that I like it.

As long as you are using quotes that everyone can find for themselves somewhere, I think its ok.

Although you could consider just showing those quotes and leave your sarcastic/biting thoughts out of it.
People with brains will get it without them and people without brains... well they are lost anyway. ^^
Something like this "So there’s either something wrong with her (and fair a few other B5 fans), or there’s something wrong with where they’re getting their information from. " is probably unnecessary.
Elite Dangerous: Inara
Amras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Triple F
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

That’s exactly the kind of bit I’m unsure of. I’ve got a pretty sardonic sense of humour so it’s nice to see how letting it slip in there might come across – another pair of eyes. Cheers, exactly the sort of feedback I’m looking for. . . . . Though it means I’m going to have to f’ing find it all now to take out. : )
Old 17th Jul 2017, 05:12 PM   #6
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

I don't think there's any issue as-is. It doesn't interfere with the info being presented (I can recall one or two tutorials that included more ragging on former coworkers than instruction on techniques), and it helps provide context for new readers, allowing them to skip over all the rigamarole about who said what where that's popped up before.
Old 18th Jul 2017, 03:49 AM   #7
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Continues to be an amazing resource

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe