Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Submit Tools Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th Jul 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
iczer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce Maya Poser Illustrator Photoshop

Default Why I hate Mountain Lion (OS 10.8)

I upgraded to Mountain Lion (Mac OS X 10.8) from 10.6.8 (snow Leopard); I needed to since Blizzard will be stopping older OS support when the next expansion, Mists of Pandaria, comes out. So I've lost the use of LW 7.0, LW 7.5, Mimic 3 (DAZ), Quicken 2006 (my checkbook) and Maya 2008 (the program that i do ALL my modelling in). Not happy

I have the free maya 2012, but I've had this for a while and its only a 3 yr license.

Yeah me

If anyone knows of a work-around, please let me know.
iczer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2012, 01:14 PM   #2
SteveMoody
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Softimage XSI Vue Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

I would suggest running the older software in a virtual machine but i don't know how well the 3d software would work though.
SteveMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2012, 02:43 PM   #3
David cgc
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

I actually put off upgrading to Regular Lion until a couple months ago specifically because I was afraid of losing Rosetta support (which is kind of petty in retrospect, since the only things I didn't have upgraded to Intel-compatible versions were a few games that'll never be updated, anyway, because apparently computer games are disposable).

I ended up installing Snow Leopard on an external hard drive, just in case I needed to get to a PowerPC program in the future. That'll probably be your best bet. You could probably get away with just having it on a thumb drive or a small partition of your main drive. All it needs is the OS and various support files and whatnot— you should be able to use all your programs and documents off your main drive even when booted into SL.

I was about to say that Quicken was updated to a UB version after Lion came out and left people in the lurch, but that's Quicken 2007.

I'm just glad this looks like the last harsh transition for a while. OS X's Unix foundation should mean there won't be another OS transition like there was from Classic to X, X86 processors don't seem to be going anywhere, and to my understanding, the last part of the Mac that should get a renovation is the file structure, and that shouldn't break any programs.
Old 25th Jul 2012, 03:06 PM   #4
iczer
Premiere Member

Gallery

So, I install SL to a thumb drive/ External. and then just switch thru settings, which OS to use for Maya, and then switch back for ML for others?

As for Quicken, I DL'd 2007 and we're set.
Old 25th Jul 2012, 03:20 PM   #5
David cgc
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer View Post
So, I install SL to a thumb drive/ External. and then just switch thru settings, which OS to use for Maya, and then switch back for ML for others?
Yep. It's a bit of a pain to reboot to run just one or two programs, but it's absolutely doable.
Old 28th Jul 2012, 12:25 PM   #6
iczer
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ok, weird thing happened.....

First, I can't even load the 10.6.8 installer from the disk; it's a PPC application... (grrrrrrr)

But, a strange thing happened: I can now use Maya 2008 still..... go figure.

Thank you for the suggestion, I even bought a 32GBflash drive for it.. and now I can't create the boot drive <shrug>
Old 28th Jul 2012, 10:56 PM   #8
iczer
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK08 View Post
DO NOT BOOT OSX OFF A THUMB DRIVE.. worst thing you could do is run an operating system, unless it's an installer on OSX off a thumb drive. (ESP OSX) Find a copy of Parallels or VMWare and install 10.6.8 in there.

OSX uses the Hard drive in ways you wouldn't imagine, and 32 gb is hardly enough for the OS to run smoothly enough to run anything worthwhile. Now.. on to issue number 2...

Lion did away with Rosetta so this has been known for a long time already and Apple even told people to get newer versions of their apps, at least get UB versions over the past TWO YEARS. Granted I have some stuff that I like to use that's still Rosetta (D2 comes to mind as does the Sims 2) But... 10.8 also has a ton of new features and security fixes that make it a worthwhile upgrade.
Been using 10.6.8 up to Wed; never used Lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK08 View Post
(and I really hate to say this but if you're gonna run apps as old as LW7 you really need to find a copy of 10.4 or 10.5 and use that in VMWare, both of those have native PPC coding and do not rely on the Rosetta emulation that's in 10.6)
I really don't use LW, even tho i did want to try Treybor's Firefly tutorial. Maya 2008 is my poison; since I can't afford upgrades But since Maya 2008 still runs (knock on wood) Im all good.

edited to add: 10.6.8 is an Intel only OS with emulation in it, there's no PPC installer for 10.6 - 10.6.8 so i dunno what the issue is there. It is impossible for 10.6 to be a PPC installer.[/quote]

When I tried to use the installation disc, the icon was greyed out, and it said, "can't use a PPC application." But since the maya still works... no harm no foul ^_-
Old 29th Jul 2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I checked in on the Blizzard forums and a Blizzard employee has confirmed that it is OS 10.5 which will no longer be supported. OS 10.6.8 will be fine. When Mountain Lion comes out, Snow Leopard will drop to the status of "soft support", which means the game should continue to run, just don't expect speedy replies to any support questions.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2012, 12:36 PM   #10
iczer
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
I checked in on the Blizzard forums and a Blizzard employee has confirmed that it is OS 10.5 which will no longer be supported. OS 10.6.8 will be fine. When Mountain Lion comes out, Snow Leopard will drop to the status of "soft support", which means the game should continue to run, just don't expect speedy replies to any support questions.
I read about that on the Mac beta forums. The patch that came last week, didn't work on systems that were still 10.6.8; but they fixed it. If you goto http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...support-update and read, it mentions the "soft support" and eventually will be discontinued. I just read a "blue post" that states, 'I think that most Mac users, may've "paniced", yes like me, but what is done is done. So if by the time MoP comes out, in 2 months.... I'll know that I will definitely be able to play the game.

At this moment, I should change my subject to: I tolerate Mountain Lion The only programs that I've lost the ability to use is: Lightwave 7, 7.5, Adobe Bridge, Quicken 2006 (fixed that by Downloading Q2007) and Shade. So Since I can still use Maya 2008, i'm a happy camper.

The new features are kinda cool. ;-)
Old 29th Jul 2012, 03:12 PM   #11
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I'm still on Snow Leopard. I didn't see anything in the new features list of Lion that would be of any use to me. I'll deal with Mountain Lion when it becomes absolutely necessary, especially in light of my personal economic depression.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe