Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 13th Jan 2014, 10:48 AM   #1
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery
Blender Photoshop After Effects

Default Star Trek - U.S.S. Coronado, Katana Class Starship

This one's going to require some backstory. But please do read it, as it will answer what are sure to be inevitable questions.

In 1991, the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual came out, as a codified version of the show's technical bible intended for public consumption. At the very end of the book, the authors (Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda) included a set of four drawings for the potential future direction starships might take, ranging from familiar to bizarre. One of those designs has a pretty clear lineage in becoming the Sovereign class (albeit with a widened saucer, rather than the elongated one that Sovereign ended up with). Another of those designs, though, had an interesting arrangement of modular segments comprising its saucer, along with wide warp nacelle pylons meant to allow the warp nacelle position to change mid-flight (an idea that would eventually manifest with Voyager's variable warp nacelles).

An artist you might have heard of, Mark Kingsnorth, made a rough model of this ship in the late 1990s that gained some notoriety. It came to the attention of a fellow named "Jester", who asked for Mark's permission to use images of the model on a Star Trek IRC-based role-playing game website. The name of that game was U.S.S. Coronado...and I was one of the players.

Mark's interpretation didn't quite fit with what Jester wanted out of the ship. Jester called it the Katana-class, a frigate-sized ship centered around two major technologies: the launching of small, one-man fighter craft and the use of quantum slipstream drive (originally featured in the Voyager episode "Hope and Fear"). A neophyte CG artist myself at the time (1999), I offered to take a crack at providing Jester with an "in-house" version of the model that we could use to make any sort of shots he wanted. I knocked together a (by current standards) crude model in trueSpace, and away we went!

Later, in 2003, another player (and close friend of mine) on Coronado would build a new set of 2D orthographic blueprints, riffing on Sternbach's original design and incorporating the various design elements that Jester had always intended for the game, namely the "slipstream" deflector as seen on Dauntless in "Hope and Fear" and catapult-style hangar bays for the ship's Spectre class fighters. Having improved in skill significantly since the first trueSpace model, and now working in LightWave, I used these blueprints to make a new model of the ship.

The game ended in 2004, after 7 full years. Jester chose to end it then, since it mirrored the seven seasons enjoyed by TNG, DS9, and VOY. As a gift to both Jester and a wedding gift for the blueprint maker, I had a 36x24" poster of the ship's ortho renders and a few action shots, accompanied by specifications and signatures from many of the players, printed out for each of them, as well as myself. My copy currently hangs in my living room.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of Coro's last game, which took place at the end of August. For the finale's decennial, I wanted to create a new model that goes back to the sources that first inspired Jester -- Sternbach's original design and Dauntless from "Hope and Fear" -- and more intelligently incorporate design elements that would speak to the Katana class's lineage -- namely, those seen on the Sovereign class.

(Side note: Mark Kingsnorth went on to revisit his original take on Sternbach's design, which has gained quite a bit of notoriety as the Insignia class.)

So far, I have been focusing on locking down a completely new approach to the aft saucer, taking a lot of cues from the Sovereign lines on the dorsal surface and trying to more closely match the Dauntless lines on the ventral surface. I've been doing a lot of quick, rough renders and mock-ups, then painting over them with my Wacom tablet in Photoshop to explore different lines and arrangements. I'm using the player-made blueprints as a starting point for scaling, but not treating them as sacrosanct the way I did for the 2003 model. The following images show the evolution of the model from Jan 9 through to today.

Saucer design exploration, focusing on the flight deck and impulse area

Stardrive design exploration, emphasizing the Dauntless-esque shape.

My goal is to have the model render-complete by the end of August, 2014.

Finished: Ambassador Class | T'Varo BoP
WIP: U.S.S. Coronado | UEDF Illustrious Defender | His Imperial Majesty's...

Ashes of Alour-Tan | Tutorials | Blog
McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2014, 08:34 PM   #2
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

I remember this ship from the book. Great job, I always wanted to see what these ships would look like in 3d.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2014, 11:16 PM   #3
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Thanks, lonewriter!

Finished merging the saucer and stardrive into one continuous mesh this evening.

Still have some cleanup work to do before the subsurf is smooth enough, but it was far less of a bear than I expected it to be. I love how hunchbacked the ship ended up looking with the catapult platform drawn way far out into the stardrive. Before, the slope from what used to be the impulse deck was very gradual and kind of boring. Now? Coro is out to give someone a beatdown.

Since someone elsewhere asked, the Spectre fighters were indeed basically Trekked up Wing Commander Bearcats. For a long time, the only reference we had for what Spectres were supposed to look like was a painting of a Bearcat. I took a crack at modeling a low-res one, meant to accompany Coronado in her renders, when I did the second version of the ship in 2003. I'll probably do the same thing again for this one, going a little more Trek and a little less "hey, this is straight out of Wing Commander..." this time, too.

For now, I just took one of the old renderings and slapped it on a box for scale reference.

Old 14th Jan 2014, 06:52 AM   #4
starship
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop

Well, since you´re in this world since that age, you´ll understand the following lines.

After seeing the title, I got surprised "Ouch!!! Katana (from Scifi-Art) and his ship returned!!" But after seeing that you´re the wip owner and the first post in this thread, I figured it was a completelly different story.

Therefore, I remember of Coronado´s site. Never played there, but visited the site from time to time. I think that Coronado also figured in some rendereings posted in the old Star Trek Australia, I´m right?

Interesting to see the influences and convergent ideas... Mark has his own site running these days, and his most famous starship (the Insignia class) has a saucer (and other thingies) to much similar to the Coronado. The old Discovery Class built by Dan Crout back in 2002/03, has a deflector with this same unusual shape, as the new Discovery class built by Andrew (based upon Joshua Samuelson, A.K.A. Madeinjapan1988´s schematics) back in 2007/08.

About your new version, I do like it, but I think the sec hull still needs some development. It looks a bit.... hummm... blocky for now.

Hey, as a side note, I see you´re almost an old man, as me. Do you know the old 3d-gladiators and scifi-art groups/sites?
starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 07:07 AM   #5
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship View Post
After seeing the title, I got surprised "Ouch!!! Katana (from Scifi-Art) and his ship returned!!" But after seeing that you´re the wip owner and the first post in this thread, I figured it was a completelly different story.
Yeah, I recall the "other" Katana class. I don't think Jester was even aware of it when he named Coronado's class, though. I was, but I didn't have a role in picking the name, and I'm not going to change an aspect of the game lore just because it conflicts with someone else's choice of name.

Quote:
Therefore, I remember of Coronado´s site. Never played there, but visited the site from time to time. I think that Coronado also figured in some rendereings posted in the old Star Trek Australia, I´m right?
Not that I ever authorized, to my knowledge. If they lifted stuff off of the Coro site, they did so in violation of the site's terms of use and without my consent.

They may have used Mark's older Nova mesh renderings, though. Obviously, I wouldn't have any say in where those get used.

Quote:
Interesting to see the influences and convergent ideas... Mark has his own site running these days, and his most famous starship (the Insignia class) has a saucer (and other thingies) to much similar to the Coronado.
Every similarity between Mark's Insignia and Coronado stem from that original drawing Rick Sternbach did for the STTNG TM.

I made an infographic to explain.

Quote:
The old Discovery Class built by Dan Crout back in 2002/03, has a deflector with this same unusual shape, as the new Discovery class built by Andrew (based upon Joshua Samuelson, A.K.A. Madeinjapan1988´s schematics) back in 2007/08.
Given that Dauntless showed up in 1998, that isn't surprising. That style of deflector almost certainly stems from Dauntless's appearance in VOY, introducing the quantum slipstream drive (which Coronado, being a ship from a time 25 years after VOY, possessed).

Quote:
About your new version, I do like it, but I think the sec hull still needs some development. It looks a bit.... hummm... blocky for now.
Oh yes. There's still a ways to go in refining the shape! That said, some of the blockiness is deliberate. I want her to look like she's a hunchbacked brute, rather than a sleek and elegant explorer.

Quote:
Hey, as a side note, I see you´re almost an old man, as me. Do you know the old 3d-gladiators and scifi-art groups/sites?
Sure do! Seeing some of the old, old Sci-Fi Art stuff is one of the things that got me motivated to learn 3D in the first place.

A couple of minor updates, most of which are barely-visible tweaks to the geometry and clean-up. The "chin" still needs a lot of massaging, as do other parts of the cage, but I'm not going to worry about it too much until I need to actually freeze it. Cleaning up the cage only to add more detail usually means all that cleanup is for naught!

Old 21st Jan 2014, 09:58 PM   #6
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Been making steady progress each night, but having been posting it because it's incremental and probably boring to most folks. Finally made enough visible progress that it feels worth posting, though!

Old 21st Jan 2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Matt
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Ah, it's taking form

It's an inescapable truth in this world that you have to grow old, it's inevitable...
...but that does not mean with any certainty that you have to grow up
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2014, 08:34 PM   #8
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Thanks, Matt.

This isn't really a 3D update, but I've been plinking away at doing a paintover to plan out where details/surfacing/etc. are going to go. I've been heavily referencing the Sovereign class, with a dash of Intrepid thrown in here and there. I don't intend to fully paint over the whole image; rather, just enough to get a plan in place before I start throwing geometry around. That's why only one module is painted over, one half of the ship, etc.

The windows are actually geometry that's been face-snapped onto the saucer and extruded slightly. The windows are all 0.75m across (some crude measurements of Sovereign windows indicated a width somewhere between 1.9 and 3.8 feet, leaning more toward the former). Since the decks are 2.45m from floor to ceiling (Coro is deliberately meant to feel more cramped than most Starfleet ships), I made the windows 1.35m tall, raising 1m off the floor and giving a 10cm clearance between the top arch of the window and the ceiling.

The inner-most windows shown (Deck E) are actually portholes when viewed edge-on; 0.75m circles. It's only the extreme slope of the deck that makes them look so elongated. If you were standing inside the ship facing out one of those windows from where the "top" starts, you'd have 5 meters between you and the bottom of the window, which is awfully huge for a porthole. The Deck F windows (next row out) are the same vertical height as the Deck G (outermost) windows, yet they stick into a room almost as far as the Deck E portholes do. The Deck G windows, for contrast, only stick in about 1.8m -- much more reasonable. So, I may ditch the E and F windows entirely.

The non-module windows have a different arrangement pattern than the modules do. The modules all share the same pattern.

I threw some annotations on the modular components to indicate intended functionality and relationships. The main phaser array interlocks emitters between the modular segments and the module spars, creating a single continuous strip regardless of the ship's mission configuration.

C&C (and suggestions!) welcome.

Old 8th Feb 2014, 09:26 PM   #9
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Here's where I left the paintover and decided to come back to modeling:

And here's the current state of the model! The main hull is frozen and optimized here, though the modules, nacelles, and bridge (not pictured) are still unfrozen. I actually frozen the main hull at two detail levels (2 subdivisions and 3 subdivisions), then chopped certain pieces out of the 3-sub mesh and welded it into the 2-sub mesh in order to deal with some segmentation issues. Worked out surprisingly well and isn't a trick I've tried before.

The hull texture on there is just something I slapped together to test for UV distortion (of which some does appear along the center axis, which I'll need to clean up) and probably won't end up as a final texture in any way.

Old 9th Feb 2014, 05:07 PM   #10
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

There isn't really any visual progress here, but the modules and modular connectors are all UVed, frozen, and optimized now.

Old 9th Feb 2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Matt
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Well I can tell the difference...

It's an inescapable truth in this world that you have to grow old, it's inevitable...
Old 10th Feb 2014, 11:46 AM   #12
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

Sorry I haven't checked in much but this is looking better and better. Man that'll mess up the English majors.
Old 10th Feb 2014, 12:27 PM   #13
biotech

Gallery
3DS Max Bryce Poser Terragen Vue Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro

Nice work.

I had the book that came from, and a hell of a lot more.

My personal favourite of ships that never were is the shark voyager.
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2014, 09:28 AM   #14
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Thanks, Matt, bmckain, and biotech!

Per request of some other folks, I put together some videos of my process.

First, someone asked how I did the "fake" paint-over windows by using Blender's face snapping.

Second, here's a very long (45 minute!) video capture of my entire process of integrating a 2-subdivision and 3-subdivision mesh for the nacelle into a single piece, using the higher-res where necessary. Includes a quick viewport render at the end.

Sadly, I didn't have any on-screen display so none of the hotkeys I'm hitting are obvious, but hopefully the methods are clear.

Definitely watch them in 720p, full-screen, or you'll probably have a hard time seeing stuff.

Old 11th Feb 2014, 09:32 AM   #15
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

That's a cool post, imo.
Old 11th Feb 2014, 10:39 PM   #16
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Thanks, bmckain!

Everything's now frozen and optimized; that means it's time to start cutting! My first stop was the large Spectre fighter catapult bay. I decided to make this an open-air bay rather than two separate conduits to give maintenance crews easier access to a craft on one side or the other, allow for common feeds (fuel, munitions, etc.) to be housed in the midline and service both catapults, etc. The (eventual) doors will be "garage door"-style segmented doors, like those on the main shuttlebay of the Galaxy class.

Here's a quick viewport render of the frozen bridge module, too.

Old 12th Feb 2014, 10:52 PM   #17
Pheylan
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Modo Vue Paint Shop Pro

This is really shaping up nicely. Although the ship in the upper left of the reference picture is my personal favorite, you are doing a really great job on this version.
Old 13th Feb 2014, 08:08 AM   #18
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheylan View Post
This is really shaping up nicely. Although the ship in the upper left of the reference picture is my personal favorite, you are doing a really great job on this version.
Thanks, Pheylan! I actually really like the upper-left ship, too. The bottom-left just happened to be the design that Jester picked for Coronado, presumably after seeing the initial proto-Nova class renders Mark did and getting permission to use them. So, thus was Coronado's design selected.

I spent some time yesterday fooling about with lighting and tone mapping with my Ambassador as a guinea pig to figure out the workflow for that. The results are pretty cool! I then continued working on the Spectre bay interior. The exterior spine needed more interior representation, and the bay was cavernous enough that it felt like it needed more structural support, so I continued the spine's structure into the bay as a sort of aqueduct-like shape. This still allows crews to easily flit from one fighter to the other, but makes the ship a bit more sturdy.

All of this is still light by onepoint light and one emissive "fill" plane outside the ship, with a very small amount of the AO pass added in. The rest of the illumination is due to the tone mapping, which I am just so excited about. I'm actually going to ditch everything but the single point light, which I'm going to convert into a "sun" (think "infinite" or "distant" light) light. With tone mapping, that should be all that it needs and it should make the resulting images much richer.

Old 13th Feb 2014, 11:27 PM   #19
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Started adding detail to the modular wedges, in the form of Deck 3's windows!

The windows and rooms are a bit more complex than on my Ambassador. There, the windows were just cut-outs in the hull, with full-emissive UV-mapped texture boxes behind them. This time around, the windows have two polygon layers of actual "glass" that includes a slightly glossy surface. The rooms are still UV mapped boxes, but the shader is more complex: the "top" of the box is full emissive, but the rest of the room is a mixture of diffuse with emissive hotspots. In other words, the rooms are not just providing light, they're also being lit this time. Should make for somewhat more realistic looking interiors...not that you'll usually see anything this close-up anyway.

I also did away with my old lighting rig and have gone to a single "sun" lamp model now, with all of the fill light provided by indirect bounce and tone mapping.

Old 14th Feb 2014, 11:41 PM   #20
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

This took way longer than it had any right to!

These panels will end up being dark, dark gray once they're textured, with some light gray trim. See the paintover several posts back for a clearer idea.

Old 15th Feb 2014, 03:51 AM   #21
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Of course, had I filleted the corners first, then extruded and beveled, I would've saved myself a lot of trouble! The next three panels took a total of only fifteen minutes.

Pushed through to finish out the various panel blocks for the modules and put the windows into the deck 6 sub-modules.

Here's an OpenGL shot of what the modules look like without their sub-modules plugged in:

Old 15th Feb 2014, 11:22 PM   #22
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Spent most of the day on this, other than a break to watch the US vs. Russia hockey game.

There are some mesh errors around the top of the deck 8 windows (the outer-most ones) that I still need to deal with.

Old 15th Feb 2014, 11:28 PM   #23
Matt
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

That early texture makes it look like the MACO uniforms on Enterprise... just saying

Old 16th Feb 2014, 01:07 AM   #24
darklight
Registered Member
 Gallery
Photoshop

I!
Love!
This!
Ship!

It should replace the Insignia-class.

Quick question.
Is the saucer pieces modular?
darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2014, 07:07 PM   #25
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
That early texture makes it look like the MACO uniforms on Enterprise... just saying
Yeah, yeah. It was partly just for UV sizing/stretching checking and also to experiment with a way of rapidly, randomly generating the sort of techno-paneling seen on the Sovereign class. The latter was somewhat meh, but the former worked like a champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight View Post
I!
Love!
This!
Ship!
Thanks!

Quote:
It should replace the Insignia-class.
Well, that's a little overboard. Mark's Insignia and my Katana are both inspired by the same Sternbach design, but perhaps they both represent different ways Starfleet is experimenting with modular spaceframes? Plenty of room for variations.

Quote:
Quick question.
Is the saucer pieces modular?
Indeed they are! There are two levels of modularity at play here.

The idea is that you'd have a number of prefab module wedges that sit around ready to be picked up by a starship as-needed. They're fully self-contained, so basically they could just sit floating in space near a starbase and a ship could swing by, dock with one, and head out on its mission.

Some modules are going to be dramatically different than others, necessitating a completely different interior structure than other modules. But not all of them! Some modules may not need any large structural changes, but only smaller mission-specific components swapped out. Perhaps you want four module types to all contain living quarters. That's where the sub-modules come in. They're designed to be pulled out and plugged in by a starbase (or other drydock facility) to create the prefabs the ships ultimately use.

From a modeling POV, it also lets me change the superficial components of each module without too much hassle.

Windows and paneling (and "shield grid reinforcements") on the ventral module surface. That blank flat area between the Deck 10 windows and the sort of square-bracket-shaped paneling will be home to the ventral phasers and banks of escape pods.

Old 17th Feb 2014, 10:07 PM   #26
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Decided I didn't like the existing module connector spars, so I deleted the old ones and rebuilt them. The new ones remain flush with the module hull until one "room" prior to the edge of the module. The outer edge now lines up with the proper thickness of a deck, too, and the dorsal and ventral flat surfaces also correctly coincide with decks.

Then I made phasers.

The inset area has a different material than the rest of the phaser structure, so I can fool about with the shader and make it "light up" as it prepares to fire.

Old 18th Feb 2014, 04:56 AM   #27
starship
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Photoshop

Good work all around!
I just think that 3 sets of recessed windows per module is to much... make it a bit ... huuum... busy. Maybe two sets could fits better. Just a suggestion, of course!
starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2014, 05:05 AM   #28
colkai
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Motion Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Thanks, Matt, bmckain, and biotech!

Per request of some other folks, I put together some videos of my process.

First, someone asked how I did the "fake" paint-over windows by using Blender's face snapping. ......

Definitely watch them in 720p, full-screen, or you'll probably have a hard time seeing stuff.
Thanks for that McC, I'm getting into Blender myself now and stuff like this is very informative. (I tend to slip up and expect LW tools / workflow at times. ).

Want to learn to model?
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281
'Nuff said.
Old 20th Feb 2014, 12:19 AM   #29
McC
Webmonkey

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship View Post
Good work all around!
I just think that 3 sets of recessed windows per module is to much... make it a bit ... huuum... busy. Maybe two sets could fits better. Just a suggestion, of course!
I'm actually planning to make several variants for that sub-module. Some will only have two notches, some will have three notches in a different configuration, and some will be like the ones pictured. I'm just using one all around for now while I build the rest of the ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkai View Post
Thanks for that McC, I'm getting into Blender myself now and stuff like this is very informative. (I tend to slip up and expect LW tools / workflow at times. ).
Glad to help!

So, tonight's update has no discernible change (other than the addition of the dorsal phaser strip) from the previous, despite representing two evenings' worth of intensive work! First, the pretty renders:

And now the technical explanation of WTF. It turns out that Cycles, in order to be faster, has a somewhat imprecise ray-to-triangle intersection algorithm. This manifested on Coro here in the form of the light from the interiors leaking through polygon seams! It wasn't too bad at high light levels, but in dark renders it looked terrible. On a hunch, I decided to see what would happen if I fully enclosed the room objects, giving them an interior wall (instead of making them more like open TV sets) with inward-facing normals to ray-intersect with the emitted light. Much to my relief, this actually worked like a charm! Of course, it was also a huge pain in the butt to vertex-snap all of the interior walls to the inside edge of the window inset, hence why it's taken me two evenings to do!

Here's a before/after image with the exposure cranked way up.

Let this be a lesson to any Blender folks out there who plan to put rooms behind their windows!

Old 22nd Feb 2014, 11:16 AM   #30
Sastrei
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

Lesson noted!
Sastrei is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress