Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who Textured it Best?
CthuluSucksVoids 5 14.71%
Ethangar 0 0%
Johne5 1 2.94%
JVogel 0 0%
MooseDog 4 11.76%
TheSleepingDog 24 70.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th Feb 2008, 07:31 PM   #1
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Default Feb/08 Texture Challenge Poll

OMG!! Its that time again! Where on earth did the time go?! Been upto my eyeballs lately with work and school and exams so .... I'm a little late on the draw.

Any who... A big thanks to all those that entered. There are some interesting takes on a simple mouse. Who knows.. maybe Logitech is watching

Here they are in no particular order...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CthuluSucksVoids001.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	6169 Click image for larger version

Name:	Ethangar001.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	6170 Click image for larger version

Name:	johne5_001.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	6171

Name:	JVogel_001.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	6172 Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse_moosedog.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	6173 Click image for larger version

Name:	TheSleepingDog003.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	6174

Once again... lets keep it to one vote.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2008, 07:44 PM   #2
JackN

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS View Post
... There are some interesting takes on a simple mouse. Who knows.. maybe Logitech is watching ...
If they are anything like a certain unnamed flashlight company then I hope not...

Anyway, this was hard...

especially with one vote.

Cthulu gets my vote although I had two others I was torn over.

JackN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2008, 09:06 PM   #3
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
If they are anything like a certain unnamed flashlight company then I hope not...

Anyway, this was hard...

especially with one vote.

Cthulu gets my vote although I had two others I was torn over.

Ahem, fook the flash light company. I quit buying maglites after that. I wonder if they considered that possibility? One of these days I must learn to control the inner voice but hey, why start now?
Old 27th Feb 2008, 09:08 PM   #4
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

I came, I saw, I voted and now I want one of those pretty red tribal mice by SleepingDog.
Old 27th Feb 2008, 10:48 PM   #5
Josh2481
Contributing Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Vue Photoshop

I'm normally a fan of a silent vote but this time I'm going to say that SleepingDog got my vote.
Old 27th Feb 2008, 10:59 PM   #6
The Sleeping Dog
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Corel Draw Corel Paint

CSV, Maybe it’s the lighting that is through me off or the fact you but reflection on the ground plain. I do like the simple idea and the added scuff marks are a bonus nice touch. The …though I think that is the result of not enough render time.

Ethanger: how in the world did you come up with that cloth effect it not to shabby though maybe a tad to much reflection/gloss …looks great on the buttons. Is that a procedural texture I’d be interested in having the parameters.

Johne5: I really like the finger print idea! Well done though I better fade from centre to edge would improve the effect or using multiply and or screen to soften the print. One of the last texture challenges we did before LWG because extinct, was to texture a harmonica, if I can find the scene I’ll send along the texture parameters for finger prints…

Jvogel: wow all about colour!!!!! I can see the slight texture bumping on the surface.

I like Moosedog upper body shell from the angle it hard to tell if its a snake skin or sorts...though I wish ther was closer view of the texture...nice DOF BTW I have seen snake skin cover mouse before an dthat what your's reminds me of.

Mine: Thanx McBain, the dragon artwork is from a 2D piece I’m currently working on for another project but it's far from done and there was only minimal detail, but it's coming long very well.

Overall I do like all the renders..but where is the maglite version lol lol lol lol...ooooops I did a lit one but decided not to use it.
Old 28th Feb 2008, 01:26 AM   #7
SiathLInux
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Gimp

This was not an easy choice ... as Johne5 did a great job with the brains
GIMP 2.4.3
SiathLInux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2008, 08:30 AM   #8
JVogel
Registered Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Photoshop

Wow! So many nicely textured mice (or is it meese... meeses?) Scuffed up, cloth, brainy, fruity, and glossy paint... great job!
Old 28th Feb 2008, 07:36 PM   #9
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sleeping Dog View Post
Ethanger: how in the world did you come up with that cloth effect it not to shabby though maybe a tad to much reflection/gloss …looks great on the buttons. Is that a procedural texture I’d be interested in having the parameters.
Actually there isn't really much to it. I UV'd the mouse and started with this.

Name:	CarbonFibre.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	6201
Then it was off to gradient land for the reflection, gloss and spec. I threw that same image in in Multiply mode to give it some variations. Then a really small fractal noise bump. And of course an HDR for an environment.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
Old 28th Feb 2008, 08:53 PM   #10
The Sleeping Dog
Registered Member
 Gallery

thanks E, try viewing the texture at full screen...stare at it for a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woohooo
Old 29th Feb 2008, 05:00 AM   #11
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Try making it
Lemming World
Old 29th Feb 2008, 08:30 PM   #12
DELTA
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender Bryce LightWave Mudbox Photoshop Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckain View Post
I came, I saw, I voted and now I want one of those pretty red tribal mice by SleepingDog.
Me too! Can I have mine in a nice wireless high resolution optical? LOL

after the votes are tallied, I would like to see them all reposted at a higher resolution

Nice work everyone.... I was not able to enter this one.... this is how my work weeks have been going.., 24hr, 12hr, 12hr, day off, 24hr, 12hr, 12hr, start over...

Again, Very nice work everyone.
Star Trek was a big piece of my childhood... Spock got me interested in the sciences, Scotty got me interested in engineering, and Bones got me interested in healing...Oh, and Kirk got me interested in leadership and Green women...
DELTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Animasta
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Photoshop

Good entries all around, but TheSleepingDog got my vote. I felt it was the best overall.
Animasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2008, 01:02 AM   #14
Pendraia
Registered Member
 Gallery
Poser Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Nice work everyone.
Pendraia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2008, 05:25 AM   #15
David Myers
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop Combustion After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

Thumbs up

I agree that this is a very nice collection of textures (and meese).

Ethangar: I liked your texture, paticularly on the buttons. Thanks for posting your self-made image map. It looks like it would also be good for cloth fabrics as well (tweed for instance). Just out of curiosity, what did you use to unwrap the mouse mesh?

Johne5: Though its been described as "brain-like" I think the green color makes it look much more like snake scales and I can almost see a snake's head there. All it would need to complete the impression would be to texture the buttons as snake eyes. It would have, of course, an extremely long tongue and instead of being "fork-tongued", it's a USB tongue with four instead of two splits (the contacts).

JVogel: Although your mouse body and buttons seem very smooth and flat, when I really zoom in they actually have a very nice micro texture. I really liked your color mapping. Are those images you created in photoshop? If so I'm curious about how you did the tie-dye-like effect on the buttons. You should try applying them to a scarab beetle or a jewelry version of a scarab with a higher glossiness. It would be very beautiful, especially if you could do the legs in gold trim - it would look like the enamel finishes that are used in some jewelry. Any modelers out there interested in creating such a piece of jewelry?

Moosedog: Your mouse body texture looks very elegant, like tooled leather. It might show up even better with less diffusion or a lighter colour.

SleepingDog: What can I say. Everyone wants a mouse like that, but I think the cord and bottom side seem too flat in comparison to the top surface. It could probably benefit from some micro texturing bump so it looks a little less CG like. Nice detailing on the bottom and USB plug. I thought of making some polys transparent on the metal surface of the USB plug and letting the light shine through to the inner surface like you did, but didn't get around to it, but I did texture the inner surfaces and the contacts and made them fairly realistic.

Again, great work everyone. When I first saw the object, I thought, it would really be a boring object, but decided to use that as a challenge to try to go realistic, taking a good close look in my box of old meese, so it was a very good exercise for me.
David Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2008, 06:20 AM   #16
The Sleeping Dog
Registered Member
 Gallery

David,
Just re-read my initial post and don't know what happend I was editing text and correcting some spleeing and had obviously meesed up the first paragraph, so....

The level of additonal detail on your mosue is a ncie touch, especially the usb plug. I didn't notice tthe 2 slots were not transparent until you mentioned it..had to take a second look. The only aspect I did liek is the ground reflection, to distracting
Old 1st Mar 2008, 08:58 AM   #17
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Myers View Post
Ethangar: I liked your texture, paticularly on the buttons. Thanks for posting your self-made image map. It looks like it would also be good for cloth fabrics as well (tweed for instance). Just out of curiosity, what did you use to unwrap the mouse mesh?
All I use for uv work any more is UVLayout. Worth every penny of the price. Makes UV'ing almost fun I just did a top and bottom and flattened it out some.
Lemming World
Old 1st Mar 2008, 11:04 PM   #18
JVogel
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
I agree that this is a very nice collection of textures (and meese).
JVogel: Although your mouse body and buttons seem very smooth and flat, when I really zoom in they actually have a very nice micro texture. I really liked your color mapping. Are those images you created in photoshop? If so I'm curious about how you did the tie-dye-like effect on the buttons. You should try applying them to a scarab beetle or a jewelry version of a scarab with a higher glossiness. It would be very beautiful, especially if you could do the legs in gold trim - it would look like the enamel finishes that are used in some jewelry. Any modelers out there interested in creating such a piece of jewelry? .
Yes, the images used for the textures were all photoshop. The idea was to have a fruity mouse... apple body top, orange body bottom, kiwi buttons, vine cord, lime usb. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 08:10 PM   #19
David Myers
Registered Member

Gallery

Hi all. Congrats to TheSleepingDog. I just wanted to put in one more plug for multiple votes - 3 when there are at least six entrants. I know I've brought this up a lot back on our previous site, but I feel that newcomers can get discouraged if they don't even get one vote and when we have three it allows you to spread your analysis and appreciation around a bit. I don't really thing its very likely to change the outcome of who wins, but it does encourage people to keep trying - its like the difference in elections between a winner-take-all and "proportional representation" methods - for instance the Democratic Party primaries in the US - or in the case of Canadian F3D members, the two Canadian provinces that are starting to have referendums on various proposed proportional representation voting systems for provincial elections. I also think more people are likely to explain why they made their three votes the way they did and therefore give everybody more feedback (constructive criticism) on their work. Any comments or feedback are welcome.
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 08:39 PM   #20
JVogel
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Hi all. Congrats to TheSleepingDog. I just wanted to put in one more plug for multiple votes - 3 when there are at least six entrants.
I just gotta say that I didn't enter in this for any votes...(heck, I didn't even vote for my own!) I just had a lot of creative fun trying to think of something unusual and out of the ordinary... I did it for me... not for votes. I do agree that if there are a lot of entries, maybe more votes should be alloted. What I do enjoy are reading the constructive, positive comments. My vote goes to Ethanol? (Ethanger, BillS..?) edit.. dang the poll is closed... sorry Ethunger. jeff
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 09:20 PM   #21
JackN

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVogel View Post
I just gotta say that I didn't enter in this for any votes...(heck, I didn't even vote for my own!) I just had a lot of creative fun trying to think of something unusual and out of the ordinary... I did it for me... not for votes. I do agree that if there are a lot of entries, maybe more votes should be alloted. What I do enjoy are reading the constructive, positive comments. My vote goes to Ethanol? (Ethanger, BillS..?) edit.. dang the poll is closed... sorry Ethunger. jeff
That's actually "Eggnog" when in the month of December...
JackN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 10:12 PM   #22
The Sleeping Dog
Registered Member
 Gallery

I agree with multiple votes...even with only a few participants

this was fun...let's do it again.
Old 4th Mar 2008, 01:55 AM   #23
David Myers
Registered Member

Gallery

He Bill, I didn't know you were into that corn whiskey stuff?
Old 4th Mar 2008, 05:01 AM   #24
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

You guys is funny Congrats Mr. Dog! I'll be in touch tonight after work In the mean time if you guys want to find some objects for us to play with... I wouldn't be offended at all.
Lemming World
Old 4th Mar 2008, 07:47 AM   #25
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Quote:
You guys is funny Congrats Mr. Dog! I'll be in touch tonight after work In the mean time if you guys want to find some objects for us to play with... I wouldn't be offended at all.
I was given a cassette tape for the TC if you want me to send it your way.
Old 4th Mar 2008, 09:38 AM   #26
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Oooo, cassette tape, I might even try that one.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2008, 10:14 AM   #27
The Sleeping Dog
Registered Member
 Gallery

Quote:
Thanx Mr. E,
Old 4th Mar 2008, 05:44 PM   #28
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Sure Bob. That would be great!

OK people. I'm at a total loss for objects to use for the contest. I normally try and find things that can have more than one surface type on it. So if anyone knows of any free sites that have some for download or YOU have some Please pipe up. I just don't have time to troll around for hours looking for places to grab the objects from. I'm still interested in trying to make things look like real world surfaces. Someday I want to try that in a different thread than the TC.

Oh and if you find something.... don't worry about the format. I can convert just about anything.
Lemming World
Old 4th Mar 2008, 06:08 PM   #29
The Sleeping Dog
Registered Member
 Gallery

everyone check out this link realtime 3d models of just about anyhtin goyu can think of from office equipment to clothing

http://archive3d.net/?category=222

just use tghe pull down menu at the top to select an area and click the filter button to list the items in that area

Bill you want to contact me?

Scott
Old 5th Mar 2008, 06:39 PM   #30
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

And March's run is up for you.

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1767
Lemming World

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing