Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > References
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 31st Mar 2015, 09:21 AM   #1
dew_back
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Corel Draw Photoshop

Default REQUEST - Refit Enterprise Sets

I'm mostly looking for behind-the-scenes and construction images of the TMP/TWOK bridge and other sets.

One of my main objectives is to finally figure out how the bridge consoles are constructed as there is a bit of a paradox, it seems. In ways, it seems like they should be flat surfaces at an angle, and in other ways, it seems like they should have the curvature of the bridge (lathed angled surface). I'll explain more on that later, with images.

I'm also looking for Engineering (and Reactor Room), Transporter Room, Kirk's Quarters, Torpedo Bay, and basically any other set from the Refit (TWOK-version).

I can make all the screen-captures I want of the DVD versions of the movies (haven't figured out blu-ray capture, yet), so what I'm really looking for is behind-the-scenes images and blueprints.

Also, post-production images of what happened to the sets after filming was complete would be nice.

Thanks!
dew_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2015, 11:01 PM   #2
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

I've been doing some research on this myself. It's kind of orthogonal to the project I'm actually working on, but I found some interesting tidbits. There's not a lot of material online, but in the last couple of years there have been a lot more diamonds and a lot less rough.

Attached is a scan showing the original construction of the bridge and engineering sets (in their original Phase 2 guise), and a drawing of the braces from the radial corridors.

Here's a diagram of the sets as they were when TMP was filmed. The book Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise also has several drawings of the sets, but they don't quite correspond to that diagram (especially the quarters). I'm assuming they were idealized to better fit into a starship rather than on a stage. If you don't have a copy of the book or want the images digitally, I'm sure there are detailed scans floating around on line of the illustrations.

Here's a diagram of one of the wall consoles on the bridge (again in Phase 2 form, hence the weird chair), so that should help you get a handle on the angle of the screens.

For blu-ray screen caps of all twelve movies and (most?) episodes released in HD, Trekcore is invaluable. They don't always have the exact frame you need, but they grab enough so you'll have a sample of most angles seen in the film.

Prop auctions have been another good source for graphics and set blueprints. The pictures are medium res, and many are partially covered up, but they can give you important clues. Plus, isn't it cool to see Andrew Probert's first drawing of the aztec pattern?

Ex Astris Scientia has an article on reused Trek sets that goes pretty well over how the sets were modified in later years.

There can be issues with making a copy of a copy, but I know at least two other people who have been working on long-term projects to recreate the TMP sets (or other interiors of the same generation), Starstation and Rigel 7. They both talk about their discoveries while researching, though, so it'll give you a leg up on your own project. I've linked to particularly useful posts for each, but you should look around their whole blog histories.

That's all I can think of right now. If I remember anything else big, I'll post another reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16103369260_2ebc941e5a_b.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	77683  Click image for larger version

Name:	16270178866_6f523a1a78_o.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	77684  
Old 1st Apr 2015, 01:06 PM   #3
dew_back
Registered Member

Gallery

Wow. Thank you so much. These are resources (most of them) that I've never seen before, nor would I have been able to find them on my own without a little direction.

In the next day or two I plan on taking some time to make some HD captures (I think I finally figured it out!) of frames that aren't available on Trekcore. I'll try to duplicate the caps I took from DVD. The only console that's completely shown in close-up, pieced together from several shots, is the helm when Khan is desperately searching for the override, though most of the weapons console is shown, too (now I find out that may have been a miniature. Thanks for the reference!).

I wish more construction plans were available. The studios know people would buy them for franchises like Star Trek. It's pointless to keep them hidden.

Anyway, I truly appreciate your assistance. Time to get some more research done!
Old 1st Apr 2015, 01:15 PM   #4
dew_back
Registered Member

Gallery

More than that, though, I have a couple of people who've nearly completed or completed theirs whom are hopefully available for some brain-picking.
Old 1st Apr 2015, 11:32 PM   #5
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew_back View Post
The only console that's completely shown in close-up, pieced together from several shots, is the helm when Khan is desperately searching for the override, though most of the weapons console is shown, too (now I find out that may have been a miniature. Thanks for the reference!).
Which reminds me further of the old Enterprise Flight Manual. It's actually a copy of a book prepared during the production of TMP/Phase 2 for the actors, so they would know what buttons did what. The diagrams are rough, and some consoles were changed when the set was redesigned during the shift from TV show to major motion picture (with other modifications made for the next two movies), but they give a decent overview of many parts of the bridge. Plus it's proof of how over-designed the bridge set was for a film, since it was originally expected to be a series so they couldn't anticipate what might need to be interactive or what sort of functions they might need to invent for new episodes.
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 09:48 AM   #6
dew_back
Registered Member

Gallery

Yup, I have about four copies of that. I kept hoping to get a cleaner version. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Over-designed is what I love about that bridge. It actually feels "real" to me.

Wish we could get our hands on the original plans that those prints were taken from!
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 09:58 AM   #7
dew_back
Registered Member

Gallery

A little background on that second print you linked to in your first reply. I don't remember if it was me or Sean Robertson (Seanr) that actually marked that print up with the dimensions and added the misspelled "outter" wall comment, but that was back when I was first working on this bridge, and I either shared that marked up image with him, or he with me (I honestly don't remember now).

That print is out of Phase II The Lost Series, a book that actually has a couple of prints that I found invaluable for my project, as well as a few things in the text of the book, if I remember correctly.

I bought a new copy of it for my redux.
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 11:10 AM   #8
dew_back
Registered Member

Gallery

I'll update the bridge profile image with new measurements shortly. The add-on measurements (Arial text) are wrong. I'm just trying to figure out one last measurement and then I'll be able to post it.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > References