Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > References
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 7th Apr 2015, 09:53 PM   #1
Puguglybonehead
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Cinema 4D LightWave Photoshop

Default REQUEST - Interstellar: Ranger references

I finally got around to seeing Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar." Liked it, for the most part. I was particularly impressed with the design and concept of the Ranger SSTO craft. Very well thought out and close to fact in it's overall design. Lifting body, hypersonic-favored rectangular nose, wave-rider profile, aerospike engines. All close to what was being worked on for projects like the X-33/Venture Star program (sadly cancelled) and similar projects.

I was impressed that the FX crew went to the trouble of 3D printing the Ranger models in various scales so they could shoot them live for more realistic interaction with the cameras and lights. Novel approach. Moebius models will be releasing a 1/72 scale kit (based on the actual 3D files from the film) but it won't be out until the 4th quarter of 2015.

I'd like to take a crack at modeling the Ranger in Lightwave, but I haven't been able to find any blueprints or orthographic views of the model. I'm not great at working from 3/4 views and random angle shots. Anybody know where to find some good reference shots of the Ranger?

Otherwise, I guess I'll be waiting for the kit's release, building it, then taking my own.
Puguglybonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2015, 07:44 AM   #2
JackN

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

You can start here though there doesn't seem to be a lot out there yet for it.

Interstellar Ranger SSTO images on Google

I just got the DVD recently and could take some frames for you privately if you want.

She is pretty. Kind of reminds me of Craig's Ark for Digital Muse in a way.
JackN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2015, 07:47 AM   #3
JackN

Gallery

Seems there is a model for Kerbal Space already:

http://www.curse.com/shareables/kerb...tellars-ranger
Old 8th Apr 2015, 07:49 AM   #4
JackN

Gallery

Here's an interesting bit from Space dot com:

http://www.space.com/27694-interstel...fographic.html
Old 8th Apr 2015, 08:11 AM   #5
biotech

Gallery
3DS Max Bryce Poser Terragen Vue Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro

Not sure I agree on this quote though
Quote:
Defying today's fashion of 3D computer-animated spaceships, "Interstellar" relies on physical miniatures. A real model will catch the light and move in a more realistic way than computer graphics can
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Puguglybonehead
Registered Member
 Gallery

Thanks for finding that stuff Jack. The Kerbal models appear to be not so accurate, but I guess for game purposes they'll do. I've searched a lot of movie sites. You're probably right about screen-caps being the best bet for now.

Maybe the FX company's website might have more. Too bad they're not like the people from Zoic were, back when Galactica was still new. Orthographic views could be found on sites like StarshipModeler and whatnot.

Going to pre-order the 1/72 model kit as a safe bet. Hoping for a sequel to this flick as well.
Old 8th Apr 2015, 08:11 PM   #7
Puguglybonehead
Registered Member
 Gallery

As far as the use of real miniatures to capture light and play well with the camera, real physical models were also used in Star Trek Enterprise, (for the NX-01 itself) and in "Serenity."
In the case of "Enterprise" getting convincing metallic surfaces worked better with real metallic paints (which really do have metal in them!) than attempting to get it right in 3D surfacing.
In Serenity, I believe they used a physical model of Serenity for the crash landing scene. Possibly other scenes as well.
Old 10th Apr 2015, 11:31 AM   #8
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotech View Post
Not sure I agree on this quote though .
I thought that was bs too. In my opinion, 3d models look more realistic that physical models.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2015, 06:54 PM   #9
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I have a few "Interstellar" based ideas in mind for imagery; I didn't have time to watch it in the movie theater, but I bought it via Amazon Prime and watched it twice in the last two weeks. It's truly a masterpiece from my perspective. They may have used the romantic idea of how we could perceive space-time in the end, but what do we really know? Nothing. We're just theorizing, even Professor Hawking, and there's hardly anyone who did more for the research on black hole related quantum physics than him, admits that. But I'm off-topic by

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some community shots (or have a model to play with). I'm working on my version on the "Mann-planet" (or a small part of it) for an 'in flight' shot at present, and I have an idea on how to do the wormhole effect as well, so that would be nice!!
Old 10th Apr 2015, 07:00 PM   #10
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewriter View Post
I thought that was bs too. In my opinion, 3d models look more realistic that physical models.
I wouldn't call it b/s entirely, it all depends on the artist. I absolutely do believe in the superiority of 3D models, simply because you are not restricted; except for imagination and comptuer resources.

Physical models can be nice for still shots, or closeups, if they're done well, however, I have seen super high-detailed 3D model shots, where you'd really have to guess. And not only in the professional field. Just look at the Atlantic thread in the WIP section here...

The main downfall for CG models are the textures. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the JJ Abrams Trek reboot, however, I will give them one thing: The Enterprise looked marvelous with all the specularity, and metal reflectivity. That's what you need. Stop making it look like plastic from the 1960s, and you won't have a problem.

I've just been rewatching some Stargate SG-1 recently, and I really, really had to cringe at some of the CGI. In particular a scene when they are crashing an Asgaard ship into Eath's ocean (the episode when the Replicators get introduced). That was just..... bad. But then it was the late 90s, early 2000s and for the time it was nice. I wished they had used more models so it could still hold up today, but they had barely started using CGI in Star Trek around then.
Old 10th Apr 2015, 11:40 PM   #11
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

I think each has its place and i agree with overseer that the textures is often what lets them down. The more geometry the better, less sharp edges, plating that are polys not texture maps and higher resolution texture maps where needed.

Hell matte paintings have been around decades and some still stand up even now and are still used extensively.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2015, 11:56 PM   #12
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
Hell matte paintings have been around decades and some still stand up even now and are still used extensively.
Yes, and you can easily incorporate 2D matte paintings into 3D environments by projecting the image with one camera, and render it with another. It's really nice if you can stack layers of 2D images and just have to actually only render a few 3D models in a sequence; without losing any quality.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 08:39 PM   #13
Puguglybonehead
Registered Member
 Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by overseer View Post
I have a few "Interstellar" based ideas in mind for imagery; I didn't have time to watch it in the movie theater, but I bought it via Amazon Prime and watched it twice in the last two weeks. It's truly a masterpiece from my perspective. They may have used the romantic idea of how we could perceive space-time in the end, but what do we really know? Nothing. We're just theorizing, even Professor Hawking, and there's hardly anyone who did more for the research on black hole related quantum physics than him, admits that. But I'm off-topic by

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some community shots (or have a model to play with). I'm working on my version on the "Mann-planet" (or a small part of it) for an 'in flight' shot at present, and I have an idea on how to do the wormhole effect as well, so that would be nice!!
I'll be curious to see your Mann planet. The wormhole effect should be interesting too!
Old 19th Apr 2015, 01:33 AM   #14
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puguglybonehead View Post
I'll be curious to see your Mann planet. The wormhole effect should be interesting too!
I believe Shrox was working on the back hole effect in LW.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2016, 09:17 AM   #15
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery

It's still early work in progress I'm afraid; I've been having very little time for artworks with work, overtime, and some personal issues on the radar, but it'll happen, I'm sure.

I've also been working on the Interstellar wormhole effect with various shapes combined, and texture maps, but nowhere near a result I'd call good enough to even show off as WIP.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > References