Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

3D Tutorials and your questions on your particular 3D application. Or post questions for general 3D help.

Submit Tools Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Mr_Leet
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects

Default LightWave - Realistic lighting and shading for a space scene?

Okay, i'm doing a spacebattle. Yeah, yeah, i know, overdone sci-fi. Anyway, for the scene I want, I need to know how to shade spaceships and the area like they do in TV shows like Stargate, Battlestar, etc.

Does anyone know how I could achieve this effect with this scene/on this model? I have no freaking clue on how to shade metal realistically, so I need a bit of help here.

Its for a stick figure video I'm working on.

Trailer #1

Oh, and it would be cool for this model too.

Yeah yeah, I know, my modeling/shading/lighting/texturing sucks... Any way I can improve?
Old 1st May 2010, 08:22 AM   #2
3D_CG
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Poser Terragen TrueSpace Vue ZBrush Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Digital Fusion

Location: Spokane Washington, North Side in a quiet neighbor hood, Tell I start My Harley, Then its NOISY...

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetuto...0/lighting.htm

http://cg.tutsplus.com/articles/web-...ave-tutorials/

"Remember The Vets who fought for our Freedom" ...
Intel I7 980 OC'D to 5.1 GHZ, Water Cooled, Gigabyte MB
32 gig ram, 5 HD's, GTX 560 Ti (x 2)
LightWave 11.6.3, 32 and 64 bit
3D_CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I was going to point you towards Kier Darby's website (he had excellent lighting tutorials) but it does not seem to be available any longer.

Basically, you use a distant light which is the KEY light and represents the light from the sun. Then you put in a FILL light, which can be distant or area and represents the light from the planet or other nearby bright object. Then add one more light, usually a distant light for the KICK light.

The KEY light would be something strong because it's supposed to be the sun, so run it up anywhere from 120% to 200%, really dark shadows. The FILL light you would set to be about 30% to 70% depending on how close to the bright object you are and how bright that object is. The FILL should also be coloured similar to the predominant colour of the bright object. The KICK light should be anywhere from 35% to 75% as well and be similar in colour to the sun.

The KICK light should be set up so that when you are looking through the camera, it is creating highlights on the edges of the model from behind the model.

Another trick I have learned here at F3D is to turn off AFFECT SPECULAR on these lights and put in another light which only affects specular; call that light SPEC. This allows you to control how strong or weak your specular highlights are without adjusting all of the lighting.

Below are three example scenes based on Kier Darby's tutorials. Play around with dropping your ship into each scene and see what it looks like rendered out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LightScenes.zip (3.0 KB, 145 views)

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Starbase1
Contributing Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

What he said!

A couple of other things I often do...

For something near Earth, I generally use a spotlight, with a shadow map set to very soft shadows for filling from Earth.

I like to use radiosity, it would work very well for objects like your samples - although normally thought of in terms of light bouncing off of walls, it lets complex shapes like yours self illuminate, which can look great. Try and light from the side to emphasize this.

This would also let your bright orange areas light nearly parts of the ship - you may have to crank up the strength to 200% or more for it to work. Add a subtle glow in image processing (subtle!) to emphasize the effect.

If you start a work in progress thread we can be more speciifc and I am sure many will join in!

Just use a big polygon with an image map for nearby planets - these render faster and are much easier to get right. A really big one adds drama, and alsoprovides something for shiny surfaces to reflect, emphasizing the shape.
Old 4th May 2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Starbase1
Contributing Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

While I am at it, I think your broad strong specular highlights are spoiling the look a bit.

Also try adding a gradient for reflection, keyed on incidence angle, so you get subtle reflections at shalllow angles. let me know if you;'d like a sample surface...

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D